The woes of stilling

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

The woes of stilling

Postby Reiber » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:32 am

i like making and refining drinks, and i like that it is enough work to have potential for its own playstile, but it seems incompleate and not thought through enough. and the amount of tedium and waittimers is insane,

fermented drinks will never keep up quality wise with tea, and thus are severely unoptimal for recreational use, and will only exist around tables,
wine and cider at least offer you an way too enhance there satiation buffs, but you will need an insane amount of time and recources to get an basic production going.
for example: too make 1 barrel of clavados. it takes 2500 apples, thats 500 trees, and takes around 2 houres just too press. thats 5k grapes, and roughly 4 houres of pressing for one barrel of brandy, not counting refilling and emptying the press.

for what is essentially an x2 quality modivier on the satiations alone, thats still unreasonable,

press times should go down considerably,in general, maybe even pressing the whole batch at once, its just tedium without reason other than larp .
Stills only negatively capping produces is unneccesary i belive, either make them qualityless, or allow them too increase quality, so they can at least shine for an reasonable while before tea will take over again.

in its current state i dont see the alcohol industry go anywhere aside from being botted, or casual production , making an bit of beer or mead with waste materials from farming can be done by pretty much anyone in an village, while commiting too the business is barely reasonable for breathing beings. if tea is meant to be the hot stuff, and alcohol is exclusively there for single sips taken before eating, there is no reason to drink any unstilled drinks aside from beer.
relegating all other drinks to substitude vinegar production

in the end i would like there to be an creedo associated with it, probbably depending on farmer and lumberjack, or maybe mystic, that would allow you too make some fine brews with an reasonable workload,
maybee something along the lines of:
.increased yields from pressing
.higher alcohol tolerance/less satiations given against itself
.reduced vermentation time of liquids.
.increased conversionrates by stilling.
.ability to restill calvados and perry, applying"still strong" suffix cant be cycled again(assuming stills will be able to cap up)

just as an rough idea, there is loads of room to expand on that field. hell ,the creedo could give you an ua maneuver that turns the combatstatmali on summit attained,intoo buffs or whatever. i just would like to be content there, aside from gathering laughably amounts of trashrecources and turning them intoo other,larpy trashrecources
Reiber

Re: The woes of stilling

Postby Fostik » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:19 pm

I see nothing wrong with the stilling and brewing, producing drinks is fine and interesting, but drink itself is not as useful as it could be, which is a problem of hunger and satiations mechanics.

for example: too make 1 barrel of clavados. it takes 2500 apples, thats 500 trees, and takes around 2 houres just too press. thats 5k grapes, and roughly 4 houres of pressing for one barrel of brandy, not counting refilling and emptying the press.

This is just silly, x mechanic is bad because look how is it hard to make y amount of x.result
Just don't make that much, is not a still factory simulator, there is no even need to consume this amount.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby vatas » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:38 pm

If drinks are "useful" they can feel "mandatory" and making them will feel like "chore."

Already, drinking optimally to reduce satiations is considered tedious. Few simple QoL fixes have been suggested:

1. Add "gulp" option to quickly drink everything in a vessel (have to be stationary and not in combat I guess)

2. All drinks consider Silver River Goblet as an alternative "preferred vessel." Maybe add other types of goblets with same effect.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Reiber » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:03 am

Fostik wrote:I see nothing wrong with the stilling and brewing, producing drinks is fine and interesting, but drink itself is not as useful as it could be, which is a problem of hunger and satiations mechanics.

This is just silly, x mechanic is bad because look how is it hard to make y amount of x.result
Just don't make that much, is not a still factory simulator, there is no even need to consume this amount.

i know this is gonna be some thread necromancy, but i just logged in again,
if i am going to dedicate time for strong alcohol i might aswell fill the barrel, i mean, at some point barrels are either empty or full, logistically speaking,

besides i just want to have being an drunk alcoholic fuck as its own gameplay niche, and i would prefere if it actually did that by affecting my character instead of the it taking 2,5 seconds to press an single apple intoo juice.
Reiber

Return to Critique & Ideas