time gating mechanics

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

time gating mechanics

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:38 am

I rly like the time gating mechanics.
I like the retarded knife fights that make me feel like a hobo.
I like that the people I'm attacking usually have similar gear to me.
I like that things are a lot slower paced so I can actually play the game, not just do work.

That said, I think the joy of discovery is making it needlessly stressful.
I assume every competent group's miner stayed awake for like 24+ hours on the first day screeching with their walls covered in blood and shit because they couldn't find copper. I really feel like you guys should let people know what to expect with this, especially if there are already set expectations from previous worlds.

Likewise, if the time-gating isn't global, it's based on building something, then groups that get knocked out are kinda hard fucked. Plus it makes you have to over-commit to whatever mineholes you have, which isn't super fun.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Re: time gating mechanics

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:43 am

the knife doesn't even seem like the most optimal pvp build atm so they dont seem that useful
most of early world is just spent waiting for timegates and the gameplay in the meantime is just going around and stealing ppls leather and shit so they have to wait even longer
the mine pyre thing is very retarded imo, it takes way too long. i wouldn't mind slower paced gameplay, however, i think it's a bit TOO slow at the moment.

also yeah chalco not being on L1 would've been nice to have communicated heh... also any nab who gets their mine pyre bashed is gonna wanna kill themselves having to wait for 20 more years
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:46 am

I'm fine with trying out timegates, something new. But I agree that not knowing how the mechanic works when it could potentially be very impactful to players makes this more stressful. At least knowing eta on burn times for pyres (or if there's some catchup mechanic involved, aka after the first pyre gets to a level all those pyres only take 24hrs or something now) would let us plan ahead a bit.

Honestly, I'm most interested in what this becomes next world when the progression is know/metaed as much as is feasible.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:30 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:also any nab who gets their mine pyre bashed is gonna wanna kill themselves having to wait for 20 more years

Ye, we've bashed like 10 of them. I guess we don't know it's not just LARP for a global timer, but if it's not those people will be completely defenseless for like 3 days once everybody else gets bronze, which would be very cringe.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby VDZ » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:16 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:also yeah chalco not being on L1 would've been nice to have communicated heh...

Wait, what the fuck? There's no copper on L1 anymore? I've been slow with getting my metal up (completely forgot soft metal was accessible from world start since last world, so I figured there was no need to rush until I had coal) so this is the first time I'm hearing this. How does the mine pyre mechanic work, do you still need to invest 50 leather and 20 wax to build a mine hole after the pyre finishes burning? Because that takes a crazy long time if you're not spending ages collecting 100 candleberries...
VDZ

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:20 am

VDZ wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:also yeah chalco not being on L1 would've been nice to have communicated heh...

Wait, what the fuck? There's no copper on L1 anymore? I've been slow with getting my metal up (completely forgot soft metal was accessible from world start since last world, so I figured there was no need to rush until I had coal) so this is the first time I'm hearing this. How does the mine pyre mechanic work, do you still need to invest 50 leather and 20 wax to build a mine hole after the pyre finishes burning? Because that takes a crazy long time if you're not spending ages collecting 100 candleberries...

As far as I know it doesn't exist on L1, perhaps I'm wrong but I haven't seen it and I've looked extremely hard, no other faction I've spoke with has either and if they did we would all have spears and stuff by now. Basically you just place it and it's meant to crack the ground so you can build a minehole and then after that you have to regularly build one. The pyre takes extremely long to finish though and it can be very easily bashed lol.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby VDZ » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:40 am

Requiring a minehole to get access to hard metals...I usually don't complain about factions getting ahead of smaller villages and hermits (that's inevitable and it's only right that more total time invested = more progression) but this causes an insane gap. You guys probably all have hard metals already, but for people who can't nolife candleberry wax and rely on beeskep wax generation this is going to take AGES. It probably won't be until week 3 or so that I can finally get natural access to copper. So many things are locked behind hard metals...
VDZ

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:47 am

VDZ wrote:You guys probably all have hard metals already

You are literally retarded.
SnuggleSnail

Postby VDZ » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:49 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:

Am I wrong? You mentioned 3 days and ChildhoodObesity confirmed mineholes still need to be built afterwards so I figured the pyre burn time was 3 days and yours have finished burning already. Are your pyres still burning even now, 4.5 days in?
VDZ

Postby Vigilance » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:08 am

VDZ wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:

Am I wrong? You mentioned 3 days and ChildhoodObesity confirmed mineholes still need to be built afterwards so I figured the pyre burn time was 3 days and yours have finished burning already. Are your pyres still burning even now, 4.5 days in?

my mine pyre has been burning for long enough that i've experienced every stage of grief twice over.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas