Progressive content system on new world

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Progressive content system on new world

Postby terechgracz » Sun May 01, 2022 1:38 pm

ZoddAlmighty wrote:That is a really bad idea.

Really it is? I thought its still better idea than thinking curio is as broken as feps.
terechgracz

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Sun May 01, 2022 1:45 pm

terechgracz wrote:Really it is? I thought its still better idea than thinking curio is as broken as feps.

Putting more effort into picking and grinding the right curio , means you straight up have an advantage over a guy that just does whatever. This is a competitive game, and you are suggesting to take away a level of competitiveness from it.
The same could be said if the food system weren't so random and bullshit.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Sun May 01, 2022 1:48 pm

iamahh wrote:W13's big Iron Ore Gate is one hell of a gate... I tunneled "half" my continent, very few Iron Ore... Black Ore is harder to find than Gold & Silver... I found zero Black Ore, but got a decent amount of G&S... meteor, whales, trolls, mammoths, I won't even dream of

Have you tried changing mine levels? And maybe prospecting ? You have 9 mine levels, I'm honestly doubthfull you explored that much on all 9 levels.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Nightdawg » Sun May 01, 2022 2:53 pm

VDZ wrote:snip

feels like I'm talking to a wall lmao, sorry I bothered you

terechgracz wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:In both cases you waste time, that is the trap.

Lets remove curios and feps and make passive LP and attribute gain for everyone.

You'd still be at a disadvantage if you didn't start playing on day one and didn't make 5000 alts that would passively gain stuff from the beginning
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby terechgracz » Sun May 01, 2022 5:54 pm

Nightdawg wrote:You'd still be at a disadvantage if you didn't start playing on day one and didn't make 5000 alts that would passively gain stuff from the beginning

I said passive gain for everyone, even for people who didn't even created account yet.
terechgracz

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Sun May 01, 2022 6:06 pm

terechgracz wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:You'd still be at a disadvantage if you didn't start playing on day one and didn't make 5000 alts that would passively gain stuff from the beginning

I said passive gain for everyone, even for people who didn't even created account yet.

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Nightdawg » Sun May 01, 2022 6:33 pm

terechgracz wrote:

so if I die and I spawn a new character I'm back to 100%?

what's the point of stats then?
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby jock » Sun May 01, 2022 6:41 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:EX content locked until:
day 3 = minehole lv2
day 7 = minehole lv3, snekkjas, steel
day 14 = minehole lv4, knarrs
day 21 = minehole lv5
day 28 = minehole lv6, trolls, bone clay
day 35 = minehole lv7, cave conch
day 42 = minehole lv8, orcas
day 49 = minehole lv9, realms, whales
(semi-random times as an example, whales/orcs/minehole levels being the important ones)

The quality/industry grind for haven is very front-loaded. If you know what you're doing you skip 99% of the content, but it's still so much work that it encourages /a lot/ of people to play together or make alliances just for industry purposes.

Spreading the content out similar to example above would make it more reasonable to play at a competitive level without turbo autism rushing certain things - which would make the early game more enjoyable, make more people competitive in industry, and provide less benefits to being in a big zerg.

https://www.wowhead.com/guides/wow-clas ... ent-phases
https://elysium-project.org/timeline

Classic WOW is kinda like haven in that it was originally intended to be something you play forever, but ended up being basically seasonal for 80% of the player-base. Almost every(literally every?) successful private server has progressive content where more end game stuff is locked for a good while.

I've personally played through vanilla wow ~5 times, and it's a lot more fun to do content in a somewhat intended order as opposed to ignoring MC to do Naxx trash in greens. The equivalent to which in haven is spending 90% of your early game killing whales with a Q13 spear and collecting wax for mineholes while force feeding one guy so he can mine level 9 with a Q100 pickaxe <2 weeks after server up.

I agree but this wouldn't solve the problem in a good way. Much better ways to do it.
jock

Postby iamahh » Sun May 01, 2022 7:19 pm

ZoddAlmighty wrote:
iamahh wrote:W13's big Iron Ore Gate is one hell of a gate... I tunneled "half" my continent, very few Iron Ore... Black Ore is harder to find than Gold & Silver... I found zero Black Ore, but got a decent amount of G&S... meteor, whales, trolls, mammoths, I won't even dream of

Have you tried changing mine levels? And maybe prospecting ? You have 9 mine levels, I'm honestly doubthfull you explored that much on all 9 levels.

only up to level 5(need 100 Black Ore for level 6), didn't prospect much because is very limited and need to tunnel anyway
iamahh

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 01, 2022 9:36 pm

iamahh wrote:
ZoddAlmighty wrote:

only up to level 5(need 100 Black Ore for level 6), didn't prospect much because is very limited and need to tunnel anyway

Ores are regionaly clumped like biomes, finding no BO but lots of G/S makes sense if you're stuck in that region. "digging half your continent" makes it sound like one of the smaller continents, and for sure the ore regions can be pretty massive. I'd say they can be as large as biome clumps, and those things are pretty massive.

You can absolutely get dicked over by not having a BO region near you. Perhaps an argument that BO should appear in all ore regions at least a bit.

(Not sure how regions are maintained between ore levels, but this world we got caught in the same thing as you and had to buy BO to get through L6 iirc)
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas