(QOL) That site is occupied by ...

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

(QOL) That site is occupied by ...

Postby Xoatl » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:18 am

When trying to place something, especially in a corner or between two things, you got to play around with the placement using ctrl. Move it one bip that way or another until you stop hearing the annoying error noise and those awful red letters "That site is occupied!" and finally the sweet release of a plop met with a the warm glow of the beautiful construction you're about to build. You go about your day using your new contraption but at night you wrestle with the idea, "what if theres a better way?". What if instead of the game annoying me with that awful terrible obvious notification when that happens it can simply return the name of the object that is blocking placement. So instead you'll try to place, hear an error noise, look down and read "site is occupied by palisade wall". Aha! So the wall is blocking the placement of my smelter and not the stone mansion therefore I must move the placement in this one very specific direction instead of guessing.

More plop, less noise please and thank you.
Xoatl

Re: (QOL) That site is occupied by ...

Postby vatas » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:34 am

My personal "horror story" about this was how I had to adjust a palisade box because I thought I had made it too small for Log Cabin to fit inside. Turned out that a boulder, exact same color as the pavement, was camouflaged there and blocked constructing.

+1
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby jorb » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:17 am

Not all objects have server available readable names, so, idk, but will consider.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Xoatl » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:44 am

jorb wrote:Not all objects have server available readable names, so, idk, but will consider.

DEVS = GODS
Xoatl

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:20 am

If you're gonna improve the system I feel a better solution is:

• add bounding boxes
  • bounding boxes go red when object is going to be blocked
  • the bounding boxes of the object(s) blocking it also go red (or maybe a third color for better readability?)
  • maybe add a method to enable collision to your plob when a toggle is held so you can easily place things as closely as possible if it's low effort to do so
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby WowGain » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:00 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:If you're gonna improve the system I feel a better solution is:

• add bounding boxes
  • the bounding boxes of the object(s) blocking it also go red (or maybe a third color for better readability?)
  • maybe add a method to enable collision to your plob when a toggle is held so you can easily place things as closely as possible if it's low effort to do so

i like this i like this a lot
i know "bounding boxes ugly wah" but like- if there's just some time spent on the feature beyond just drawing a white 1px thick square around something that it can be made into a build-mode that could still look decent enough.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby mvgulik » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:36 pm

Snap it!

(server has virtually nothing to do anyway)

(... or else make it a client feature)
mvgulik

Postby Xoatl » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:41 am

mvgulik wrote:Snap it!

(server has virtually nothing to do anyway)

(... or else make it a client feature)

Yes snapping is the best solution of all but that requires work to get right :/
Xoatl

Postby pawnchito » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:49 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:If you're gonna improve the system I feel a better solution is:

• add bounding boxes

This is a good idea. Maybe if boxes are too ugly make the preview of the item go from normal colors to red or purple. Kind of like when you alt click a thing and it highlights it.
pawnchito

Return to Critique & Ideas