Progressive content system on new world

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Progressive content system on new world

Postby terechgracz » Sun May 01, 2022 10:31 pm

Nightdawg wrote:what's the point of stats then?

To unlock new content with time obviously.
terechgracz

Postby WowGain » Mon May 02, 2022 12:06 am

terechgracz wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:what's the point of stats then?

To unlock new content with time obviously.

what rock do isopods like you come from with these kinds of thoughts and ideas good lord
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby VDZ » Mon May 02, 2022 12:32 am

Nightdawg wrote:
VDZ wrote:snip

feels like I'm talking to a wall lmao, sorry I bothered you

What you're saying is akin to claiming running someone over with a car is no different from bumping into someone when walking, because both are unexpected and likely unintentional collisions that could cause harm. Technically you are correct, but the scale is so absurdly different that you aren't in practice. You can't fuck up curios so badly that killing yourself is the optimal choice for further character progression, whereas for food that's not only possible but pretty much guaranteed to happen unless you know exactly what you're doing.

jock wrote:I agree but this wouldn't solve the problem in a good way. Much better ways to do it.

Suggest some?

Sevenless wrote:
iamahh wrote:
ZoddAlmighty wrote:Have you tried changing mine levels? And maybe prospecting ? You have 9 mine levels, I'm honestly doubthfull you explored that much on all 9 levels.

only up to level 5(need 100 Black Ore for level 6), didn't prospect much because is very limited and need to tunnel anyway

Ores are regionaly clumped like biomes, finding no BO but lots of G/S makes sense if you're stuck in that region. "digging half your continent" makes it sound like one of the smaller continents, and for sure the ore regions can be pretty massive. I'd say they can be as large as biome clumps, and those things are pretty massive.

You can absolutely get dicked over by not having a BO region near you. Perhaps an argument that BO should appear in all ore regions at least a bit.

(Not sure how regions are maintained between ore levels, but this world we got caught in the same thing as you and had to buy BO to get through L6 iirc)

It must also be noted here that the ore depth indications on the wiki are all wrong ever since the number of cave levels was increased to 10, so it could be that you were looking on the wrong cave levels. I'm not sure where Black Ore starts nowadays.
VDZ

Postby Nightdawg » Mon May 02, 2022 12:58 am

VDZ wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:
VDZ wrote:snip

feels like I'm talking to a wall lmao, sorry I bothered you

What you're saying is akin to claiming running someone over with a car is no different from bumping into someone when walking, because both are unexpected and likely unintentional collisions that could cause harm. Technically you are correct, but the scale is so absurdly different that you aren't in practice. You can't fuck up curios so badly that killing yourself is the optimal choice for further character progression, whereas for food that's not only possible but pretty much guaranteed to happen unless you know exactly what you're doing.

A wall.

You can quest for 1 day and lower your hunger by like 400% back down to 300% efficiency btw.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby terechgracz » Mon May 02, 2022 1:16 am

Yea you say so, but you have to realize that you're the outlier in this system. No sane person would quest for a day.
terechgracz

Postby Sevenless » Mon May 02, 2022 3:05 am

Also needs about a week's worth of 2-3 hrs/day questing to level up the quest givers and 100+ CHA to really work well.

I think it's the set up beforehand that deters most people from really using questing for hunger. You can't see how good it gets without a lot of time sink.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby mulamishne » Mon May 02, 2022 7:26 am

Nightdawg wrote:
VDZ wrote:What you're saying is akin to claiming running someone over with a car is no different from bumping into someone when walking, because both are unexpected and likely unintentional collisions that could cause harm. Technically you are correct, but the scale is so absurdly different that you aren't in practice. You can't fuck up curios so badly that killing yourself is the optimal choice for further character progression, whereas for food that's not only possible but pretty much guaranteed to happen unless you know exactly what you're doing.

A wall.

You can quest for 1 day and lower your hunger by like 400% back down to 300% efficiency btw.

And then you're still behind the guy who was originally efficiently eating at 300%, because he's doing quests to stay in 300%.

You're also spending time that you could be spending on something else to fix an incredibly punishing mistake.
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby Nightdawg » Mon May 02, 2022 8:27 am

mulamishne wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:
VDZ wrote:What you're saying is akin to claiming running someone over with a car is no different from bumping into someone when walking, because both are unexpected and likely unintentional collisions that could cause harm. Technically you are correct, but the scale is so absurdly different that you aren't in practice. You can't fuck up curios so badly that killing yourself is the optimal choice for further character progression, whereas for food that's not only possible but pretty much guaranteed to happen unless you know exactly what you're doing.

A wall.

And then you're still behind the guy who was originally efficiently eating at 300%, because he's doing quests to stay in 300%.

You're also spending time that you could be spending on something else to fix an incredibly punishing mistake.

Unlike wasting time studying crap and being behind with LP, which is clearly different.
Or unlike killing yourself which would somehow put you forward rather than punish you even more :yoj:
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby jock » Mon May 02, 2022 11:02 am

VDZ wrote:
jock wrote:I agree but this wouldn't solve the problem in a good way. Much better ways to do it.

Suggest some?

Some core systems are very broken and cause the early rush of tech and distort the value of progression. I won't provide my methods to solve the issues as I intend to use them in my own game, similar to haven and hearth(but am open to talks with Jorb and Loftar).

I will highlight the flaws and hope it points to the solutions.

-Credos - Do not affect progression or limit character growth, lack real resources and cost. Lack identity for players following a credo as they are stepping stones not styles of play.
-Questing - lacks profound world/province effects if met/unmet. Effects hunger.
-Quality distribution - Quality of resources once the best is found early no changes, quality is too high from world start.
-Dungeons - Early rewards are too powerful, don't incentive any interactions between groups of players, have no long term purpose and possible rewards for hermit/solo players fall off by the time they can achieve them. No scalability.
-Realm - No need for multi towns and no province limit to encourage a vassal/feudal system. No war system. Realms give buffs to enemies, get Authority from everyone. Realm buffs are poorly implemented and lack identity/ player input.
-Villages - Lack ability to provide good methods for collaboration between strangers and cannot progress beyond the small to flourishing cities.
-Morality of characters - No lasting detrimental effects to doing bad stuff or killing weaker players for no logical reason beyond selfish desire. No reward for being a good player, for not stealing, stabbing or hurting people for no reason.
-Food - ALl food gives far too many FEP, Some foods are near valueless (mostly due to quality distribution)
-XP - Is not actually taxed and used as a sinkable resource/exchangeable in a good way to add growing value and demand.
-World - is static and lacks change and real separation of continents.
-Combat - Static equipment setups, similar decks no meta shifting mechanics. Lack of PvE content growth.
-Farming - too fast, heavy workload and no player choice on crop FEP output.
-Regional resources - Regional resources are not secured by the province owner, most lack high demand uses outside of realms or power players and are poorly utilised considering their intended value.
- Hunger - 300% is too high plus no benefit to being full.

These systems are what breaks the game and cause extensive rushing of tech and progression, I do have a solution to each of these and they are modularly designed to solve the game's longevity problem and provide more players different ways to play.
A big part of these is to change how players interact with each other by creating value in having lesser players within your sphere of protection, trade or influence beyond just labour. The game currently is very top-heavy, front-loaded and lacks balance in progression. I know this is unclear but these are the problems that need to be solved, hard gating some things won't change the system while these issues are still here.

The largest problem is the lack of Diversifiers to shift meta's and progression between players, for all the width that haven has in the game economy design. It does not use it well and often falls into a very linear progression.
Last edited by jock on Mon May 02, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jock

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon May 02, 2022 12:14 pm

lol are you trolling?
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas