Gameplay Idea: Weighted Armor

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Gameplay Idea: Weighted Armor

Postby bumfrog » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:36 am

vatas wrote:"Wearing any armor" is such a fascinating concept for a newbie trap. I almost want to see it.

Hey we already have “eating any food,” and “attacking any animal,” what’s one more?
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby AriZona » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:49 am

r0ck4ev3r wrote:Add in a small stacking negative movement speed modifier based on armor type(s): Padded (cloths) -> Studded (hide/bone/leather) -> Reinforced (metals)

This idea is reasonable and helpful to gameplay, but only if weapons and skills (unarmed, sword, dual hand weapons, archery) are re-balanced as well. For example, it makes perfect sense encourage arches wearing light armor and be able to move fast, while them wearing heavy armor would penalize their movement speed and damage (accuracy). Heavy weapons (b12 and similar) would penalize movement and force wearing heavy armor. Swords/shield would stand somewhere in between. BTW, the ability to handle heavy armor and weapons should be STR dependent as well.

Fully unarmed should have buffed damage and reduced cool downs when not wearing any armor and exceptionally only light armor; plus movement bonus.
AriZona

Postby AriZona » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:52 am

AriZona wrote:
r0ck4ev3r wrote:Add in a small stacking negative movement speed modifier based on armor type(s): Padded (cloths) -> Studded (hide/bone/leather) -> Reinforced (metals)

This idea is reasonable and helpful to gameplay, but only if weapons and skills (unarmed, sword, dual hand weapons, archery) are re-balanced as well. For example, it makes perfect sense encourage arches wearing light armor and be able to move fast, while them wearing heavy armor would penalize their movement speed and damage (accuracy). Heavy weapons (b12 and similar) would penalize movement and force wearing heavy armor. Swords/shield would stand somewhere in between. BTW, the ability to handle heavy armor and weapons should be STR dependent as well and should ignore AGI.

Fully unarmed should have buffed damage scaled by UA and reduced cool downs when not wearing any armor and exceptionally only light armor; plus movement bonus scales by AGI.
AriZona

Postby OIchi » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:48 pm

AriZona wrote:

This idea is reasonable and helpful to gameplay, but only if weapons and skills (unarmed, sword, dual hand weapons, archery) are re-balanced as well. For example, it makes perfect sense encourage arches wearing light armor and be able to move fast, while them wearing heavy armor would penalize their movement speed and damage (accuracy). Heavy weapons (b12 and similar) would penalize movement and force wearing heavy armor. Swords/shield would stand somewhere in between. BTW, the ability to handle heavy armor and weapons should be STR dependent as well.

Fully unarmed should have buffed damage and reduced cool downs when not wearing any armor and exceptionally only light armor; plus movement bonus.

Have you ever taken part in the pvp combat in this game or at least seen video of one? Have you tried to understand existing dynamics of the combat?
Penalizing movement for using some weapons would make them unusable, you could simply run circles around slowpokes and never let them hit you at all. If you can't catch anyone or run away, you are basically waiting for others to beat you up.
Hell even right now fighters do this to ppl that can't manage their stamina properly.
It would not be helpful to gameplay, quite the opposite since almost everyone would use light/no armor, practically removing other options from the game.
OIchi

Postby Clemins » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:19 pm

This suggestion is starting to feel more and more like a small group of unpaid firefighters trying to keep a Koala from climbing up high-voltage powerlines. Does the Koala know what it's doing is a bad idea and will ultimately end up deep frying himself in his own fat from the inside out? No. Of course not. However, the real frustrating part is the firefighters, while having good intentions, know they're going to get bit, scratched, and shit on by the Koala while trying to keep him from killing himself. Even more frustrating than that, the moment the Koala is brought back down, it's just going to climb back up again. At a certain point the firefighters aren't going to care anymore and will just let the Koala climb up again and allow whatever happens to happen.

So what I'm trying to say is, yes, let's add weighted armor...

I'm hungry for some 200,000 volt fried koala meat.
Clemins

Postby vatas » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:13 pm

Clemins wrote:I'm hungry for some 200,000 volt fried koala meat.

At first glance, I only read this part and quickly moved to the start to figure out why you wanted SnuggleSnail put on electric chair (since he lives in Australia, where koalas also live.)

Better analogy:

Two men are at the bridge with their dog. Dog is doing decent but has some health problems. One person comes and says they should address said problems by tossing the dog off the bridge. Dozen other people form a mob around the two dog owners and the yeeting advocate, trying to explain why it is a bad idea. Some people join and, either through ignorance or chance to engage in some tomfoolery, start supporting the dog-yeeting.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby bumfrog » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:17 pm

Clemins wrote:let the sprucecaps die

In theory I agree! But your analogy has a critical flaw

the drooling retards making/supporting this Top Idea will never meaningfully engage with PVP. It’s only everyone else that gets fucked by armor movement speed debuffs. At best the Idea Havers will have a little harder time fleeing the ants or foxes they hunt, assuming they play the game at all.

It’s more like if the Koala eating the power line also shut down the entire city’s power grid, and knowing the snail-pace response time of the “government” in reponding to such obvious issues it’s a better use of one’s time to drag the koala down at every possible opportunity
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby Sevenless » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:27 pm

bumfrog wrote:
vatas wrote:"Wearing any armor" is such a fascinating concept for a newbie trap. I almost want to see it.

Hey we already have “eating any food,” and “attacking any animal,” what’s one more?

I remember the first hafen world and I died day 1 to ants because they added animal speed variance + all animals had the chance to keep hitting you (at the time). I was just doing lazy inland ant raiding until a super ant that you couldn't sprint away from KOed me and I got curb stomped by 20 ant swarms that I hadn't bothered to de-aggro.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby dagrimreefah » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:33 pm

Sevenless wrote:I remember the first hafen world and I died day 1 to ants because they added animal speed variance + all animals had the chance to keep hitting you (at the time). I was just doing lazy inland ant raiding until a super ant that you couldn't sprint away from KOed me and I got curb stomped by 20 ant swarms that I hadn't bothered to de-aggro.

Needless to say, those ants ate good that night ¦]
dagrimreefah

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas