Reduce the terrain level/altitude difference range

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Reduce the terrain level/altitude difference range

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:51 am

I don't know exactly how to word this, but make the overall world flatter. Reduce the level difference caused by hills, cliffs, mountains, etc. I'm not saying you should remove them, but rather reduce this altitude/level difference range.

There are two main issues we have with terrain:
- Digging to prepare the area for your base can be very obnoxious
- Movement in general, especially in PvP fights

Regarding digging, there are many things that are annoying here, such as the energy drain and the need to have slave alts in order to avoid fucking your main character's hunger and stat progress. But even if we ignore this part of the issue, THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT TAKES to level some areas is just annoying.
Regarding movement, this issue can be best observed on mountains, when your *SUPPORTED* ortho camera literally clips through the ground. I know 95% of the terrain is not mountain terrain, but have you seen any games that have such issues? Also, when it takes you 10 seconds to climb/jump off a cliff, something clearly ain't right.

Thanks.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Re: Reduce the terrain level/altitude difference range

Postby Kyrex » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:44 am

Or perhaps just more flatland & flatter flatland while still allowing for the same extremes.

Regardless +1
ImageImageImage
Kyrex

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:46 am

No, no more pre-generated extremes. Reduce them.

Sure, allow us to artificially create extreme stuff, but don't spawn them in with the world generation.
Nightdawg

Postby noindyfikator » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:06 am

I don't see problem there. All is fine

W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby vatas » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:58 am

Of course it is alright that mountains are non-flat. However making sure there are some plateaus for mountain forts or outposts would be neat.

What the OP is complaining about, I think there some areas that are constant (across multiple minimaps) 20-40 degree slope.

Since in-game maps can't display topography, relatively limited size of land survey, this issue is compounded. You need to extensively and manually survey and area to figure out how much of a labor sink it will be to get flat.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:53 pm

vatas wrote:What the OP is complaining about, I think there some areas that are constant (across multiple minimaps) 20-40 degree slope.

I'm complaining about everything. Mountains too. Yes, mountains need to be big. They don't need to be so big that the *official supported camera* can't handle it. I also don't need to spend 2 business days to jump off a cliff.
Nightdawg

Postby bitza » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:38 pm

noindyfikator wrote:I don't see problem there. All is fine

oh man, I was actually missing this game and thinking about coming back, thank you for reminding me about shit like this
Karede wrote: It takes a special kind of autism to play this game
bitza

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:42 pm

Nightdawg wrote:I don't know exactly how to word this, but make the overall world flatter.

especially in PvP fights

just use a custom client bro
Zentetsuken

Postby vatas » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:22 am

Managed to completely overlook the "officially supported camera mode does not really work with mountains" -argument, that is valid criticism.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:43 am

Jorbtar likes to get upset over ugly custom client features, then turn around and make the game unplayable without them. If you don't turn your trees/reeds into tiny little neon squares you get 6 FPS on a $3000 computer.

I like luring people to deep water Loftar's tile transition has made invisible. I killed Dante like that in world 11. Feels good to delete somebody's character because of invisible death tiles they had no way to predict.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas