Lighting Fires or Anything Else

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Lighting Fires or Anything Else

Postby Noon575 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:01 am

Would love to see a "fix" or improvement to lighting stoves, fires etc....

Could it be that if you have a lit torch in you hand that you could just walk up to a lightable object (fire, stove, smelter, etc etc) and just be able to right click that item and then have it light versus currently having to take the torch out of you hand slot with the cursor then right click object and replace. This would sure make lighting multiple of these items so much better than, light torch, place in hand, walk to oven take out of hand light, replace into hand walk to next stove light, repeat repeat repeat etc. etc.

Thoughts?
Noon575

Re: Lighting Fires or Anything Else

Postby Sevenless » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:28 am

I think interacting with a lightable object when it is unlit but fueled should just light it if you have a lit torch in your hand.

Really though, the base client should have better support for moving while things are "held" in your cursor. That feature is used to light things a lot for me. Lock my cursor, walk around, light something, put torch back in belt.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Noon575 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:53 am

Thats what I was getting at, just got a little wordy.

Simply put, If I have a lit torch in my hand and a lightable object has fuel and just needs to be lit you should be able to just right click that item and select "light" and have it light instead of having to take it out onto the cursor to use it.
Noon575

Postby Sephiron » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:05 am

When you have an item in your cursor, hold CTRL and left click to move. You can use this to carry one extra item than your inventory can hold, and to interact with multiple objects with one item. That's how I light all of me spitroost
Sephiron

Postby Zampfeo » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:03 pm

I prefer Candelabrums for that reason. You can light the candle and just "Lift" the whole damn candelabrum up to light everything with. Transportable. No tar needed.
Zampfeo

Postby Sevenless » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:49 pm

Sephiron wrote:When you have an item in your cursor, hold CTRL and left click to move. You can use this to carry one extra item than your inventory can hold, and to interact with multiple objects with one item. That's how I light all of me spitroost

I find that very unreliable. I'm not sure if it's a default feature or not, but a flat lock is a lot easier than a hold imo.

Also a hotkey to drop things over water would be nice. As funny as "haha gotem" is with dropping kuksas in the early game, still want the feature.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Mysia » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:13 pm

cntrl click while holding an item is a default client feature
Mysia

Postby vatas » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:46 pm

The trick seems to be you have to release and re-press Ctrl key down again when giving another move command.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Sevenless » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:19 pm

vatas wrote:The trick seems to be you have to release and re-press Ctrl key down again when giving another move command.

Gross, explains why it wasn't intuitive.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Return to Critique & Ideas