Since rendering is better, slightly un-nerf Survey flags?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Since rendering is better, slightly un-nerf Survey flags?

Postby vatas » Sun May 21, 2023 10:33 am

Context: people used to place hundreds of 1x1 survey flags near other people's bases (often with a script) that would tank their FPS. Only way to remove them (without scripts) requires minimum of two mouse click per flag.

To alleviate this, 5 survey limit per character and eventual decay of survey flags were added. Both probably still have their place (side benefit to the latter is that inaccessible flags will eventually despawn.)

I suggest a number adjustment: 10 flags per character, and flags take one whole RL week to decay (up from ~2 RL days.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: Since rendering is better, slightly un-nerf Survey flags

Postby loftar » Mon May 22, 2023 3:16 pm

vatas wrote:Only way to remove them (without scripts) requires minimum of two mouse click per flag.

I always thought of this as the main issue rather than the performance problem, and I'm not sure I think it has been "resolved". That being said, I guess an extension of the limit could be okay from that perspective, I just hadn't thought of it as particularly necessary.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Since rendering is better, slightly un-nerf Survey flags

Postby The_Blode » Wed May 24, 2023 3:34 pm

I'd like to weigh in that I've repeatedly found the limits restricting as a solo hermit type character.
Sometimes my landscaping goals are the kind that sit idle for a few days, and oftentimes I like to have multiple areas planned out all at once
The_Blode

Return to Critique & Ideas