Knarr/Snekkja quality should not affect their speed.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Knarr/Snekkja quality should not affect their speed.

Postby WowGain » Thu May 05, 2022 11:55 pm

I like the idea of q affecting their soak/healthpool and making the use of tarsticks more efficient with repairs at higher qualities, seems like it'd still be a fairly rewarding aspect of quality for ships still without giving inherent combat advantages that cause things to boil down to whoever has the bigger number on their ship.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby strpk0 » Fri May 06, 2022 1:22 am

+1, despite how much the devs claim to hate "binary outcomes" they've implemented and kept a feature like knarr and snekkja quality mattering for speed. In PvP, even a .01% speed advantage over someone else automatically means you get to roll them as you desire.

Please get rid of this already.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby ctopolon4 » Fri May 06, 2022 6:44 am

strpk0 wrote: even a .01% speed advantage over someone else automatically means you get to roll them as you desire.

same speed = death for escapers. like in normal chasing, better trajectory for chaser...
needs wind boosts on water then...
cant make good snekk = go by foot. cant make good stats & armor = stay at home. you always can zerg enemy with OPknock Cleaves
ctopolon4

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Fri May 06, 2022 10:01 am

ctopolon4 wrote:
strpk0 wrote: even a .01% speed advantage over someone else automatically means you get to roll them as you desire.

same speed = death for escapers. like in normal chasing, better trajectory for chaser...
needs wind boosts on water then...
cant make good snekk = go by foot. cant make good stats & armor = stay at home. you always can zerg enemy with OPknock Cleaves

lol if you're the same speed in the water they will take an extremely long time to fully catch you unless you're making a ton of mistakes. also if they do catch you what's stopping you from just going in land and taking advantage of speed buffs there?
ChildhoodObesity

Postby razfen » Fri May 06, 2022 11:25 am

Yes hard agree.

Snekkjas and knarrs should be just that: ocean faring fast ships, whaling boats or at most mobile outposts for thingwall captures, meteor fights and sieges.

In order to absolutely limit their use in pvp, the best course of action would be if they actually had a turning speed instead of naruto style teleporting left and right. This is the mechanic that just causes all of the issues about using them as drowners in river fights, and it's retarded. Implementing a turning speed would mean it would be more difficult to navigate these ships unless on open water.
MagicManICT wrote:Not really any purpose of this thread other than to get a simple answer that some of you special children don't seem to know how to give. Everyone's got to be a fukkin comedian....
razfen

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri May 06, 2022 2:22 pm

Driving a snekkja is fucked up enough already. They would still be an effective escape method if they had to slowly turn in rivers, and they would still be effective for chases in conjunction with rowboats if they had to turn in rivers.

I don't think there has been a better solution than OP. Rowboat speed everywhere except odeeper and maybe odeep.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Zyean » Fri May 06, 2022 2:55 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:

Driving a snekkja is fucked up enough already. They would still be an effective escape method if they had to slowly turn in rivers, and they would still be effective for chases in conjunction with rowboats if they had to turn in rivers.

I don't think there has been a better solution than OP. Rowboat speed everywhere except odeeper and maybe odeep.

Rowboats -> Snekk speed in rivers
Snekks -> rowboat speed in rivers

Think about it
Zyean

Postby Audiosmurf » Fri May 06, 2022 3:00 pm

Zyean wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:

Rowboats -> Snekk speed in rivers
Snekks -> rowboat speed in rivers

Think about it

tpbp (twenty-seventh post best post)
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:09 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:
GamingRAM wrote:I agree. Quality should not impact speed.

You're right, what should affect speed is what type of wood the ship is made from. :idea: :x

Silk sails would be very cool if I could rip up hermit's merchants robes for the silk.
DDDsDD999

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu May 12, 2022 4:36 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:
GamingRAM wrote:I agree. Quality should not impact speed.

You're right, what should affect speed is what type of wood the ship is made from. :idea: :x

Silk sails would be very cool if I could rip up hermit's merchants robes for the silk.

Yeah I was only half joking about material types affecting speed, I think speed changes don't have to be off limits but it shouldn't be something as basic as higher number = better boat.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas