Progressive content system on new world

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Progressive content system on new world

Postby terechgracz » Mon May 02, 2022 12:32 pm

Do you want to sell me your solutions for tokens?
terechgracz

Postby jock » Mon May 02, 2022 12:45 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:lol are you trolling?

Not at all but if an example to go alongside this would help to simplify it for you here is one.

jock wrote:-Quality distribution - Quality of resources once the best is found early no changes, quality is too high from world start.

If conch was limited to 60ql at world start and that QL could be increased through a method players(with the correct balance and application). The conch is no longer an issue but a resource for players to improve, it no longer instantly is a botting requirement. This approach could be applied to all creatures and reduce the impact they have on the world pacing and add in benefits to focus on amplifying the animals closer to you through these methods.

No need for a hard gate and removal of content if the content is balanced to the stage of the game.
jock

Postby jock » Mon May 02, 2022 12:47 pm

terechgracz wrote:Do you want to sell me your solutions for tokens?

If they game where to go open-source (as jorb stated, if they reach a point to leave development) and if my game doesn't progress in development, then i could add them to the game myself :D
jock

Postby telum12 » Mon May 02, 2022 5:13 pm

This thread is about specific issues and solutions to them. No one cares you're developing your own game Jock, or what you intend to do with it. Go talk about it somewhere else.

It would definitely be good for longevity of each world if some mechanisms were in place to artificially limit growth. There's a reason people still grind osrs: I see number go up, I happy. Extending that phase is good, especially if mechanics such as www were removed. Similarly, freeing up time to do other stuff instead of intensely grinding in the short term is good.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby VDZ » Mon May 02, 2022 5:51 pm

telum12 wrote:This thread is about specific issues and solutions to them. No one cares you're developing your own game Jock, or what you intend to do with it. Go talk about it somewhere else.

While true, I do feel his list of perceived issues was a good contribution to the thread.

jock wrote:

Not at all but if an example to go alongside this would help to simplify it for you here is one.

jock wrote:-Quality distribution - Quality of resources once the best is found early no changes, quality is too high from world start.

If conch was limited to 60ql at world start and that QL could be increased through a method players(with the correct balance and application). The conch is no longer an issue but a resource for players to improve, it no longer instantly is a botting requirement. This approach could be applied to all creatures and reduce the impact they have on the world pacing and add in benefits to focus on amplifying the animals closer to you through these methods.

No need for a hard gate and removal of content if the content is balanced to the stage of the game.

So essentially what you are suggesting is that instead of having hard timegates, the game should have soft timegates where rushing things remains theoretically possible but is simply not worth it until a later point due to the rewards of advanced content not being fully unlocked yet? I know some games like Civilization invisibly track 'world progression', with some factors (particularly researched techs per civ) affecting some elements (e.g. Barbarians arm themselves with whatever weapons are conventional for the world era); perhaps similarly in Haven some measure of general player activity could be linked to changes in the world.

You'd have a better chance of convincing people the ideas are stupid if you point out what you take issue with and why. While there are some things in there I'm not exactly convinced by (e.g. XP is definitely taxed via curios (even if that could be taken further) and Hearth Magic uses it as a resource sink), some of the other points do look valid.
VDZ

Postby pawnchito » Mon May 02, 2022 6:00 pm

VDZ wrote:
So essentially what you are suggesting is that instead of having hard timegates, the game should have soft timegates where rushing things remains theoretically possible but is simply not worth it until a later point due to the rewards of advanced content not being fully unlocked yet? I know some games like Civilization invisibly track 'world progression', with some factors (particularly researched techs per civ) affecting some elements (e.g. Barbarians arm themselves with whatever weapons are conventional for the world era); perhaps similarly in Haven some measure of general player activity could be linked to changes in the world.

This sounds kind of neat but messy. Like depending on the population minehole level something is unlocked sounds way appealing to me since I normally hate time gating. Honestly though time gating is a big ole heavy axe that cuts away the dead tissue before it infects and kills the whole host.

It feels like I'm taking crazy pills seeing the one that has the most to benefit from not time gating is advocating for time gating.

The normal player is not going to have the sheer number of hours they can dedicate over a short period of time like some people can, this solution gives the most "catch up" mechanic the most fair way.
pawnchito

Postby terechgracz » Mon May 02, 2022 6:39 pm

Do you people have any argument against hard timegates apart of that you don't feel it is good? I think it's great, easy to implement, works synergistically with world resets.
terechgracz

Postby Clemins » Mon May 02, 2022 6:54 pm

Also, it's really not that big of a deal to time gate some very specific things like the before mentioned mineholes, whales, trolls, etc. Most "casual" players probably wouldn't even feel much of a difference, especially if it's tied to world time and not personal player played time.
Clemins

Postby jock » Mon May 02, 2022 7:01 pm

terechgracz wrote:Do you people have any argument against hard timegates apart of that you don't feel it is good? I think it's great, easy to implement, works synergistically with world resets.

removes chase, creates the "well i guess we wait till xyz day lets go play......xyz." "o look we missed the release of xyz, now we are behind, we can come back next world."

Lower mine levels are to easy to reach because of other mechanics. Hard locking them doesn't solve their mechanics. Just delays it.

Also, it makes a CLEAR if you're not ready for this at this time you are behind.

It also feels bad to remove content from players, the perception of Hard Time gates it bad. It's not progression it's waiting. Nothing you do has any effect on it.
jock

Postby telum12 » Mon May 02, 2022 8:15 pm

jock wrote:
terechgracz wrote:Do you people have any argument against hard timegates apart of that you don't feel it is good? I think it's great, easy to implement, works synergistically with world resets.

removes chase, creates the "well i guess we wait till xyz day lets go play......xyz." "o look we missed the release of xyz, now we are behind, we can come back next world."

Lower mine levels are to easy to reach because of other mechanics. Hard locking them doesn't solve their mechanics. Just delays it.

Also, it makes a CLEAR if you're not ready for this at this time you are behind.

It also feels bad to remove content from players, the perception of Hard Time gates it bad. It's not progression it's waiting. Nothing you do has any effect on it.

Current system:

Factions et al. at lvl 9, Jock at lvl 1.

Jock: "Better continue grinding!"

Proposed system:

Factions et al at lvl 2, jock at lvl 1 cus he missed the lvl 2 unlock.

Jock: "Man, I missed it! Better quit until next world.

---

You fundamentally don't understand what these suggestions are about, and no one cares.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas