Haruspex curio from Suckling's Maw

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Haruspex curio from Suckling's Maw

Postby vatas » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:32 pm

Title, I'm currently have more of these than I can possibly bother using and have old ones I don't feel like tossing away.

Also, Suckling's Maw could have flavor text something along the lines of "this is important for cheese-making and jewelry." To avoid newbie trap where people think this is just for a specific curio.

For people who have no idea what "Haruspex" is, they were ancient Roman priests practicing divination from entrails.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: Haruspex curio from Suckling's Maw

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:27 am

Just to note for any newer players seeing this: the curio already exists and is available pretty early. https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Grand_Haruspex It is entrails and intestines, not including maws.

Not sure I've played long enough to have an excess of maws. I usually get bored before that point. Until then, I usually eat them up making more cheese (always need more cheese!) or goldbeater's skins (need to replace the silverware every once in a while, and always need to improve quality of jewelry).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby MadNomad » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:08 pm

I am assuming that you meant that maws could be used instead of intestines or entrails, so you wouldn't need any of those

so we would have two crafting recipes for them

perhaps the new curio could be named "maw haruspex", and have more base LP and shorter study time, as maws are more valuable than intestines or entrails

vatas wrote:jewelry

for this you probably won't use too many maws, as for those you do not need as much as you need for cheese

unless you're making jewelry for whole hearthlands
Last edited by MadNomad on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadNomad

Postby Procne » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:15 pm

I think nomore uses should be added to it. Maws are late-game item, used for high-end stuff like cheese and jewelry, to a point where people make huge livestock farms, and then complain about how much effort it takes. With that in mind I feel no more incentives should be added to make even more animals.
Procne

Postby MadNomad » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:17 pm

Procne wrote:no more incentives should be added to make even more animals.

it is just an alternative, there are plenty of good curios that you can use to fill these 16 spaces with, making other ones mean nothing to you
MadNomad

Postby vatas » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:48 pm

Yes, separate curio from Suckling's Maws specifically.

Optimally it would have a name that references that it's from young animal killed before it could mature.

My motivation to post this topic was hoping to get ability to make some crap curios for alts from lowQ maws that I would have to toss away otherwise.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Return to Critique & Ideas