Gameplay Idea: Weighted Armor

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Gameplay Idea: Weighted Armor

Postby telum12 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:23 pm

Nightdawg wrote:I really don't want to have to add more automated equipment scripts that I will not share with the average great idea haver
Stop shooting yourselves in the foot

Just add a timer where you can't move when adding armour.

We'll all run naked with spears.

The great Q equaliser.

Imagine all the sprucecaps in their armour trying to run away from naked men with spears.

I'm fully behind this idea!
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby r0ck4ev3r » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:01 am

Let me quantify a value of "small" to movement speed de-buff: Someone armored would lose around a tile and a half for every hundred tiles ran (Speed*[1-[x/100])

0.3 for Reinforced
0.2 for Studded
0.1 for Padded

Five reinforced items would add up to 1.5 for a value of x.
Speed*(1-[1.5/100]) = Movement would equal 0.985 of total.
//values estimated and simplified for example.

If anyone has a better idea then juggling rabbits in bunny slippers, by all means let's hear it.
Don't get me wrong, I would rather see dev time on the more important updates/fixes;
"Don't just have an idea- have all of them." ~ Niv-Mizzet
r0ck4ev3r

Postby bumfrog » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:13 pm

any movement speed buffs/debuffs, even one billionth of a percent, immediately ruin pvp combat and I’m not joking. If you’re any amount faster than your opponent they’re fucked and the fact that bunny slipper, forager credo, and wind object bonuses favor chasees over chasers is what makes them even remotely balanced (since the devs are larpers who want ‘prey’ to have a decent chance at escaping)

The fact that you think “oh it’s going to be a small debuff” changes anything only evidences how misguided this idea was from the getgo
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby dagrimreefah » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:48 pm

i concur, this idea is really dumb and the only way you could think it's even remotely feasible is lack of PVP experience. I'm surprised it generated 3 pages of discussion.
dagrimreefah

Postby Halbertz » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:52 am

bumfrog wrote:The fact that you think “oh it’s going to be a small debuff” changes anything only evidences how misguided this idea was from the getgo

Yeah, even 0,5% that we have already makes difference.
Halbertz

Postby Clemins » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:45 pm

It's posts like these that really make me think and wonder why there are so many sprucecaps that ask for it... Did some sort of BDSM forum get shut down years ago and they all just migrated here for some reason?

The masochism can't just be a coincidence...r-right??
Clemins

Postby Sevenless » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:26 pm

Clemins wrote:It's posts like these that really make me think and wonder why there are so many sprucecaps that ask for it... Did some sort of BDSM forum get shut down years ago and they all just migrated here for some reason?

The masochism can't just be a coincidence...r-right??

Look at it from their point of view (I'm assuming this isn't just "realism"), it makes more sense: Non-pvpers always get caught by pvpers, because they don't understand running mechanics/aren't properly equipped. PvPers want armor, so making pvpers slower will allow non-pvpers a better chance at escaping without needing to be properly geared/trained.

What they don't understand is how running impacts pvp. This change would have massive, unfun and weird ramifications on pvp meta. All naked (well... armorless anyway) pvpers with boar spears is definitely a possible meta that could evolve from it, and haha funny aside that's a horrible meta. Unless somehow it makes sense in the pointy dirt stage of the world.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Clemins » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:04 pm

Sevenless wrote:What they don't understand is how running impacts pvp. This change would have massive, unfun and weird ramifications on pvp meta. All naked (well... armorless anyway) pvpers with boar spears is definitely a possible meta that could evolve from it, and haha funny aside that's a horrible meta. Unless somehow it makes sense in the pointy dirt stage of the world.

Yeah I mean, jokes aside, that is what would happen. No one would wear armor anymore (that knew what they were doing). Depending on how drastic the speed reduction actually is, its hard to imagine it being useful in PVE even, such as the the 1 few times where it's realistic to have it (like troll killing). I get the "Immersion™" appeal of this and other similar things, but this is literally anti-fun. This is a game and it should be FUN not PAINFUL.
Clemins

Postby yym331 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:32 pm

But, well, if you change your mindset
Everyone will be able to fight just by holding a weapon
Haven and Hearth Secrets of Hunting and Combat - Archive
https://youtu.be/2HdoAHInheQ
yym331

Postby Clemins » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:52 pm

yym331 wrote:But, well, if you change your mindset
Everyone will be able to fight just by holding a weapon