Rewrite GUI and Change character creation [for new players]

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Rewrite GUI and Change character creation [for new playe

Postby Clemins » Wed May 24, 2023 3:06 pm

Medium block of text I wasted time on instead of doing something productive:
Even back in the day (fuck, saying that makes me feel old), this game had super poor and way worse meta and external resources for learning. I get what the devs are trying to do; they're trying to make the game about "The Joy of Discovery!™" instead of "telling you how to play". It's an interesting idea on paper, but Haven has so much going on that if you were to rely on discovering everything yourself, it would honestly take a fucking lifetime. While I'm sure this game is everything the particular type of person who enjoys "Discovery" could ever want, this type of person doesn't even seem to last long. There are so many crucial game mechanics that are purposefully hidden from the playerbase that doing something someone has never seen before looks like bug abuse. 

Also, all this work for properly documenting the game to help people better understand what they are doing should not be so dependent on the playerbase. I always wondered why the Haven wiki was so "bare bones" and out of date, but honestly, at this point, it seems crazy to me that it has all the information it does.

I've been tempted to create guides surrounding PVP and fighter-character development. But with so little concrete evidence to back anything I say up, as well as the tendency for updates and changes to just happen on a whim, I decided not to. 

TLDR:

The game is annoying and frustrating as a feature, and is purposefully a noob trap for no reason other than "Discovery™".
However, I will give credit where credit's due: the new quests they added to this world to help get new players started was a good start. I hope they do more of this and refine it a bit more.
Clemins

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas