Water is unreasonably dangerous

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Water is unreasonably dangerous

Postby shubla » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:05 am

I can get KO'd by bats, boars, bears even, and not die. Instead a friendly popup asking me to tp back to hf.
But when I swim for 2 meters, instant death!

When you think about it, its pretty dumb!

The contrast is huge. Why should these things which seem very dangerous be so safe, but then a short skinny dip and you die?

Something should be done to this. Either swimming should be made safer or then animals etc. more dangerous.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Re: Water is unreasonably dangerous

Postby Mysia » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:26 am

i seem to be able to cross normal rivers no problem with low cons

that being said the swimming toggle icon doesn't seem to appear on default, and i can easily see myself accidently walking into a river with no stam while its on and drown

i thought it gave hhp damage as asphyxiation or something until u died, not instant, no?
Mysia

Postby VDZ » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:21 pm

Mysia wrote:i thought it gave hhp damage as asphyxiation or something until u died, not instant, no?

Correct. Misjudging your swim distance just results in a (rather big) annoying wound that heals quickly enough. Death requires a major error in judgment, going for a swim at low HHP, or an unexpected factor blocking your swim (griefers, server crash, etc).

I think swimming is in a good place right now. Convenient, doesn't kill you unless you fuck up badly, but still something you need to be careful about. If you fail to turn around in time to survive when noticing you're not going to make it, that's absolutely a skill issue.
VDZ

Postby shubla » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:26 pm

Maybe with full stamina etc. but if you run to have low stamina then start swimming you die very quickly.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby VDZ » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:26 pm

shubla wrote:Maybe with full stamina etc. but if you run to have low stamina then start swimming you die very quickly.

And if you try to hug a bear you also die very quickly. Try not being an idiot?
VDZ

Postby Lojka » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:27 am

was disscussions many years ago, my last idea was = you must be throwen at some random shore (and Heathfire broken) like you was in a shipreck in a movie
and get wound like from bear

not balanced at all
Lojka

Postby telum12 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:40 am

Is that why you've been killing your scouting bots in the water all over the world?
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby mulamishne » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:41 am

Water should be dangerous, animals should be dangerous, the game should be dangerous. This game is a HARDCORE life simulation. I encourage you to play a game that might be more your speed, such as stardew valley
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby MightySheep » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:06 am

over time they carebear'd all the other ways of perma dying so now water is the sole remaining death trap in the game, its kinda weird

get caught afk on a boat, try to swim away from attackers, try to swim across wide rivers, sail into deep water , all = perma death, meanwhile nothing else in the game is perma death at this point
MightySheep

Postby lordgrunt » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:11 am

maybe some kind of passing out mechanic could be introduced and your unconcious body would float down the river to shore up in random place. you'd have to endure longer or shorter "swim", depending where the current takes you.
lordgrunt

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas