Personal claim vs vandalism case: bashing fresh bases

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Personal claim vs vandalism case: bashing fresh bases

Postby Okocim » Mon May 16, 2022 3:30 pm

vatas wrote:Where does it say that power level affects required siege machine dry time?

In the patch notes, also wiki.
There are so many things not explained in the game...
Okocim

Postby Sevenless » Mon May 16, 2022 3:45 pm

A reduction in drying time to 1 or maybe 2 weeks doesn't sound unreasonable for the mechanic to me at least.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Clemins » Mon May 16, 2022 3:46 pm

I'll admit 4 IRL weeks is a little too long to reach 100% power level, I think that could be changed to something more along the lines of 2 - 2½ weeks.

That being said, I don't think that this is really related to what happened to you since:
1). If you waited to announce your location, your chances of being found early would have been significantly lower.
2). If you're going to have a public base, make sure you or someone you know can defend it/you.
3).Learn how to fight, those were fresh alts, anyone with double base stats and a few combat moves could have obliterated them. (In fact, we thought this is what was going to happen.)
4). You were warned on discord that the ram was built, I think? Hours before the base was broken into.

Zachary09 wrote:It makes no sense that a completely non-hostile (or otherwise "normal") claim is penalized just because of an anti-griefing or anti-trolling mechanic.

It makes a lot of sense actually, in fact. Think of a situation where this isn't the case, and someone builds a vclaim/pclaim right next to your little base. Being the "normal players" you are, wouldn't you want the ability to destroy the claim before it's unbashable? Reverting this back would be an absolute chaos.
Last edited by Clemins on Mon May 16, 2022 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clemins

Postby Sevenless » Mon May 16, 2022 3:53 pm

Also worth noting: Distinguishing "hostile" vs "non-hostile" when designing mechanics is extremely difficult without running into bazillions of edge case abuses. You mess up and now you're protecting a griefer, huzzah.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby DonVelD » Mon May 16, 2022 4:06 pm

The time's fine personally. Just don't announce where you live when the world is a year old already and the people are bored. I agree though on the info about the power level, it should be more obvious. Anything else that is crucial for the gameplay should be, tbh.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby ErdTod » Wed May 18, 2022 6:34 am

Sevenless wrote:Also worth noting: Distinguishing "hostile" vs "non-hostile" when designing mechanics is extremely difficult without running into bazillions of edge case abuses. You mess up and now you're protecting a griefer, huzzah.

What if there's a chunk check for any claimed tiles, and if there are none inside the chunk where the claim is being built + none in 8 other surrounding chunks, we get "normal base drying times"
If there's a single tile already claimed within that radius - we get "griefing protected drying times" that are what it's now?
ErdTod

Postby Sevenless » Wed May 18, 2022 6:56 am

ErdTod wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Also worth noting: Distinguishing "hostile" vs "non-hostile" when designing mechanics is extremely difficult without running into bazillions of edge case abuses. You mess up and now you're protecting a griefer, huzzah.

What if there's a chunk check for any claimed tiles, and if there are none inside the chunk where the claim is being built + none in 8 other surrounding chunks, we get "normal base drying times"
If there's a single tile already claimed within that radius - we get "griefing protected drying times" that are what it's now?

Someone has built a claim ontop of your local Q300 moose node early world. Even though they will get bored probably within a month (and be just as happy living 1 grid over), you now have to full siege and destroy it to get the node back. Diplomatically talking to people who've settled a spot and put in 5-10 hours when you were offline basically never works. They will go to the bitter end more often than not.

This is a case where protecting the beginner (even if we ignore the possibility of griefers doing this intentionally) comes at the cost of harming a significant amount of other players. Early game dropping ontop of a swamp and Pclaiming it is brutally harmful to neighbours as well, and something beginners will for some inexplicable reason do. Even post midge patch.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby vatas » Wed May 18, 2022 12:22 pm

I have this slightly convoluted idea, what if Power Level would only have an effect when the claim is close to another claim with higher Power Level?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Zachary09 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:23 pm

vatas wrote:I have this slightly convoluted idea, what if Power Level would only have an effect when the claim is close to another claim with higher Power Level?

That's probably one of the better suggestions out there regarding this topic, I second this
Zachary09

Postby strpk0 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:13 pm

vatas wrote:I have this slightly convoluted idea, what if Power Level would only have an effect when the claim is close to another claim with higher Power Level?

Then it becomes meta to preemptively drop claims where you know your enemy wants to settle in order to lock them into a 1 month power level timer versus your instantly 100% power claim.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas