Knarr/Snekkja quality should not affect their speed.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Knarr/Snekkja quality should not affect their speed.

Postby DonVelD » Tue May 03, 2022 1:51 pm

I agree! +1
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby delfer8 » Tue May 03, 2022 5:36 pm

+1 topic boi
Be nice, the woods are aware of you.

W3 and 4 Hermitage
W5 Emberwood and Kirribilli, PANDEMONIUM
W6 MIRROR LAKE
W7 Tkearns village
W10 F&I
W12 BROLAND, Weasel's Blue Boar Inn, Grimmhold retirement
W13 Monke Spanish plot
W14 Kakariko village Druid
W15 Into the deep woods

Where are you Weasel!?!?
delfer8

Postby fairystyle » Tue May 03, 2022 7:36 pm

:?
Zentetsuken wrote:True enough, but no small groups are doing whales right now anyways.

Outdated info, every hunter who affords to have a knarr does whales :shrug:
fairystyle

Postby delfer8 » Wed May 04, 2022 10:59 am

Yeah, with the knowedge and time any hermit can do whales.

W3 and 4 Hermitage
W6 MIRROR LAKE
W7 Tkearns village
W10 F&I
W13 Monke Spanish plot
W15 Into the deep woods

Where are you Weasel!?!?
delfer8

Postby vatas » Wed May 04, 2022 11:56 am

One thing quality could affect would be the HP pool. If you keep single "Tarsticks" always repairing 20% of total HP, you also indirectly reduce the Tar consumption by improving ship quality.

Other, much more development time intensive changes to possibly make ships less PvP cancer would be:
*Give them actual turning speed instead of instantly rotating.
*Make them accelerate relatively slowly before reaching the speed they currently have.

This could result in a scenario where you travel along the river with a rowboat come across Snekkja. You could simply maneuver around the Snekkja and keep the same course while Snekkja is stuck having to perform 180 degree turn if they want to chase you.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby delfer8 » Wed May 04, 2022 12:49 pm

vatas wrote:One thing quality could affect would be the HP pool. If you keep single "Tarsticks" always repairing 20% of total HP, you also indirectly reduce the Tar consumption by improving ship quality.

Other, much more development time intensive changes to possibly make ships less PvP cancer would be:
*Give them actual turning speed instead of instantly rotating.
*Make them accelerate relatively slowly before reaching the speed they currently have.

This could result in a scenario where you travel along the river with a rowboat come across Snekkja. You could simply maneuver around the Snekkja and keep the same course while Snekkja is stuck having to perform 180 degree turn if they want to chase you.

So with that you mean the ship would last longer the more quality the boat itself have wich help hearthling to cross the ocean when reached some high values right? seems like a good idea. Also in my opinion there must be some kind of way to make the chase between ships to be more balanced, not depending on the quality but on a mechanic to follow the winds, something Valheim like to rotate the sails and catch the sea winds, the better you do it, the best speed you get. Also the quality of the sail somehow affecting on the quanitity of wind you can take meaning in slightly boosts or positive variations on that wind catchs thowards the speed of the ship. The rotation you mention seems a good thing plus my idea. All this factors will make coracles, dogouts and little boats slower but easier to handle and rotate. So the bigger ships like snekkjas and knarrs slower to rotate but faster in speed. All this giving more mechanic chances for chasers and chased ones and oportunities to survive or escape/kill or chase, all depending more on player skill than quality itself.

Did you guys see Subbla bot ship? with this idea that would be still possible but the way to handle little boats may help that boat users to rotate direction and avoid being hit or touched by the big ship coz the bigger ship would need to slowly rotate and dock wherever he can to chase that boat user iwch was slower but had a chance to go to the ground and scape, avaoiding the nonsense of a huge ship literally "flying" like a rocket with infinite handling around a boat user or a swiming guy who finish drowning to death.

This also leads me to the way this mechanics would lead into other balanced ways to fight with ships and chase people. Like the way big ships need to dock or even take out boats from inside to handle better and chase in some circumstances, and the way this mechanics will make sense of ranged weapons for reaching escaping little boats or even fighting another big ship with similar speed in open sea.

It would be both a balanced way for everyone and a fun mechanic too.

W3 and 4 Hermitage
W6 MIRROR LAKE
W7 Tkearns village
W10 F&I
W13 Monke Spanish plot
W15 Into the deep woods

Where are you Weasel!?!?
delfer8

Postby GamingRAM » Wed May 04, 2022 9:24 pm

I agree. Quality should not impact speed.
World 12: Quit at some point.
World 11: Community Fair Worker
World 10: Co-Founder of the Northern Kingdom, Resident of Emerald City, Founder and Mayor of the Hole of Glory, RamZ's Art Emporium at CF, Member of the CFL Rams.
World 9: Founder of SnoopVille, Resident of Emerald City
World 7: Hermit and Neighbor to a dead Korean
GamingRAM

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed May 04, 2022 9:52 pm

GamingRAM wrote:I agree. Quality should not impact speed.

You're right, what should affect speed is what type of wood the ship is made from. :idea: :x
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby dagrimreefah » Thu May 05, 2022 3:43 pm

Big agree. Snekka should be faster than rowboat, but all snekkas should be the same speed. Also they should go as fast as a q200 snekka does now.
dagrimreefah

Postby tegoplplpl » Thu May 05, 2022 6:00 pm

+1
I hate re-building sneks so they would be "top speed".
tegoplplpl

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas