Critique: Siege system

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Critique: Siege system

Postby noindyfikator » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:27 pm

Currently people (hermits mostly but smaller groups as well) can't go on vacation when playing H&H because someone can place wrecking ball and if you don't log every day, you can probably lose everything you was working on.
Then when a victim log in into the game, he will probably quit (99%).

There should be system to avoid that, I have no idea how to do that, just telling that requirement to log in every day to not lose everything is very bad.

I think commitment to play every day to not lose everything is also big factor why people quit game, because they know, if they stop playing, its over and you have to start almost from scratch (besides character)
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Re: Critique: Siege system

Postby Southpaw » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:42 pm

make sure that we also just delete the battering ram and the wrecking ball itself
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby Pommfritz » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:55 pm

I think both of your posts are great so that's a +2
also just logging in every day isn't enough. if I get sieged and am on vacation I'll probably not have time to defend a siege at all. not even talking about chilling on the beach and doing vacation stuff instead. like I'll probably not sit there with my laptop out and skip dinner and sleep when I visit my family having to play a computer game where I could lose everything I worked for for the last months if I don't stay up the next 24h. I might be overexaggerating a bit and also everything you do in a computer game is sort of meaningless anyway but people don't like losing stuff they worked on for months for no reason, you know xd
Pommfritz

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:21 am

Current siege system provides no chance for defender, even if you were online.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby telum12 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:28 am

shubla wrote:Current siege system provides no chance for defender, even if you were online.

That's such bullshit. Where's all the faction sieges then, since you can't defend against sieges? I mean, how many real sieges were there this world? A handful, and every single time the attackers had an overwhelming force compared to the defenders. The idea that defenders should be able to trivially defend against overwhelming odds is the biggest copium ever. Stop being a little crybaby because you can't play the game properly
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:51 am

telum12 wrote: Where's all the faction sieges then, since you can't defend against sieges?

Well obviously you can defend if you have enough fighters when compared to the attacker. Big factions have them. But rest of the players (99%) don't.

I've always been saying that siege will always be binary. Either attacker wins no question asked, or then the defendant wins. With only exception where the parties are of equal strengths etc. but this is rare.
Defendant winning is the best option out of those two if you consider that most players will be defenders.

I would like to hear from you how you would defend if the attacker had stronger/more chars than you.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
shubla

Postby telum12 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:36 am

shubla wrote:
telum12 wrote: Where's all the faction sieges then, since you can't defend against sieges?

Well obviously you can defend if you have enough fighters when compared to the attacker. Big factions have them. But rest of the players (99%) don't.

I've always been saying that siege will always be binary. Either attacker wins no question asked, or then the defendant wins. With only exception where the parties are of equal strengths etc. but this is rare.
Defendant winning is the best option out of those two if you consider that most players will be defenders.

I would like to hear from you how you would defend if the attacker had stronger/more chars than you.

Even if the attackers have more people, they won't be staying up for 24-hours (or probably longer, ainrand siege was what, 3 days?). If you're a weaker force, you can engage when attackers aren't at full strength. The only time this isn't possible is if attackers are OVERWHELMINGLY more powerful and there'll never be a time where your full force can meet their off-hour force.

I am assuming that you are butthurt because you've been pissing people off for years and more powerful villages are willing to spend their time sieging you. You singlehandedly defending against the most powerful factions in the game should not be possible.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby noindyfikator » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:55 am

Here I more consider requirement to play every day instead of siege mechanics itself
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:16 pm

telum12 wrote:
Even if the attackers have more people, they won't be staying up for 24-hours

You don't have to stay up 24 hours. You can set up alt that will alert you if somebody approaches ram and keep your fighter nearby in some pali safe you constructed. You can sleep with your hands in your pants as long as you wake up to kill the poor attempts to destroy the ram. If you are not alone but have villagers maybe even from different time zones, you don't even have to wake up from your sleep, but can instead have shifts. The effort to defend will take more hours than to attack in this case. Defendant only has few tries because you need quite a bit of strength and equipment to destroy it, and you get so big wounds that you have 1-3 attempts for 1 char.
Even if attacker was not camping 24/7, how would you know? You have those FEW attempts, after that, you can no longer destroy the ram as you run out of str alts/pickaxes/time etc.
If attacker has even somewhat competent fighters, 99% of playerbase cannot win even if they have more people. Also you cannot really know when the attacker has 5 fighters out of your screen or when he has 1. In most cases you wouldn't win even against that 1.

Also notice that most people have to go to work, have to sleep, have to do other things. If its 24 hour time window to defend. It may take 16 hours for them to even notice. And then they may have 2 hours of time for the whole defending operation before they have to go sleep/work etc.

This kind of attack can be used by almost anyone even somewhat competent at game against most players. Because devs seem to ignore it, I think only way to fix it is to repeat the knarr thing. That is, abuse the attack in as wide scale as possible to siege all noobs and make some nice videos about it. But I don't currently have enough interest to do that, and I think that devs should learn to think by themselves instead of always needing to show them these things holding their hands!
shubla

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:51 pm

ITT: People who've never interacted with the siege system explain siege
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas