Fix times

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Fix times

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:39 am

Every timer in the game should use real time, and specify minutes. I know this thread has been posted 100 times, but I don't understand how it's even a conversation. I can't imagine it's harder to do than adding a /3.29 somewhere, and removing a floor.

I understand that you guys want separate times in case you ever decide to do expeditions, but you don't need to do remove/change the underlying systems. Just changing a print statement would both be a big QoL improvement and help new players learning a lot. I refuse to believe Loftar's code isn't clean enough for this to be a < 5 minute thing. They're already differentiated by color globally.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Re: Fix times

Postby vatas » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:15 am

Could give in-game time units some larpy names like "Hearth-days" and "Hearth-hours?"
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:29 am

I don't wanna pull out my calculator and /3.29 every time I see "hearth-x". Again, I don't see how this is a conversation. Not using real time is RETARDED
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Massa » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:02 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:I don't wanna pull out my calculator and /3.29 every time I see "hearth-x". Again, I don't see how this is a conversation. Not using real time is RETARDED

the vibe would be questionable if the game had realistic day/night lengths man
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:09 pm

Not suggesting any mechanics or timers be changed at all, literally just want the math done inside the print statement and ideally an accurate time that includes minutes.

The vibe is also bad from having to google (24 * 3) / 3.29 every time I set a timer for a wrecking ball.
SnuggleSnail

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:24 pm

But when I play a game and see that it has its own day/night length, and am given a time, it would make sense that I have to use that game's time conversion. even though it was never explained and it sometimes does use the conversion and sometimes doesn't, for no discernible reason
DDDsDD999

Postby Southpaw » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:26 pm

at least add "Real world hours" or "ingame hours" so I dont have a stroke remembering whats what
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby Pommfritz » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:11 pm

good suggestion, wanted to make this thread as well a while ago but I forgot. I think the big issue I saw was that it's not consistent, I think for example a ram shows real world time until dry and a wball shows ingame time until dry iirc same with local ressources, for whatever reason they show real time while most other things in the game show ingame time.
real world time for everything sounds good.
Pommfritz

Postby vatas » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:54 pm

vatas wrote:Could give in-game time units some larpy names like "Hearth-days" and "Hearth-hours?"

SnuggleSnail wrote:I don't wanna pull out my calculator and /3.29 every time I see "hearth-x". Again, I don't see how this is a conversation. Not using real time is RETARDED

My original message should have had this as the first paragraph:

Southpaw wrote:at least add "Real world hours" or "ingame hours" so I dont have a stroke remembering whats what

Both should be given, ie: you inspect Wrecking Ball right after assembling it and it gives this:
Code: Select all
3 Hearth-days (23 real-hours)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Pommfritz » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:29 pm

I think from a game developing stand point you don't want to break the immersion so distracting from the game with real world stuff might not be the best way to larp around. I think an option to show times in real time or hearth time would be a win/win and default it to hearth time and obviously fix all the inconsistencies
Pommfritz

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas