Whale Hearth and Magic

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Whale Hearth and Magic

Postby pawnchito » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:17 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Do you guys like that whale meat is obscenely OP and is the only way to make meaningful progress in the early/mid game, while still kinda being OP in the late game? I feel like you're asking for the wrong thing.

It's going to be way worse when Jorbtar turns whales into dungeons and forces you to 20man them early game to funnel whale meat into your miner btw

We should be asking for a whale scouting bot instead? It sounds like you suggest going the Blizzard route to nerf content instead of buffing the experience.
pawnchito

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:27 pm

Whales existing in their current state nerfs all other content in the game into irrelevance. It nerfs most players who don't know how to hunt whales into irrelevance. This will be true regardless of the mechanics to gather whale meat.

If food is going to be 90% of character development every food should be designed by a human with its impact on player behavior in mind, not RNG machine go brrrrr.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby pawnchito » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:37 pm

Whales are kind of like the legendary in wow, they are rare and kind of overpowered. Its the definition of RNG but in wow you can at least go to the right dungeon to farm the boss. Here we just kinda watch netflix and listen for alarms.

So then you dont disagree that finding big game is a problem? You just think the FEPS should be in line with other foods?

I agree the food should be designed to make more sense but thats a different story.
pawnchito

Postby vatas » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:59 pm

Whales should give absolutely ridiculous amount of decent meat, instead of big amount of broken op meat? Also, why don't you get any blubber?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby pawnchito » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:20 pm

Great solutions and critique for once you've found the whale. But the whale is still harder to find than a showered boi at a MtG tournament.
pawnchito

Postby WowGain » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:57 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Do you guys like that whale meat is obscenely OP and is the only way to make meaningful progress in the early/mid game, while still kinda being OP in the late game? I feel like you're asking for the wrong thing.

It's going to be way worse when Jorbtar turns whales into dungeons and forces you to 20man them early game to funnel whale meat into your miner btw

normalizing whale products to be more reasonable fep-wise is part and parcel of improvements to them including improving the way you track them down. my dousing rod idea applies to hunting more than just whales for the same reason of it just being a pain in the ass to wander around aimlessly hoping you just happen to find whatever animal it is you need to hunt.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Jalpha » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:05 pm

Serious question. Is this game intended to provide a pathway into programming for social retards?
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:07 am

pawnchito wrote:Whales are kind of like the legendary in wow, they are rare and kind of overpowered. Its the definition of RNG but in wow you can at least go to the right dungeon to farm the boss. Here we just kinda watch netflix and listen for alarms.

So then you dont disagree that finding big game is a problem? You just think the FEPS should be in line with other foods?

I agree the food should be designed to make more sense but thats a different story.

While you have a decent analogy, it doesn't really apply. You can only have one legendary per gear slot in WoW (and as of last few expansions, only a couple per character iirc). Here, you can keep consuming the legendary meat day in and day out, as long as you have a supply of it. (And FWIW, the WoW team will quicky nerf any gear, skill, or any other object that is found to be any level of OP as fast as they can create a plan of action.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby pawnchito » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:30 am

Alright well whales are like the unbound fragments of Val'anyr you need a bunch to make the legendary (your character). By the time you are farming legendary components (whales) most all other content is trivial except the most big of game (other players). Even if whales were weaker and more along the lines of Mammoth meat I'd sure as heck try and find them because its fun to kill those things. Trolls are big game with decent meat and awesome other rewards and we can get a better chance at summoning. Why not let hearthlings be a whalers?

My point is more that the whales are a powerful NPC that is fun to kill so it shouldnt be gatekept behind an unengaging AFK fest of simply alt - queeing a path and putting your client in the background while you hope you get lucky and monch on chips.
pawnchito

Postby telum12 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:05 am

pawnchito wrote:Alright well whales are like the unbound fragments of Val'anyr you need a bunch to make the legendary (your character). By the time you are farming legendary components (whales) most all other content is trivial except the most big of game (other players). Even if whales were weaker and more along the lines of Mammoth meat I'd sure as heck try and find them because its fun to kill those things. Trolls are big game with decent meat and awesome other rewards and we can get a better chance at summoning. Why not let hearthlings be a whalers?

My point is more that the whales are a powerful NPC that is fun to kill so it shouldnt be gatekept behind an unengaging AFK fest of simply alt - queeing a path and putting your client in the background while you hope you get lucky and monch on chips.

This can all apply while still nerfing whale meat to a place where it doesn't need 24/7 botting early world to stay relevant, as people have been saying.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas