The game is far too meta

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

The game is far too meta

Postby fedor77 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:46 am

Ever since i tried this game i wanted to hop in a world from the beginning to see how things are from start, i barely have any experience with the game and thought a fresh world would be interesting to play.

Well, it sorta was for the weekend, i spent my days in the woods, i didnt had a claim so i always lived under fear that someone would pass by and steal all my stuff. At the same time, i was trying to acquire experience to learn trespassing and theft to interact with the other players and commit petty crimes. But im far too inexperienced to know what i am doing and, by the time i got theft, all the players around me had already walled themselves, the only thing i could do with my skill was look for newbies to grief, which i didnt wanna do but i did just to test how crimes worked in the game since it was my first time.

It sucks, i stole a few curios from a couple living far far away, left a funny message and got marked as outlaw, probably gonna find myself dead the next day. But i dont care at this point.

This feels so backwards. The game wants you to work hard to have any safety, which is what people do, and then you lose the ability to interact with them.

The game should render new players protected from griefing and that protection ceases to exist as they start doing certain actions, or after a certain time.

The game rewards playing as a gang, which in itself brings a entire host of problems, like using alts, bots or multiple accounts.

Everywhere i go i see abandoned places or really organized settlements and rarely a in between. Seems like the majority of the playerbase is already ready to start doing what they have been doing for years now and i just dont see the point. Somehow the world feels more than a year old in less than a week.
fedor77

Re: The game is far too meta

Postby dagrimreefah » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:10 am

fedor77 wrote:Ever since i tried this game i wanted to hop in a world from the beginning to see how things are from start, i barely have any experience with the game and thought a fresh world would be interesting to play.

Well, it sorta was for the weekend, i spent my days in the woods, i didnt had a claim so i always lived under fear that someone would pass by and steal all my stuff. At the same time, i was trying to acquire experience to learn trespassing and theft to interact with the other players and commit petty crimes. But im far too inexperienced to know what i am doing and, by the time i got theft, all the players around me had already walled themselves, the only thing i could do with my skill was look for newbies to grief, which i didnt wanna do but i did just to test how crimes worked in the game since it was my first time.

It sucks, i stole a few curios from a couple living far far away, left a funny message and got marked as outlaw, probably gonna find myself dead the next day. But i dont care at this point.

This feels so backwards. The game wants you to work hard to have any safety, which is what people do, and then you lose the ability to interact with them.

The game should render new players protected from griefing and that protection ceases to exist as they start doing certain actions, or after a certain time.

The game rewards playing as a gang, which in itself brings a entire host of problems, like using alts, bots or multiple accounts.

Everywhere i go i see abandoned places or really organized settlements and rarely a in between. Seems like the majority of the playerbase is already ready to start doing what they have been doing for years now and i just dont see the point. Somehow the world feels more than a year old in less than a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1lfSzgcAw
dagrimreefah

Postby stya » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:09 am

tl;dr

fedor77 wrote:im far too inexperienced to know what i am doing
stya

Postby loftar » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:53 pm

fedor77 wrote:The game should render new players protected from griefing and that protection ceases to exist as they start doing certain actions, or after a certain time.

The problem is that is too powerful. All experience has shown that if you need to do more than look angrily at a newly spawned character to make it go away, they are powerful enough to be used in untoward ways.

stya wrote:tl;dr
fedor77 wrote:im far too inexperienced to know what i am doing

Well yes, that is arguably exactly what he's saying. "The game can't be played without having 10 years of experience with it" is a legitimate complaint in itself.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Odynak » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:43 pm

loftar wrote:Well yes, that is arguably exactly what he's saying. "The game can't be played without having 10 years of experience with it" is a legitimate complaint in itself.

There should be a lightweight version of HnH for newcomers. Probably, a separate island with limited stuff accessible and all battle related stats set to some default value. So even if some one evil comes from the main land - his stats are dropped to the same default value and he cannot do much harm.
Odynak

Postby Procne » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:13 pm

fedor77 wrote: the only thing i could do with my skill was look for newbies to grief, which i didnt wanna do but i did just to test how crimes worked in the game since it was my first time.

What do you imagine, would a world look like, if an inexperienced people, like you, could do more crimes than steal a few curios from some noobs?
Procne

Postby Zampfeo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:08 pm

loftar wrote:
fedor77 wrote:The game should render new players protected from griefing and that protection ceases to exist as they start doing certain actions, or after a certain time.

The problem is that is too powerful. All experience has shown that if you need to do more than look angrily at a newly spawned character to make it go away, they are powerful enough to be used in untoward ways.

To give OP a bit more context: giving freshspawns power also means giving alts power. If, for example, fresh spawns were immune to combat, that would enable people to use alts as invincible scouts. People still make scouting alts, but they're pretty easy to deal with. Just KO them. The game is balanced with this in mind. It is why rage costs 30k LP. Else, someone could have a naked army of alts.

fedor77 wrote:The game rewards playing as a gang, which in itself brings a entire host of problems, like using alts, bots or multiple accounts.

The game encourages specialization. It's an intended feature. You can still play alone, but you won't get far without at least one alt (hunter/miner + crafter).

fedor77 wrote:At the same time, i was trying to acquire experience to learn trespassing and theft to interact with the other players and commit petty crimes. But im far too inexperienced to know what i am doing and, by the time i got theft, all the players around me had already walled themselves, the only thing i could do with my skill was look for newbies to grief, which i didnt wanna do but i did just to test how crimes worked in the game since it was my first time.

I think you have a point here. There should probably be more options for "doing crime" besides stealing from newbs, ganking, and sieging. Conflict is very black and white, salt-the-earth. Lockpicking technically exists, but it's been turned off for gates because getting into one's gate means everything is getting destroyed. I'm just spitballing here: maybe some hearth magic that provides a buff to pass through gates, but gives red-handed for 8hrs and increases damage from leaving a scent from 1 SHP to 50 HHP.
Zampfeo

Postby fedor77 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:47 pm

Procne wrote:What do you imagine, would a world look like, if an inexperienced people, like you, could do more crimes than steal a few curios from some noobs?

The game is already played under that notion, hence why i see a lot of villages go for walls before anything else. I dont want to be able to do more crimes, i want to be able to interact with other players but this game lacks any scaling in that sense, you go from not being able to do anything to being able to steal and kill. There is no in between, there is no room for petty crimes, its like if GTA only had 1 star in the wanted scale.

I dont know how to fix the crime problem, it would be hard to put stealing material on a scale to quantify how serious of a thief a person is, but as far as PVP goes, a ability to spar or hustle other players just to knock them down or just to give them a good beating, i dont know, could be interesting.

Walls should be some endgame goal imo, when factions start sieging each other, but again, this is just a noob's mad rambling at this point.
fedor77

Postby MightySheep » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:56 pm

you wont find a open world full loot pvp game where most of your complaints are not the case
MightySheep

Return to Critique & Ideas