Mine Pyre Catchup

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Mine Pyre Catchup

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:37 pm

Killing someone's mine pyre when it's a flat 7 day burn time is a brutal blow, especially if it's mid burn. Could the time to burn a mine pyre be shortened after X days have passed since world start?

Example: L1 Mine pyre takes 7 days to burn, but after IRL day 10 of the world L1 Mine pyres have their burn speed increased so it only takes 3.5 days instead of 7 (or whatever feels balanced).

Each tier of minehole gets the buff at 3 + 7*Mine level days so that there's an advantage of being the first down by a couple days, but people lagging aren't permanently locked at X days behind because their pyre got put down late or destroyed.

The exact # days between catchup phases and the % speed increase were just spitballing, whatever feels right works for me.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Re: Mine Pyre Catchup

Postby The_Lich_King » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:08 am

+1
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Massa » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:18 am

this shit is fucking stupid and a waste of everyone's time and it solved 0 problems so instead of changing how many cha-chas are in this retarded song and dance we should just chuck it in the trash

all they had to do was remove mining out boulders and remove damage from cave-ins to supports but no we get le fire face
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:29 am

Massa wrote:this shit is fucking stupid and a waste of everyone's time and it solved 0 problems so instead of changing how many cha-chas are in this retarded song and dance we should just chuck it in the trash

all they had to do was remove mining out boulders and remove damage from cave-ins to supports but no we get le fire face

A lot of players, myself included, are actually enjoying this. Just needing to know what to plan around timing wise was the frustrating thing.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Massa » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:31 am

Sevenless wrote:
Massa wrote:this shit is fucking stupid and a waste of everyone's time and it solved 0 problems so instead of changing how many cha-chas are in this retarded song and dance we should just chuck it in the trash

A lot of players, myself included, are actually enjoying this. Just needing to know what to plan around timing wise was the frustrating thing.

This will be horrendous past the early world. It's great, early world, if there are just flat timers to extend all that juicy early world gameplay, that's fine. I'm loving this as well, for now. But if we're 5 months in and someone still has to wait 7 whole ass days, or 3, or wait at all for literally no reason, not balance nor gameplay's sake, to put down a minehole they have the mats for, that is utter asscheeks.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby VDZ » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:06 am

3.5 days still seems excessive (multiply by the number of layers for people joining later). It should probably end up at 24 hours or something. The primary purpose was to slow world progression, holding players back significantly after the world has progressed far past them makes no sense.
VDZ

Postby Zyean » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:54 am

VDZ wrote:3.5 days still seems excessive (multiply by the number of layers for people joining later). It should probably end up at 24 hours or something. The primary purpose was to slow world progression, holding players back significantly after the world has progressed far past them makes no sense.

Technically doesn't slow down at all if it's less than 3.5 days, you're limited by coal for ~3 days anyway even assuming pyres were gone again, so they need to be minimum 4 days for it to be a relevant time gate
Zyean

Postby VDZ » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:03 am

Zyean wrote:
VDZ wrote:3.5 days still seems excessive (multiply by the number of layers for people joining later). It should probably end up at 24 hours or something. The primary purpose was to slow world progression, holding players back significantly after the world has progressed far past them makes no sense.

Technically doesn't slow down at all if it's less than 3.5 days, you're limited by coal for ~3 days anyway even assuming pyres were gone again, so they need to be minimum 4 days for it to be a relevant time gate

Multiply by the number of layers. People want to go deeper than layer 2. And even for layer 2, people who get their pyre wrecked halfway through have their coal but still need to wait for the pyre to finish.
VDZ

Postby pawnchito » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:53 am

Sevenless wrote:

Yeah the not knowing is a kink in the plans for sure. It is kind of nice but the deeper mine holes are going to get really fucking crazy if there isnt a decay in the time. Like people 8 months from now will always be at least 7 - 8 weeks behind.
pawnchito

Postby jorb » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 am

I could see doing 7/1. Think it would make some sense if mineholes can't be built instantly. Historically there have been various exploits and village raids depending on a very sudden minehole.

Will consider.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas