Sponge diving rework

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Sponge diving rework

Postby vatas » Tue May 30, 2023 1:09 pm

How it works currently:
1) Sail around until you find a sponge.
2) toggle on swimming and equip a diver's weight that takes both hands.
3) Carefully position your boat or ship near the sponge, but not too close that it blocks you from grabbing the sponge (since the game engine doesn't, at least currently, actually have the ability to consider you being "under" the boat.)
4) Exit the craft.
5) Right-click sponge from minimap like regular forageable.
6) Get back to the craft when you have the sponge.

Main problem with stages 4-6 is that you are risking permanent death to gain a relatively mediocre curio (even when dried on herbalist table.)

While risk of permanently dying is part of the game, in this case it's especially outrageous as your character's life is now entirely in the hands of factors beyond your control: powergrid, digital communication infrastructure between you and the physical server hardware, and the server itself. If any of these fail, game goes "no refunds" and lets your character do nothing as it drowns.

Outside of hacky solutions like "disconnected player in deep water tries to swim to any nearby boat/ship" I think best way is to significantly rework "dive into water foraging."

1) Have "diving kit" installed/equipped on the ship or rowboat.
2) Sail around until you find a "diving location."
3) Perform the dive as single action where server makes your character dive and return to the craft, only way character dies is if they get KO or so something/somebody destroys the boat/ship.

This system would probably still make people not dive sponges on characters they absolutely do not want to die, as Jorb seems to consider entering Deep Water as statement of "I consent to my character being easily killed."

(Diving kit made of molded lead weight, X amount of rope and Seaman's knife.)
Last edited by vatas on Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: Sponge diving rework

Postby vatas » Tue May 30, 2023 1:17 pm

Pre-emptively adressing potential criticism:
1) You can maybe solve the powergrid issue by buying a "Uninterruptible Power Supply Unit" but this sounds excessive to more safely interact with a relatively minor game system.
2) In certain regions, there might be difference between reliability, whether you are customer of "cheap but shady" or "more expensive but professional" ISP. However both companies are equally affected if a critical cable gets cut.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby gravesmerch » Tue May 30, 2023 1:35 pm

if your client can zoom in then it's easier to park the boat really close

sponge could be used in wounds somehow, or if bathtub is added then you have soap and sponge already
gravesmerch

Postby Audiosmurf » Tue May 30, 2023 4:59 pm

There should be a life preserver that prevents stamina drain while swimming but not moving
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby r0ck4ev3r » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:46 pm

+1

If we had some medical use for sponges, that could help off set we low value of the curio;
"Don't just have an idea- have all of them." ~ Niv-Mizzet
r0ck4ev3r

Postby Halbertz » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:16 pm

vatas wrote:diver's weight

Another piece of wonderful content - smelting this thing for 12 hours to dive and find out that the game already has an analogue of tar baby (you, the player).
Halbertz

Return to Critique & Ideas