Instant butcher

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Instant butcher

Postby Apocoreo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:05 pm

We've had our pigs reach as much as 65 meat quantity. They take longer and longer to butcher, especially with longer break between culls. We've had two people in our village who volunteered to take care of the animals quit from boredom and attrition and both cited butchering as the most tedious task.

My solution: the butcher animation plays once, you get all items instantly, including those from skinning and cleaning. If it fills up your inventory (and any open containers) you get an error message reading something like "You have no space to receive items" and you receive all the items you can hold, and have to repeat the process to get the rest. There's already hotkeys for dropping all of a specific item, so it's still faster if you only want the meat, for example. Also maybe you could do this all with just a right-click, no flower menu required.

I think this should include collecting bones too, but because I know you like it "immersive and cute", you could probably repurpose the hand-harvesting or foraging animation for collecting bones, if you could remove the plants being pulled up from it. This would actually make the process of butchering even longer but it would look better, and with the other changes I think that would be fine.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Re: Instant butcher

Postby vatas » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:30 pm

You have pig carcass that under current system gives, let's say, 51 units of raw pork. My suggestion is to make it instead give 5 "slab of pork" and one raw pork. "Slab of pork" can be split into 10 raw pork.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Seriouskai » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:27 pm

While we're at it, I think it takes too long to cut down trees. Might as well just make it take one chop to fell them so I can grow more trees in peace :)
Seriouskai

Postby jorb » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:49 pm

Don't hate at least something in this vein. Butchering is a bit cancer.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:17 am

Apocoreo wrote:If it fills up your inventory (and any open containers) you get an error message reading something like "You have no space to receive items" and you receive all the items you can hold, and have to repeat the process to get the rest.

Better: drop it on the ground. OR if you have open containers nearby, drop it into the containers, just like other crafting.

Another thought: have a "slaughter chute" that acts as some meta container you can put an animal in, and then butcher it with it collecting everything. Probably not feasible under the current server mechanics, though.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:41 pm

jorb wrote:Don't hate at least something in this vein. Butchering is a bit cancer.

Thanks, I got more ideas, was thinking a lot during my last call. The others have been posted previously though.

MagicManICT wrote:
Apocoreo wrote:If it fills up your inventory (and any open containers) you get an error message reading something like "You have no space to receive items" and you receive all the items you can hold, and have to repeat the process to get the rest.

Better: drop it on the ground. OR if you have open containers nearby, drop it into the containers, just like other crafting.

Another thought: have a "slaughter chute" that acts as some meta container you can put an animal in, and then butcher it with it collecting everything. Probably not feasible under the current server mechanics, though.

Currently it dumps excess meat/guts on the ground and I have trouble picking it up when it lands beneath the thing I am trying to butcher (I do skinning > cleaning > etc. on all culled animals at once). It also means I need to find a place to store the meat before it despawns which sucks when you're working with my volumes, and puts an annoying time limit on things. I like to do my culling while I'm working, during loading screens, so I normally take most of the day.

I do like the idea of the "Slaughter Chute", could tie into machines, be buildable in a windmill to justify the automation. Would have to actually work fast though, store lots of animals, or prevent them from rotting. Otherwise I'd still prefer to butcher my animals myself. I'd like to just lift and drop all the corpses into this monster have have the byproducts spat out into nearby cupboards or even on the ground.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby lordgrunt » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:23 pm

While it would be convenient to have a machine do the butchering, best way to aquire best meat cuts is by sskilledhand. And its been like that since forever.
Then how about this:build a tiny workshop and settle a stalagoomba inside to do the work. Give it cleaver or other Axe (which would affect time taken to process animal) and wait for our tiny worker do the job. Qualities of products I'd say should be like with grinding wheel in the mill, i.e. no change. Throw in animal after animal and collect products from some large internal inventory.
As a bonus watch stalagoomba work with his sharp implement on carcasses.
lordgrunt

Postby Apocoreo » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:52 pm

lordgrunt wrote:As a bonus watch stalagoomba work with his sharp implement on carcasses.

Stalagoomba slavery is a hilarious and adorable concept. +100
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby pawnchito » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:22 pm

Stagaloomba farm sounds whimsical. Just overall making these chores less sucky sounds great. +1
pawnchito

Return to Critique & Ideas