Realm Expansion change

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Realm Expansion change

Postby Okocim » Wed May 11, 2022 12:50 pm

Change to expanding realms with Thingwalls instead of Cairns was great, but in my opinion far from perfect.
Long time that flags needs to be protected from doesn't actually lead to pvp, barely anyone is willing to sit next to war flag for 3h to protect it, that is why in most cases it's place a flag and hope for the best.
Time windows in the middle of the night doesn't help with that at all. And being able to place up to 3 flags within time window makes it even worse, 9h instead of 3 of doing basically nothing and even if fight starts your chances of protecting the flag seem very thin.
There are also other issues with the realms, such as dummy realm without bonuses covering world, deriving ppl of bonuses.

So basically:
-Expanding the realm is tedious
-There is no realm pvp
-Most player have no impact at all on what realm they live in.

My suggestion is to create kingdom influence system.
After placing a coronation stone, kingdom influence in the area (thingwall) will start to be generated, and each village within that area will be able to chose a kingdom they wish to support by generating additional influence for that area.(Given kingdom needs to have some influence over an area for villages to be able to support it.)
Each week kingdom with highest influence over an area gains control of it. When kingdom gains control over an area, villages in it(that chose to support it) will start generating small amount of influence in the neighboring areas, allowing villages in those areas to start supporting the kingdom.
Amount of influence generated by a village would be based on number of flags and statues (with some diminishing returns), so bigger villages would have more significance.
Influence points are stored for 4 weeks, to make it impossible for sudden changes just because someone put a dummy villages within area, but limit it so old kingdoms wouldn't have stored enough influence over area to never be challenged.

It won't fix the pvp aspect, but I'm starting to think it's a lost cause anyways. ( I mean you might get a reason for a siege )
It'll hopefully encourage creating relations with other villages and maybe keeping noob villages alive.
It'll change tedious building of flags at specific times to diplomatic ways of expanding realm.
All players will be able to impact kingdoms.
Okocim

Re: Realm Expansion change

Postby DonVelD » Wed May 11, 2022 1:04 pm

+1 sounds interesting and not as cancer as the current system at least
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed May 11, 2022 3:45 pm

What if we cut out the tumor instead of wasting time modifying it into a slightly less egregious tumor. The problem with realms is the base concept, not the implementation (although the implementation is also bad).

Even if somebody has a fix for realms I'm pretty sure the PVPers want seasons/swords/vehicles fixed, the LARPers want free-form building/chairs, the grinders want quality progression to not end after <2 months, and everybody wants the client to not be an unworkable featureless mess.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Okocim » Wed May 11, 2022 4:08 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:What if we cut out the tumor instead of wasting time modifying it into a slightly less egregious tumor. The problem with realms is the base concept, not the implementation (although the implementation is also bad).

Even if somebody has a fix for realms I'm pretty sure the PVPers want seasons/swords/vehicles fixed, the LARPers want free-form building/chairs, the grinders want quality progression to not end after <2 months, and everybody wants the client to not be an unworkable featureless mess.

I can't agree with that.
I love the base concept of ppl from different villages uniting under a realm and working somewhat together.
While implementation is poor, I have enjoyed the system overall, even if I had to miss sleep while expanding it.
It made me start working together with ppl that otherwise I wouldn't know they exist.
It is also limiting the amount of noob killing, so there is at least one thing that went well.
Okocim

Postby WowGain » Thu May 12, 2022 12:14 am

Okocim wrote:It is also limiting the amount of noob killing, so there is at least one thing that went well.

Are we playing the same game
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Okocim » Thu May 12, 2022 7:49 am

WowGain wrote:
Okocim wrote:It is also limiting the amount of noob killing, so there is at least one thing that went well.

I guess.
In our kingdom (as long as it lasted) it definitively made a difference. We were in fact tracking and dealing with ppl that were harming our "noobs". I don't know if it made any impact in other kingdoms, you would have to ask rulers.
I have never said that it stopped killing completely, but I can say from experience that it absolutely limited it even if only in a single realm.
Okocim

Postby WowGain » Fri May 13, 2022 1:49 pm

Okocim wrote:
WowGain wrote:

I guess.
In our kingdom (as long as it lasted) it definitively made a difference. We were in fact tracking and dealing with ppl that were harming our "noobs". I don't know if it made any impact in other kingdoms, you would have to ask rulers.
I have never said that it stopped killing completely, but I can say from experience that it absolutely limited it even if only in a single realm.

You are literally the only realm owner I've ever spoken to that has done this lol
The mechanics of realms do nothing to encourage it either, it's 100% larp
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby DonVelD » Fri May 13, 2022 2:32 pm

Yeah I kinda have to agree with WowGain here, if I wasn't asked to not kill people on the realm I wouldn't hesitate on killing more lol
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Sevenless » Fri May 13, 2022 4:24 pm

Personal experience: factions who were gonna murder their immediate neighbour still do it, but now everyone has very clear targets they can aim at to annoy their competing factions.

Net murder rate when up due to roaving raiders. Defending people against raiders in a snekkja/knarr is extremely hard if they aren't camping a gate, from a logistical standpoint that is. They can teleport home with little effort if they really want to, or they're on the move while our tracking systems are pretty sluggish/difficult to deal with.

I'm not 100% certain the net murder rate has gone up, but it's still very much present if you're in certain areas of the world.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Okocim » Fri May 13, 2022 5:42 pm

DonVelD wrote:Yeah I kinda have to agree with WowGain here, if I wasn't asked to not kill people on the realm I wouldn't hesitate on killing more lol

You say that you agree with @WowGain, but in the end proved my point :D
In the end our kingdom benefited from that in multiple ways.
I guess benefits are not immediately obvious or significant enough for others, so they don't care.

WowGain wrote:The mechanics of realms do nothing to encourage it either, it's 100% larp

Not a 100% true, leaving noobs alive boosts your authority gain, it's not much of a single village but stacks up over time.
Okocim

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas