Brownies

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Brownies

Postby Archiplex » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:35 am

Little magical hearth-beings, whatever.

What do they do? They automate some things.

Steel crucible running? Give a brownie some coal, and they'll fuel it up when needed.

Silkmoths going? Brownies will collect them and feed them.

Tired of ferrying goods? Brownies will carry things around your village for you.

Basically, an in-world source of automation; You could fuel them with experience, or maybe you have to summon them with hearth magic and they only remain for a period of time, after which you need to resummon them. Maybe the maximum you can summon is based off a stat, who knows.

Basic automation could be as simple as designating a 'source' inventory and a 'target' inventory, as well as maybe a 'quantity' - the brownie will always try to pull from the source inventory (stockpile, cupboard, etc) and place into the exit.

Could it be more complex? Yeah sure. Take inspiration from minecraft mods.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Re: Brownies

Postby abt79 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:26 am

+1

I don’t know what compelled you to suggest “brownies” as the name for less-than-human slaves but hey I’m here for it.
abt79

Postby mvgulik » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:51 am

... Cookies!!! Image ... :? ...

Lets see ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie

I'll go with Scouting -> Brownie_points -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(folklore) as potential source.
mvgulik

Postby WowGain » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:15 am

abt79 wrote:+1

I don’t know what compelled you to suggest “brownies” as the name for less-than-human slaves but hey I’m here for it.

This is why

Also +1, might as well try to have useless alts be lorewise seeing as they're still very needed for a lot of things
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:54 pm

Not sure if it'd be PC to call them faeries.... :shock:

WowGain wrote:

This is why

Also +1, might as well try to have useless alts be lorewise seeing as they're still very needed for a lot of things

IIRC, the English version of the cobbler story called them elves.

Love the idea. Anything so I don't forget to refuel the steel crucibles!!
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:06 am

The only problem I can see is that if the map is unloaded, will they continue working? There might be weird scenarios like steel where you would need to park a character online and within render for the total burn time anyways.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Archiplex » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 am

jordancoles wrote:The only problem I can see is that if the map is unloaded, will they continue working? There might be weird scenarios like steel where you would need to park a character online and within render for the total burn time anyways.

Could just have them load the map if they're present and active in an area. Let them be killed just like other creatures to make them no more abuseable than an alt.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:40 am

jordancoles wrote:The only problem I can see is that if the map is unloaded, will they continue working? There might be weird scenarios like steel where you would need to park a character online and within render for the total burn time anyways.

All I can say is... study tables work, steel crucibles work, leather, hides, etc etc all work without characters nearby and online. Granted, there was that problem with tanning tubs that one time....
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:50 am

In ideal world, the game should play itself.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Return to Critique & Ideas