Each year wipe - good or bad?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Each year wipe - good or bad?

Postby MadNomad » Fri May 20, 2022 11:41 am

Halbertz wrote:"If someone has a lot of money, it does not mean that he stole it. I can work hard and also earn a lot of money."

Of course, but it also depends on how we define "a lot", some people might manage to make "a lot" of money with honest work, but it usually takes many years to do so, whole lifetime, not to mention massive amount of effort, however there is a point that can't be crossed with honest, fair work and some other means have to be used, there is some limit as to how much you can make with honest work

But instead of making a detailed analysis of this topic I would instead recommend you to take your time to practise reading with understanding, as it is not your first time showing that you have difficulties with it, because I haven't mentioned anything about stealing money in real life anywhere in this thread, and what was said was more of a statement on some of the valid strategies used by some pro players in this game called "Haven and Hearth" to achieve some sort of ingame success, they aren't all of them, but they are some of them

The reason why I mentioned those strategies was because it was in relation with world resets and I mentioned those examples to express that world resets should only be applied when necessary for one reason or another and not in order to adjust to some unusual, extreme style of gameplay that is not ever going to be the true scenario for an average player, for most of playerbase - which one of us can just pop a Q400 B12 into existence without any effort to achieve it? Noone, it has to be gained with a lot of ingame means of production, and it is not a task for a short period of time. How dare we defend the months of hard work, right? Why don't we just hand away something that took a lot of effort to achieve and why would we ever want to avoid achieving the exact same thing over and over again?

My suggestion of going outside and seeing some sun was only trying to be helpful, but if people addicted to world resets really need them, then I would rather suggest having two worlds in the game in order to suit two gameplay styles and ideals, because if one extreme, brutal and punishing ideal is so important, why can't another, more comfortable and worthy of time one also be important? What is so unusual about the wish not to waste someone's months worth of work? There surely must be some number of people that wont even touch the game knowing that their progress will be wiped quite soon. Let everyone pick something they like, let everyone enjoy the game in the way they want.

Despite you missing the point this time, I believe you can somehow figure out the difference, as it is not a thing difficult to understand

Halbertz wrote:
MadNomad wrote: you don't need a badge to talk

To discuss something, you need an understanding of the topic of discussion. Agree or not?

This is true, however the OP didn't show lack of understanding on the matter, and instead described a view from his perspective about the idea of wipes every year, the forum is for talking, and I'm not surprised that the rules of it do not state otherwise, because what would a forum be if it was not allowed to make topics discussing the matters of gameplay and related to the game it is about?
MadNomad

Postby WowGain » Fri May 20, 2022 12:01 pm

MadNomad wrote:My suggestion of going outside and seeing some sun was only trying to be helpful

heres my 100% serious, completely helpful idea for you
stop being stupid all the time
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Halbertz » Fri May 20, 2022 12:39 pm

MadNomad wrote:le necro response

Okay, back to simple matters: Being offended by everyone will not make you a happy person.
however the OP didn't show lack of understanding on the matter

Literally the day before, he made a topic about the combat should be removed from the game, since he thinks that it is shit. After a couple of tips, he thanked and said that he simply did not bother to spend enough time to figure it out.
Then he made a topic about wipes, after playing for only a few days. Responses were a bit obvious, aren't they?
Halbertz

Postby DonVelD » Fri May 20, 2022 5:14 pm

every madnomad post in a nutshell:

-I would instead recommend you to take your time to practise reading with understanding
-Despite you missing the point this time, I believe you can somehow figure out the difference, as it is not a thing difficult to understand
-My suggestion of going outside and seeing some sun was only trying to be helpful, but people addicted to world resets really need them
-Im going to take a break from the forums and im suggesting everyone to do so as well

btw it really shows who is addicted seeing that you come back right away haha
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby lordgrunt » Sat May 21, 2022 12:33 am

i mean, honestly, is there a point where ppl will stopp begging for new world? how about you pray for world peace instead, same results
lordgrunt

Postby VDZ » Sat May 21, 2022 12:46 am

lordgrunt wrote:i mean, honestly, is there a point where ppl will stopp begging for new world? how about you pray for world peace instead, same results

We've had twelve new worlds so far. Sadly our world peace count is lagging behind somewhat.
VDZ

Postby dagrimreefah » Sun May 22, 2022 1:31 am

Bad.

But the average typical midwit with high time preference will think it's good because they're addicted to dopamine.
dagrimreefah

Postby abt79 » Sun May 22, 2022 3:44 am

Shri wrote:
I did promice not to talk on forum till I gain more play hours, since many ppl did nag about it, but I gess reply dont count ;)

Tbh, after pillaging 6-7 inactive villages or big claims.. having a mine.. base, not close to water.. making steel.. having gear.. exetra..
I can imagine why ppl are burn after 1 y of gp...
I kinda found my self just left with option of fight or rising stats with food, alcemy and better gear/glidings/lp. So I can feel it, even in my short time play (super fast by looting inactives).

But..

I just don't feel it, like.. world did develop to the fullest, you know..
Of course.. I did not explore full map, tho... But what I did see so far.. there is not many highly developed villages.
Did not see any major 'frendly citys' connected with pavened roads.. or some 'uber q.' mountain forts.. so far.

Players who wait new world and play from day 1, no doubt, got nice base/stats/gear/q. and so on.
But mostly, after few raids/kills, they just got bored again .
Not even truy to make seperate village for newcomers with all full q. workstations/beautefull buildings/superb design of village/trading/lvl9 mine/wars with multiple ppl/scumbags... and so on.

I mean.. AND I leave the option that I'm unexp. player. .. I wanna do all those things... I don't give a fu. who is stronger or more skilled then me. But.. more motivated and crazy in efforts and presistancy.
Maybe, I will... but, for sure!!! .. I wont... if I did miss world reset for like few months. That's the problem.

That's why I even did start this topic on first place. Just to discus such matters.. not to spoil old gamers habits.
So. What with ppl who joined after 5 or 6 month to late..?
Learne the game for next 8-10 months and when you are finaly up to high standards .. expect wipe of your efforts and do it again?

I mean... not all ppl are total fans of this game to suck such fact. Some got family and Rl. Most of em wont even pay for game in any way, since then need to wait for wipe.. why would? They see every game time expendable.. since they grow up.. and spend more time and efforts in RL events.
So.. since game is still alpha and not having any marketing.. is it good for developing/cash, that, they only depend on 50 ppl who likes and follow game?

Beside to all I did say so far.. I think existing player community got to high expectations.. I mean.. I did play Wow and Lol, eve online, archeage, black desert, final fanatasy, LOR, runscape, ultima OL, tibia, repopulation, entropia universe and all the fu. good, possible, open world mmo rpg games, out there. They all get tidius after some time... Its nothing fu. new in games... Stop crying about it.. (not you lol, just saying my feelings in general).
Build something extra.. Use engine and possibilities to the full..
Help new ppl... enjoy meeting and helping newcommers, make great hall for each of em. If you are bored.. and so uber.. Do some epic scale, changes on map.. be a king.. or something..
Just don't repeat all the fu. time egocentric power needs. Save that for RL.

Anyway.. My conclusion so far:

(I know its not realistic atm.) But 2 seperate worlds. One presistant. And one, with time specific reset, with perks for players who play it over and over.

One for practice and one kind of player community who like open wolds as they usualy are and are use to that.
Second one for competition and old uber farts (future, me), with hall of fame and specific small perks (permanent to both servers they start after second server world reset) :D

Congratulations, you've:

• proven everyone saying you were too new to know what you were talking about correct beyond a shadow of doubt (and, in fairness to you, have also admitted as much)
  • moved on to the same "wipe server and no wipe server running simultaneously" idea hundreds of players in your position have suggested over the past decade after realizing that an eternally wipeless world sucks. Devs have already voiced opinions on this idea Here (4 years ago), Here (~4 years ago as well), Here (suggested 5 and answered 4 years ago, where Jorb even states that the idea is 'suggested lots'), and Here (13 years ago, very close to the game's inception), to varying results. Mainly the response amounts to 'might be neat, but server capabilities aren't there yet' though splitting the already-small playerbase would likely mean one of the two servers would end up dead anyways. Considering the current state of the game, it would of course be the endless server that died for reasons you seem to now have realized.

• (note that I did not have these responses committed fully to memory or in some ready-to-send archive. It took me about 4 minutes to find all of this just by searching C&I)

It is common practice here (and, in fact, strongly recommended by The Rules) to search existing threads before posting your very unoriginal, ill-informed insights. Perhaps in the future you will see the value in doing so, or short of reaching that conclusion on your own, will take to heart criticism by experienced users instead of whining that they're trying to "silence" you.
abt79

Postby VDZ » Sun May 22, 2022 4:16 am

abt79 wrote:'[...] but server capabilities aren't there yet'

Unless the ability to travel between servers is a hard requirement (which would be far more complicated design-wise, unless you keep it one-directional), having two servers is as simple as just renting a new server and writing some client code (and doing some client UI design) to allow for choosing which server to connect to. As long as the two servers don't need to communicate with each other in any way, technically it's almost identical to the current situation with one server.
VDZ

Postby Clemins » Sun May 22, 2022 10:00 am

It seems to me some of you who want a permanent non-wipe server forget that stuff in haven decays after some time. The moment you take a break your year(s) worth of work is gone. And if you just restart after returning, what was the point of the permanent server?
Clemins

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas