New render breaks custom clients too often

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

New render breaks custom clients too often

Postby Fostik » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:29 pm

Subj.

Since new render has been implemented, some custom clients were reworked for it, Ender and Purus are most familiar between public clients.
Everything worked well so far, but since player population decreases, client developers stopped client development.

Many things got broke right now:
- Setting a price on barter stand causing a crash
- Applying stitch patch to nasty laceration causes crash
- Random crashes while walking over base

On every new patch some new feature got broken.
I understand, not reproduces on vanilla, custom clients is your own responsibility, and blah blah blah, but hell, why is it so unstable? Nothing mentioned above wasn't changed or reworked, so why is it causing crashes?
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Re: New render breaks custom clients too often

Postby telum12 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:42 am

Fostik wrote:Subj.

Since new render has been implemented, some custom clients were reworked for it, Ender and Purus are most familiar between public clients.
Everything worked well so far, but since player population decreases, client developers stopped client development.

Many things got broke right now:
- Setting a price on barter stand causing a crash
- Applying stitch patch to nasty laceration causes crash
- Random crashes while walking over base

On every new patch some new feature got broken.
I understand, not reproduces on vanilla, custom clients is your own responsibility, and blah blah blah, but hell, why is it so unstable? Nothing mentioned above wasn't changed or reworked, so why is it causing crashes?

I doubt that's due to render. More likely some of the following:
- Custom res jars lead to res version-mismatch when they're updated by devs because they're not part of the code and they have a semi-hacky res-loading system that doesn't support modification
- Devs change something about the message structure and for whatever reason it doesn't propagate properly into the code because of changed the custom client devs have made
- The custom client devs make a mistake in the merge

I think the devs could make things a lot better for custom client devs by:
- Not doing this ad-hoc res jar bs and just including all the code in the client
- INDENTING THEIR FUCKING CODE OH MY GOD THE MERGE CONFLICTS
- Actually telling us what they change in the patch notes
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby mvgulik » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:46 am

I don't know about the Purus client. But as far as I can tell, the Ender client is as stable as the Vanilla client.
(apart from some, relative rare, multiple client usage issues. which in all likelihood also affect the Vanilla client.)
mvgulik

Postby vatas » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:28 am

I recently logged in to check if I had completed Nomad to make sure a forum post of mine was accurate, noticed that my village had been maintained by the one remaining dude, ended up resuming playing.

Been using Pasta and had zero stability issues, but I haven't done any of the specific things listed in the OP.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Return to Critique & Ideas