PVP STAT CAP GOOD

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

PVP STAT CAP GOOD

Postby DonVelD » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:55 pm

i won't have to grind like a maniac to play the game and actually enjoy other aspects of life in the meantime thanks
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Re: PVP STAT CAP GOOD

Postby reexar77 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:16 pm

DonVelD wrote:i won't have to grind like a maniac to play the game and actually enjoy other aspects of life in the meantime thanks

when the 300 stat cap was a thing all PVP'ers complained that the one with higher AGI always won and gildings meant everything, so people disliked the cap too.

PVP'ers need to pick a struggle.
The Infamous Alex A.K.A The Lion , The Fallen King , Destroyer of Worlds , Taker of women , Down under criminal , That one guy who forgets to bring his axe , Also lover of kittens and cupcakes , Stalker of mammoths and harvester of moss , Dispatcher of Russians , Rider of Buttstalion , Basement troll , Slayer of honeybuns , Romanian bane of nature
reexar77

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:32 pm

To be fair, HnH is the only game I've ever played where the endgame grind is more intense than the early game grind.
I'd always been interested in some sort of bi-valent softcap.... where attributes and skills increase traditionally up to some number (let's say 300). Then, a switch is flipped, and although they can be increased over 300, increasing them further becomes exponentially more costly to the extent that it becomes exceedingly difficult to do so until all progress peters off to minimal gains at most.

I hypothesize this would help more than hurt the endgame population, as although there may be "less to do," the grinding is so oppressive it even gets botting players to quit.

This would also make it easier to onboard players who don't start at world beginning.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby DonVelD » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:04 pm

reexar77 wrote:
when the 300 stat cap was a thing all PVP'ers complained that the one with higher AGI always won and gildings meant everything, so people disliked the cap too.

no the devs just need to do their job and implement changes that are well thought out. you'd want to cap the gilding stats too (we kinda have that anyway cause with the theoretical 300 stats you could only have up to 600 agi etc)
the players are within their rights to complain if they don't enjoy how the game is
btw agi doesn't matter in real scenarios anyways
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DonVelD

Postby overtyped » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:12 pm

The problem here is Jorbtar fucked up. When they implemented a stat cap in the past, it was a cap to ALL STATS, instead of just pvp stats. A full on stat cap is anti Haven, but if he did only PVP stats instead, nobody would be complaining.

The stat grind for pvp is nice up to a point, but after that it's just like a job. No matter how you make the curve, nobody likes the idea of having worse stats in pvp just because somebody has a bot while they don't, or grinds whales all day while you don't.
The stat cap was never wrong, just implement it properly this time. Let's please change the goalpost from grinding str agi con to grinding gear and weapons, and heart containers. This is much less toxic. Nobody is going to care if a farmer has 2000 dexterity, while u only have 400, because those stats don't matter. This allows you to keep havens endless grind without making bots the meta.

What we are doing now is not working, because most people quit after a month. Specifically, me and Robbin quit after grinding nonstop 24/7 when we found out someone we know had twice our con/str/agi by botting them, and played more casually than us. It's like sprinting on a treadmill beside someone who is walking, cancer.
Last edited by overtyped on Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby DonVelD » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:17 pm

grinding gear should be way easier too, since mining is so bad right now, only made a little bit easier by getting rid of boulders. but yeah, you're right bob dole
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DonVelD

Postby overtyped » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:25 pm

DonVelD wrote:grinding gear should be way easier too, since mining is so bad right now, only made a little bit easier by getting rid of boulders. but yeah, you're right bob dole

Yep, I mean, what's the harm in trying it one world to see if it works. They added a full on stat cap in the past, even though a full on stat cap was a garbage idea, it clearly shows they probably won't be that resistant to the idea of doing it just for con agi and str.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby Clemins » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:35 pm

reexar77 wrote:
DonVelD wrote:i won't have to grind like a maniac to play the game and actually enjoy other aspects of life in the meantime thanks

I think the way OP is trying to present this, and the way I'd like to see it too, is an end-goal for people who grind competitively for PVP. AGI gildings only make a difference in a "closed arena fight" type of scenario, like 1v1ing in a safe pali. This situation is more rare than you might think when it comes to "big-boy" autism. That kind of also brings up my issue with AGI in general feeling too weird in combat, but I'm not going to get into that.

Robben_DuMarsch wrote:I hypothesize this would help more than hurt the endgame population

Exactly, if this was limited to PVP relevant stats, this would be all the more reason for me or anyone to return to the game at a later date. People wont have to worry about being vastly outstated by someone who did not stop playing. I know that sounds like it would cater only to the pvp style of gameplay, but consider this and assume the cap is 1000:

1. You and me start playing on day 1 and play for an entire month about equally.
2. I focused my pvp stats for that whole month and I'm about 500 in all of them, while you played more casually and did a little bit of everything and got ~250 in pvp stats.
3. Month 2 you take a break and I continue playing and reach the cap of 1000.
4. Month 3 I take a break and you come back and play like you usually do, but this time you get to about 750 in relevant stats.
5. Month 4 I come back, my stats do not change and you hit the cap of 1000.
6. I end up running into you and we begin to fight and we are "equal" because of the above, instead of you having 1000 and I'm in the 1500-2000 ballpark.

That takes away one of the biggest complaints I've seen about wacky "no life" stats. You don't change how you play at all and you can come back mid-world without feeling like Mike Tyson is around every corner, and that goes for both of us.
Perhaps there could be something that limits STR, AGI, CON, UA, MC in ONLY PVP, so you can keep raising your stats regardless of this to fight trolls easier or show off or whatever.
Clemins

Postby reexar77 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:35 pm

DonVelD wrote:
reexar77 wrote:

no the devs just need to do their job and implement changes that are well thought out. you'd want to cap the gilding stats too (we kinda have that anyway cause with the theoretical 300 stats you could only have up to 600 agi etc)
the players are within their rights to complain if they don't enjoy how the game is
btw agi doesn't matter in real scenarios anyways

In modern scenarios it doesn't matter anymore because combat was revamped twice since the stat cap, you didn't have attacks like QB back then etc, everybody used sting cause shields were too OP , b12 users were gibbed hard especially at the start of w9 cause shield block was a must in most 1v1 , b12 users were like the final straw in big fights, 3 sword and shield users spam stuff to open you and then the b12 cleaves.

but yes in the current scenario agility isn't as important as it was back then, but the agility thing was a issue, just like bows were so op they could insta kill you with 1 click back then.
The Infamous Alex A.K.A The Lion , The Fallen King , Destroyer of Worlds , Taker of women , Down under criminal , That one guy who forgets to bring his axe , Also lover of kittens and cupcakes , Stalker of mammoths and harvester of moss , Dispatcher of Russians , Rider of Buttstalion , Basement troll , Slayer of honeybuns , Romanian bane of nature
reexar77

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:49 pm

I'm not gonna read anything in this thread, and you all already know it:

***ROLLING*** stat caps. Not static. ROLLING.

Thank you.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas