Realm Expansion change

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Realm Expansion change

Postby Sevenless » Fri May 13, 2022 6:01 pm

Okocim wrote:
WowGain wrote:The mechanics of realms do nothing to encourage it either, it's 100% larp

Not a 100% true, leaving noobs alive boosts your authority gain, it's not much of a single village but stacks up over time.

Two problems: The issue with auth is that there's an amount that's "enough". Noobs who probably won't last more than a month or two don't really contribute to the long term amount, and really what you want are people you think will actually stick around. XP and LP stop being a concern for realms owners if they're playing right.

Second problem: This actually incentivizes you to kill people from other realms to hurt their auth, and not just their noobs. You can't defend your realm inhabitants from random murder, only from sieges really. And with whirlpools if you want to have a killing spree just need your convenient chain to land you somewhere else for some fun times.

The second issue I was well aware of this world. We got hit by roaving bands from Monke when their whirlpool lined up with our area. Lost a lot of hermits, which only encouraged them to come back for more kills.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Okocim » Fri May 13, 2022 6:58 pm

Sevenless wrote:Two problems: The issue with auth is that there's an amount that's "enough". Noobs who probably won't last more than a month or two don't really contribute to the long term amount, and really what you want are people you think will actually stick around. XP and LP stop being a concern for realms owners if they're playing right.

Since you can use realm's auth, there is no amount that is enough, the more the better. Realm auth is based on experience you just need active players, push them toward quests and you can get value very quickly.
Sevenless wrote:Second problem: This actually incentivizes you to kill people from other realms to hurt their auth, and not just their noobs. You can't defend your realm inhabitants from random murder, only from sieges really. And with whirlpools if you want to have a killing spree just need your convenient chain to land you somewhere else for some fun times.

This one I can agree with, but were realms meant to stop all the noob killing or killing within your own realm?
While you can't defend them you can help them after or at least give them advice.
The idea in my OP would actually make this more noticeable, since you could clearly see who supports your kingdom and who doesn't. It's either friend or foe.
Sevenless wrote:The second issue I was well aware of this world. We got hit by roaving bands from Monke when their whirlpool lined up with our area. Lost a lot of hermits, which only encouraged them to come back for more kills.

When it comes to whirlpools, it's a murder enabler regardless of the existence of realms. Whirlpools are ****, I'd love to see them removed or at least reworked, but it deserves a topic of it's own.
Okocim

Postby DonVelD » Fri May 13, 2022 7:36 pm

Okocim wrote:You say that you agree with @WowGain, but in the end proved my point :D
In the end our kingdom benefited from that in multiple ways.
I guess benefits are not immediately obvious or significant enough for others, so they don't care.

I mean I was specifically asked to not kill anyone, even if I didn't see any point in doing so and the game doesn't reward you too much for that. I guess we've made a friendly space for sprucecaps, but does that change THAT much in the aspect of XP?
Even so, I feel like the only thing you can use that for is a well which isn't worth it in the long run because you're likely to quit before getting a noticeable raise in quality and rawhides which got significantly cheaper now.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby WowGain » Sat May 14, 2022 1:19 pm

Okocim wrote:Since you can use realm's auth, there is no amount that is enough, the more the better. Realm auth is based on experience you just need active players, push them toward quests and you can get value very quickly.

This is like saying a conecow is still worth studying as much as an orca brain "because you can always use more LP"
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Okocim » Sat May 14, 2022 2:44 pm

WowGain wrote:
Okocim wrote:Since you can use realm's auth, there is no amount that is enough, the more the better. Realm auth is based on experience you just need active players, push them toward quests and you can get value very quickly.

This is like saying a conecow is still worth studying as much as an orca brain "because you can always use more LP"

This is just a bad comparison. When it comes to exp, unless someone is doing quests, top players are not generating that much more than casual players, I wouldn't be surprised at all if actively playing newb would generate more.
In that case isn't it like saying orca brain is worthless because I'm already studying cachalot blowhole?
Okocim

Postby bumfrog » Sat May 14, 2022 4:41 pm

Okocim wrote:When it comes to exp, unless someone is doing quests, top players are not generating that much more than casual players, I wouldn't be surprised at all if actively playing newb would generate more.

lole!

You really have no clue what you’re talking about, huh
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby Okocim » Sat May 14, 2022 5:17 pm

bumfrog wrote:You really have no clue what you’re talking about, huh

I'm talking from my experience, from tracking auth generation and population within my realm for few months.
From amount of experience collected by players within my village which shows that specialized characters generate way less experience.
Please enlighten me. What do I have no clue about?
Okocim

Postby WowGain » Sat May 14, 2022 7:52 pm

Okocim wrote:top players are not generating that much more than casual players, I wouldn't be surprised at all if actively playing newb would generate more.

You are not even close to a top player just because you slapped a realm cairn together, don't kid yourself here.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Okocim » Sat May 14, 2022 11:41 pm

WowGain wrote:You are not even close to a top player just because you slapped a realm cairn together, don't kid yourself here.

I never claimed to be one.
I have a pretty good idea on where I sit compared to top players.
What are the criteria to be considered top in your opinion though?
Okocim

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas