Spitroasting should have a stamina cost.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Spitroasting should have a stamina cost.

Postby Southpaw » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:06 pm

It is a laborious action involving your hands, and seems to be quite exerting. I think it should drain at least as much as pumping a stack furnace does, and maybe should also have a spitroasting speed increase based on your strength, starting from a speed slower than current.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Re: Spitroasting should have a stamina cost.

Postby Sevenless » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:37 pm

I prefer the idea of making the spit spin faster. Then we could have this, but cooking style.

https://youtu.be/Z8yW5cyXXRc?t=37
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby QuirkySmirkyIan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:22 am

Southpaw wrote:It is a laborious action involving your hands, and seems to be quite exerting. I think it should drain at least as much as pumping a stack furnace does, and maybe should also have a spitroasting speed increase based on your strength, starting from a speed slower than current.

So for sprucecaps which is the main reason the food is relavent it would cost more energy to produce the food?
QuirkySmirkyIan

Postby Southpaw » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:26 am

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:
Southpaw wrote:It is a laborious action involving your hands, and seems to be quite exerting. I think it should drain at least as much as pumping a stack furnace does, and maybe should also have a spitroasting speed increase based on your strength, starting from a speed slower than current.

So for sprucecaps which is the main reason the food is relavent it would cost more energy to produce the food?

if you think spitroasts are primarily enjoyed by sprucecaps I have news for you.
Southpaw

Postby VDZ » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:46 am

Southpaw wrote:if you think spitroasts are primarily enjoyed by sprucecaps I have news for you.

You're missing the point. For people who don't have alts for everything, recovering Energy is a significant part of the reason to eat food. To make the preparation cost stamina (and thus reduce Energy) would make for very frustrating experiences. I recently manually sped up spitroasting for a bit so I could have my food ready to get my Energy back to Healing so I could recover my SHP. If preparing the food cost me Energy too it would cause me to drop out of Healing again, forcing me to eat more food...which is especially bad considering we still have the Hunger mechanic which punishes you for eating poorly.
VDZ

Postby Southpaw » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:59 am

VDZ wrote:
Southpaw wrote:if you think spitroasts are primarily enjoyed by sprucecaps I have news for you.

You're missing the point...which is especially bad considering we still have the Hunger mechanic which punishes you for eating poorly.

My friend, a spitroast deer gives you your entire energy pool back. Surely you'll be safe from starvation.

I think it should be in line with all other forms of cooking which are quite stamina intense.
Southpaw

Postby VDZ » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 am

Southpaw wrote:My friend, a spitroast deer gives you your entire energy pool back.

Not everyone is spitroasting deer in the first week. Fish (the two or three pieces you get) doesn't give that much energy.

Southpaw wrote:I think it should be in line with all other forms of cooking which are quite stamina intense.

What are you talking about? Most cooking just involves one or two crafts with normal crafting stamina consumption per food item.
VDZ

Postby Sephiron » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:11 pm

Southpaw wrote:I think it should be in line with all other forms of cooking which are quite stamina intense.

Like what? Are you talking about putting something in the oven and walking away? Or do you mean putting something in the drying rack and walking away? Or no, you probably mean putting something in the cheese rack and walking away
Sephiron

Return to Critique & Ideas