Silent animals of hearthlands

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Silent animals of hearthlands

Postby shubla » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:15 pm

Why are all animals in the game silent? Are they all severely autistic and unable to communicate? Animals such as birds, boars, bears, cows, sheep, should all make noises and sounds, bears roar, cows moo, sheeps baa, pigs oink and so on.
But not in this game! Not in this game! Easy fix, just warez some sound effects and add them to animals.

https://youtu.be/2Qa9YDgtcaM
Could also hire some nigerian guy like this to make you royalty free sound effects. I'm sure they'd not ask much due to geographical economical differences!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Re: Silent animals of hearthlands

Postby VDZ » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:25 am

The audio design in general could use some love. A while back I complained about the environmental audio not changing through the day. It's the kind of subtle touches that nobody explicitly complains about (or hell, even brings up for the parts that are in-game - I love how some biomes have unique music), but turn out to be pretty cool once actually implemented. I don't expect the devs to spend time 100% fine-tuning the audio for immersion, but I think there's definitely some easy wins to be gained here.
VDZ

Postby ErdTod » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:41 am

Audio when done right is what is left etched in your memories forever. I still get shivers from old Morrowind theme, or heck, even that beep-beep-boop Beep-beep-boop original house soundtrack from legacy haven, or that scandinavia-ish song that sometimes plays these days!

Sound design is def worth looking at!
ErdTod

Postby iamahh » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:02 pm

be cool if the soundscape was bigger than the landscape

so we could hear animals far away, follow the sounds and find the source, or not

seems the sea shore sound is already like this
iamahh

Postby vatas » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:16 pm

Grasshoppers make that noise they're known for in-game too.

However that's the only example I can think of, other than bats shrieking when they aggro.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Return to Critique & Ideas