Steel making is pain in the ass.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Steel making is pain in the ass.

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:56 pm

it's not like I can just tell a buddy to watch the steel with me togethe

If your buddies are from geographically the same location this does not help.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Fostik » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:16 pm

Just an idea out of the box
While I'm not a big fan of making steel producing easier, since this will kill it's value, what about making it so that fuel type will determine how long the process will take, or how long fuel will power crucible?

For example steel crucible can last longer on charcoal or even longer on black coal, and with least time using wood as fire. Or alternatively fuel will determine how fast process is going, means on charcoal it will be ready faster than on wood, but slower than black coal.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Re: Make the Steel Cruicible hold fuel for 24h

Postby VDZ » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:42 pm

Steel taking 56 hours to produce is not the problem.
Steel having to be refueled to continue progressing after 12 hours is not the problem.
The problem is losing all progress whenever it runs out of fuel.

I see no issue with no-lifers being able to make steel more efficiently than less active players, keeping the crucible lit 24/7 to produce bars every 56 hours. But people who have a life outside of Haven, or who simply don't want their schedule to be dictated by a video game, should be able to make steel gradually without having their progress reset constantly. Fuel the crucible, get 12 hours of progress. Come back next day, re-fuel and re-light the crucible for another 12 hours of progress. Repeat until it's done. It will take people twice as long as the no-life method, but that's sufficient. Allow us to get some steel outside of trading (which is further impeded by the fact that you can't have a barter stand accept steel without owning steel yourself).

Vigilance wrote:everyone that needs steel mandatorily for their existence (pvp-oriented or people that are planning to rush mineholes while steel actually matters and isn't commonplace float-fuel) already runs steel bots/has people to manually fill the 12hr timeslots, to the point where even if steel crucibles held 48 hours it'd make virtually no difference.

For the most part I agree, but there is one major exception: The coinpress. As long as there is no widely used currency in the region (which takes a while, if it even happens), a coinpress is in practice mandatory for operating barter stands, and barter stands are very useful for hermits and small villages to trade for resources.
VDZ

Postby noindyfikator » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:00 pm

VDZ wrote:Steel having to be refueled to continue progressing after 12 hours is not the problem.

It's the problem as well. 24h would be more optimal.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:09 pm

We started botting steel this world. Getting people to do it (including myself lol) is like pulling teeth. Just make it easy. I don't care if it's interesting or challenging because right now it's boring and annoying.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby terechgracz » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:10 pm

noindyfikator wrote:
VDZ wrote:Steel having to be refueled to continue progressing after 12 hours is not the problem.

Infinity would be better. And because you can't have longer time - optimal.
terechgracz

Postby vatas » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:25 pm

Reminder that Crucibles used to hold fuel for only 8 hours.

Not meaning to object increasing the time Steel Crucible lasts with full fuel meter. Some good arguments here.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby VDZ » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:54 pm

noindyfikator wrote:

Why would it be a problem? Because it requires more active playing to get an optimal throughput? I think it's only fair that people who put in more effort get a better throughput. Steel is valuable because it takes effort to make. To make it a process that requires one-time setup and nothing beyond that would make it hardly any different from leather.

I don't mind steel taking effort to make. I do mind having to plan my life around steelmaking. (The same goes for taming, by the way, which I consider a bigger problem.)
VDZ

Postby meus » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:27 pm

Why should everything be easily achievable? There are enough nolifers that can give you a bar of steel for free, just ask in the chat.
meus

Postby VDZ » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:42 pm

meus wrote:Why should everything be easily achievable? There are enough nolifers that can give you a bar of steel for free, just ask in the chat.

What chat? The realm chat that doesn't reach you until two months into the world?

Anyways, the problem isn't that it takes effort. The problem is that you need to schedule your life around the game. Effort is fine, as long as you can do it when you want, not when the game demands you to play.
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas