Steel making is pain in the ass.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Make the Steel Cruicible hold fuel for 24h

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:01 am

See title, I have like 300 wrought bars in my base and the only reason I don't make them to steel is because I don't want to be bound to rushing to my computer the first thing in the morning to refuel the fkn steel cruicibles same like before going to bed. I play a lot and the one day I decide to do something productive should not be cucked by refuling steel the first thing in the day.
This change would help me to refuel the cruicibles at a time that I chose and it would still take the full 56h or so to get steel while having to do something for it.

pls
Pommfritz

Re: Make the Steel Cruicible hold fuel for 24h

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:32 am

- Not having time to log on a video game because you have a real life and you work is not the same thing as "lacking the skill" to achieve steel, loftar or jorb.
- Having to wake up in the middle of the night to click your mouse 6 times in a video game is not "requiring high-level of skill" to achieve something in a video game, jorb or loftar.
- Having a video game forcefully decide your daily schedule isn't a thing that attracts more players to said video game. It is a video game after all, not a job or even second life as some of the local autists religiously live up to, loftar or jorb.
- Forcing people to team up with players from other time zones and saying it's a valid argument against my first 3 arguments isn't valid. I should decide who MY friends are, based on MY OWN expectations from other people, and the time zone should not be a mandatory factor, jorb or loftar.

Inb4 loftar tells you to set up a bot to do it, or play in a 40-man village that will always have someone available to handle the pointless tedium. This is tedium. Setting an alarm on my phone is not "skill". Handling tedium is not "skill".
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Sevenless » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:05 am

Serious question: What's the point of having to refill the crucible at all if it's not a ball twister of destroying real life to make it?

If we're making arguments about the game being disruptive to real life schedules due to weird timing mechanics, and we agree that's bad so we change it, I can see no valid reason why steel needs to be refilled at all. Change fuel requirements to only black coal or something (someone more familiar with current metal quality mechanics feel free to tell jorbtar why this is a good or bad idea).

Introduce a new player to that mechanic and they wouldn't bat an eye at it, it fits with how the game cooks many other things after all.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:13 am

Nightdawg wrote:- Not having time to log on a video game because you have a real life and you work is not the same thing as "lacking the skill" to achieve steel, loftar or jorb.
- Having to wake up in the middle of the night to click your mouse 6 times in a video game is not "requiring high-level of skill" to achieve something in a video game, jorb or loftar.
- Having a video game forcefully decide your daily schedule isn't a thing that attracts more players to said video game. It is a video game after all, not a job or even second life as some of the local autists religiously live up to, loftar or jorb.
- Forcing people to team up with players from other time zones and saying it's a valid argument against my first 3 arguments isn't valid. I should decide who MY friends are, based on MY OWN expectations from other people, and the time zone should not be a mandatory factor, jorb or loftar.

Inb4 loftar tells you to set up a bot to do it, or play in a 40-man village that will always have someone available to handle the pointless tedium. This is tedium. Setting an alarm on my phone is not "skill". Handling tedium is not "skill".

thatescaltedquickly.jpg

I remember 2manning steel with my buddy in w1-3 when I played on and off and even then we failed sometimes because we had to go study/ go to school or something.

Sevenless wrote:Serious question: What's the point of having to refill the crucible at all if it's not a ball twister of destroying real life to make it?

If we're making arguments about the game being disruptive to real life schedules due to weird timing mechanics, and we agree that's bad so we change it, I can see no valid reason why steel needs to be refilled at all. Change fuel requirements to only black coal or something (someone more familiar with current metal quality mechanics feel free to tell jorbtar why this is a good or bad idea).

Introduce a new player to that mechanic and they wouldn't bat an eye at it, it fits with how the game cooks many other things after all.

yea I thought about that too, idk 24h seems fair and low level engaging if there should be some process to it
Pommfritz

Postby Vigilance » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:33 am

tbh since i've always treated steel like a grand village task DUTY, and even within the confines of +/- 3 hour timezone differences its really easy to not fuck up the 12hr window, i dont generally think it needs to be made a mandatory guaranteed task in its existing form. everyone that needs steel mandatorily for their existence (pvp-oriented or people that are planning to rush mineholes while steel actually matters and isn't commonplace float-fuel) already runs steel bots/has people to manually fill the 12hr timeslots, to the point where even if steel crucibles held 48 hours it'd make virtually no difference. kinda agree entirely that 12 hour mandatory babysit is a tedium but i think its a perfectly reasonable tedium as it stands, i'd honestly just prefer some of the more common sinks (arguably realm flags? different topic tbh) just be deleted or changed.

if steels getting adjusted at all, iron as a whole should receive a rework to be slightly more interesting instead of "mine rock, spit rock in to my coade smelters, throw it in my finery forge, pray to fucking god i'll be there and not forget when its finished (hello yes timer man) because i don't want to walk back to a bunch of slag and dross, then pound the ball-busting bloom in to a bar of wrought iron that i can jam in a steel box and ask my european friends to not kill my steel while i sleep."

alternatively make steel finish faster, but have quality accumulate overtime through time thresholds to emulate the tempering process or some similar bullshit so you can get your garbage steel on the quick and actually have to care to make good shit

signed, someone who has been running mining/industry hard since basically their entire playtime.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Steel making is pain in the ass.

Postby noindyfikator » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Solution:

Put coal/branches once for whole process and just wait. Why can't I play when I want, but I have to login every 12h to check my steel progress.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Re: Steel making is pain in the ass.

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Yeah I think the steel making process should be completely re-designed. Instead of large 12h timer there should be shorter but more intensive work done. Kind of like how some metal stuff worked in salem.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby noindyfikator » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:42 pm

exactly, shorter and more work intensive.

maybe add more materials required etc. I remember setting my clock alarm every 11h to not forget about steel. It was so destructive for my mental health.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:58 pm

Long timer could still be kept to timegate it somewhat, but without any refueling or such.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm 100% confident nobody even minds a long timer, as long as you don't have to check on it every 12 hours.

But checking on it every 12 hours isn't a process, it's just mindless tedium.
Some other changes that wouldn't demand you wake up in the middle of the night would be really dope.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas