Each year wipe - good or bad?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Each year wipe - good or bad?

Postby Shri » Sun May 08, 2022 11:28 am

To be blunt.. I think it should be no less then 2 years.

As I know .. its mods implementing thing and other stuffs. I understand.

But it still seems kinda short time for casual players. It can be even counterproductive effect in long term when game go out big time. Not all players can play hectically each day. And not all players can start on first day when new world came up.... But, anyway..

My opinion (you state yours, of course):

To make top quality in everything in each productive way and .. for example .. digging to lvl9 mine .. having huge village and marketing... roads and shit'z .. to have whole map discovered.. and so on, and on.. 1 year is just to little time for older ppl (in age) like me.

I mean .. I wanna enjoy fruits of my efforts/labor. And have some time fighting other villages for area dominance when I'm fully ready. Finding/helping new players.. and so on..

This 'short' worlds/resets, I did evade in most of the games, tbh... just, coze, I don't like the idea of loosing all my efforts.. and basically.. my precious life time.
(And this game don't even have some hall of fame or some money/gift rewards for the 'winners', compared to resetting worlds in other games)

Also, many open world games don't have resets or wipes, and they function just fine... new players come.. they wipe older/inactive ppl..
This 'race', do not 'hold the water' .. it just hold some egocentric players who always wanna be the best in each new wipe...
But, by my opinion.. this game is TO DEEP/sophisticated, to be wiped after, just, 1 year, for 'normal' ppl who can play like 2-4 hours per day, cose, they have family and resposabilitys!
(What? Its like .. Merry Christmas...soon after.. wipe.. I would be like: fuc. that shit after 2 wipes, man. I dont live 1000 years. I wanna see end game pleasures without spending 10h playing each day)

When I plunder inactive villages now... a lot of them are barely, at 50% of maximum development, and I 'blame' wipes for that.

Such time (non spoken, but obvious..) limit, basically force the ppl who did not evolve (for some rl reasons) quick enuff, in first 6 month's, to go do something else, till the new world come.

Conclusion:
Game is good. Reallllly good. Its sad to see players leaving and abandoning bases and villages, like in the half of the (do time) year/reset.
And also! Its repelling for new player's.
Even, each 5 years restart would repeal an huge % of new players. What to say, about 1 year.
In longer term for profit for this company. For a sake/future of the game. It must be considered.

That's my opinion.
What do you think?

Best regards to all older players, community in general and of course, developers.
As long as it is constructive. I care.
Shri

Re: Each year wipe - good or bad?

Postby MightySheep » Sun May 08, 2022 12:40 pm

money wise its objectively better to do 1 year than 2
MightySheep

Postby WowGain » Sun May 08, 2022 3:02 pm

I don't stop playing after 8-9 months because I fear a wipe, I stop playing because the game gets mind-numbingly boring at that point in the world.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Shri » Sun May 08, 2022 3:20 pm

MightySheep wrote:money wise its objectively better to do 1 year than 2

I won't interupt other opinions.. but yours just made me...

Money wise by existing model and statistics, or in general?
Because, if you set presistant world .. like most of games.. without, an single reset.. 1 to 2 years is still kinda brutish to most of 'use to' gamers.. don't you think so?
For a sake of this game.. cut the fu. out that 'run' between 50 ppl. Or I so wrong?
Last edited by Shri on Sun May 08, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shri

Postby Detharon » Sun May 08, 2022 3:30 pm

Shri wrote:When I plunder inactive villages now... a lot of them are barely, at 50% of maximum development, and I 'blame' wipes for that.

Such time (non spoken, but obvious..) limit, basically force the ppl who did not evolve (for some rl reasons) quick enuff, in first 6 month's, to go do something else, till the new world come.

I'd argue with a conclusion that people quit because they're falling behind. From my experience both as a semi-hermit and a member of a major faction, most people quit simply out of boredom, no matter how developed they are. After a certain point in time there's nothing to do except to grind your character stats and the quality. Yes, for me it's the tedious grind is killing the playerbase, as well as lack of the end-game content.

I'd also argue that one year is not enough to develop your village if you don't play all the day long. The key is to play with a competent group and to avoid common noob traps, like cooking some fancy foods that require a lot of effort but are otherwise bad stat-wise. Top players aren't just playing a lot; they also know how to spend they playtime efficiently.

Ultimately its the reset that brings the novelty into the game. For a lot of players (me included), fresh world is much more enjoyable to play than the old one, in which all the wars are settled and there's abundance of everything on the market.
Detharon

Postby VDZ » Sun May 08, 2022 3:55 pm

Shri wrote:That's my opinion.
What do you think?

Frankly, what I think is that we should disregard any opinion about appropriate cycle length from anyone who has not been around for more than one cycle. How can you claim the world not being reset for more than a year benefits you when you haven't even played for a year? I find it highly unlikely you'll continue actively playing on the same world for a year straight, let alone two years. You'll understand why people want wipes once you've burned through the early-game content, which is likely to happen next world way before that world ends.
VDZ

Postby Shri » Sun May 08, 2022 4:27 pm

VDZ wrote:
Shri wrote:That's my opinion.
What do you think?

Frankly, what I think is that we should disregard any opinion about appropriate cycle length from anyone who has not been around for more than one cycle. How can you claim the world not being reset for more than a year benefits you when you haven't even played for a year? I find it highly unlikely you'll continue actively playing on the same world for a year straight, let alone two years. You'll understand why people want wipes once you've burned through the early-game content, which is likely to happen next world way before that world ends.

Plz, leave that behind... That I did not play game enough. Its my player exp. after 2 or less months.. who the f cares..
I only got voice if I did play for years?? That's death to community.

So you had every aspect of the game to the full? I mean ... every....in that 1 year?? (kinda sound immposable to me.. but ok.. seems you are advance player anyway)
And what do you think about players who join in the half of that 1 year? Is it fair to them? Just having like 6 months and start again? How is that good for business?

And can you even imagine amount of complaining's of 10000 active players in the future about such reset??

ps: I mean.. i dont f. care man... It can be like as it is. I'm just truying to give my 5 cents of opinion. All respect to yours. Mayby you right. That's all discusion is about. Thx for joining in.
Last edited by Shri on Sun May 08, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Shri

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 08, 2022 4:42 pm

We've done preplanned wipes before. It slaughters population. 90-160? Try like 10-20. With a wipe 3 months out.

Haven needs the illusion of eternity or its mechanics kinda fall apart.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Shri » Sun May 08, 2022 4:55 pm

Sevenless wrote:We've done preplanned wipes before. It slaughters population. 90-160? Try like 10-20. With a wipe 3 months out.

Mechanics of the game are just fine even with 2y death row sentence. By my opinion.
Atleast i can go on 3 month vacation not thinking about fu game. But...

I respect you opinion tho. Thx m8.
Shri

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 08, 2022 5:13 pm

Shri wrote:
Sevenless wrote:We've done preplanned wipes before. It slaughters population. 90-160? Try like 10-20. With a wipe 3 months out.

Mechanics of the game are just fine even with 2y death row sentence. By my opinion.
Atleast i can go on 3 month vacation not thinking about fu game. But...

I respect you opinion tho. Thx m8.

Unfortunately most players don't seem to share your view, which is why world pop craters after 3-4 months.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas