Mine level progression

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Mine level progression

Postby Dawidio123 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:20 am

Podli wrote:I don't know how this game works but i have opinions

While it is correct that once you eat 1000s of foods the stats will average out to be what they are supposed to, why should i get fucked over in the short run if i get unlucky getting my early INT in the first week.
Snail no black-box suggestion makes little difference in the long run but saves you from getting fucked in the short run, since as you said large numbers will average out, so why not take the randomness out of the equation and be done with it.

I don't like satiations but i don't think it's because of them being bad as a mechanic since it does try to limit W10-like bullshit where you just kept on eating cupboards of pumpkin pies, it's just that there are literally like 4-6 good foods (for important stats, crafter stats can easily outpace industry softcap requierments) in the game, that makes it so you basically need to eat same 4 things on cooldown (satiation) since hunger is not an issue once you get good enough table.
Honestly i don't think people would complain as much about satiations if they could make more than 3 kinds of food that actually gives them enough fep they want, making hunger the thing that actually limits their stat gains

Also how is decreasing the difference between jack of all trades and specialized character a good thing? Why should you get rewarded for doing everything on a single character instead of you know, specializing, obviously a specialized character should do better than the one that is not. Like yeah you need a character with a lot of str to mine, no your fucking jack of all trades cannot just go to -9 and mine out trolls, why should he be able to do so? Your only reason is "I don't like having multiple characters but i want to reap the benefits of having specialized characters" (you could join a group, it's a social game). You aren't meant to be able to do everything by yourself the second it becomes available. You either have a dedicated miner, or you get to the next cave level a bit later. Groups that are able to have one person dedicate their character AND playtime to a single thing should absolutely have an advantage over someone that tries to do everything themselves.

Podli wrote:By hermit i can catch up with all things solo, without specialized characters - thanx for gilding sets. I have enough stats and skills for every single thing except mining. Why this exception should exist? What is good for?

You can't, it's not an exception. You just have no clue how far ahead organized groups are unless you are directly shown that your character is subpar (wall being to hard to mine), thus you see it as an exception.
Even if you could mine on each level straight away, it's too much work to actually keep up with your industry as a single person. So you either join a group and play efficiently (and then quit month 3 since it's so fun), or do your own stupid bullshit of doing a little bit of everything on a single character and progress slower due to it being a stupid ass strategy (Tbf making a char with 400s or so of every stat is a great tailor character so there is that).
This is furthermore incentivized with credos being tedious pos, that are not supposed to be all done on a single character (imagine cave hermit into herder lmao).
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Podli » Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:50 am

Dawidio123 wrote:
Podli wrote:I don't know how this game works but i have opinions

While it is correct that once you eat 1000s of foods the stats will average out to be what they are supposed to, why should i get fucked over in the short run if i get unlucky getting my early INT in the first week.

Ok, let's do some simple math.
We eating 70% int and 30% of another shit 100 times. Let's asume than we're "fucked over" if we get 60 or less int. And totally fucked up - if 50 or less.
We're do some simple math with Bernulli formulas and sum of series and we have result - probability of bein "fucked over" is... 2%! Such a HUGE chance! Ant totally fucked up with disasterous 0.0022% chance!
But if we wanna eat 200 times with same chances - probability of getting less than 120 int instead of 140 is 0.16%

In the law of big numbers 100 or 200 IS a big numbers.
https://i.ibb.co/cNvH4bP/image.png
This is formula of getting 50 or more "bad" results with chances 3/10 in series of 100 tries - just play with this math with different numbers.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/
There you can do online some math outside of common calculator.
Podli

Postby Dawidio123 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:32 pm

Podli wrote:...

Okay, you just ignored my points of there not needing to be rng involved if overall it would be the same as not having it in the long run. And yeah chance of 2% is small but why there should be one? Are you fine with 2% chance of getting shit thrown into your face everyday? (Also assuming that you can eat 70% int foods up to like 70 int is either optimistic, foolish or not considering the early game, before dried fish at least)

It was my mistake to try to argue with a hermit that doesn't know how the game works, snail was right, you are objectively wrong, and too deep up your own ass to actually understand what others are complaining about since those issues aren't affecting you and your equal stat jack of all trades character.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Dawidio123

Postby Podli » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:12 pm

Dawidio123 wrote:
Podli wrote:...

Okay, you just ignored my points of there not needing to be rng involved if overall it would be the same as not having it in the long run. And yeah chance of 2% is small but why there should be one? Are you fine with 2% chance of getting shit thrown into your face everyday? (Also assuming that you can eat 70% int foods up to like 70 int is either optimistic, foolish or not considering the early game, before dried fish at least)

It was my mistake to try to argue with a hermit that doesn't know how the game works, snail was right, you are objectively wrong, and too deep up your own ass to actually understand what others are complaining about since those issues aren't affecting you and your equal stat jack of all trades character.

You, like all people who is not familiar with probability theory math (this means almost all people) just overestimete RNG impact in the game in this case. Even with this extreme example like eating in the first 1-2 days.
I proved, that missing 10 int when you're eating 100 times with 70% chances have 2% chance to occur. If you're eating 140 times with 50% chances - chance to miss 10 int is 5% - nothing really bad happened.
So we have 5% chance to be "fucked up". In fact this means losing less than 10% of LP for one day - because when you're limited by int, every next point of int gained provide less LP. Because the more LP you have - the less average LP/h/mw you'll get in your study desk. LP from study desk is just part of gained LP for first days - because at start you have significant gains from discovering things and quests. Assume you're pretty lazy with quests and those gains is just 10% of your total LP, so we'll get 9% less LP total.
Assume we dumping half LP in skills, and half in UA (this is wrong, but it's extreme lower estimation). So we'll get 18% less LP in UA.
This means in fact - instead of 50 UA you'll have 54.
WOW! Such a HUGE rng impact! In the game with up to x2 equalisation for combat.
If we speak about rng impact during first few days - there is a RNG of forager quests, RNG of combat moves gained and RNG of q nodes found. And they have much bigger impact, with big chance of getting fucked up totally with bad RNG on first two - instead of losing few % of stats for one day. In fact FEP rng have very small impact and only for a few first days, it decreases exponentially later and in fact have almost zero impact in the game mechanics. But you're bursting with rage every time when some bad FEP RNG happened and think than RNG don't like you. In fact you're just don't see good RNG rolls - just because good RNG is "normal" in your brain, even if you got 1/1 000 000 good roll row.

Speaking about few "good recipes" and such things. Problem isn't in the recipes. Problem is in stats mechanics, because you're wanna raise really high and asap just 3 of them. And with any mechanics, any numbers in the FEP tables you'll pick just a few best recipes from thousands of available combinations, call them "good". All another, even if they'll give you 5% less stats you'll call "shit". And in fact there always will be only one question - availability of best food for easy grind/botting. Everything else just don't matter.
I agree with Snail - magic recipes with huge impact shouldn't exist, because it's just bad design. But if you do some math, clear your brain from emotions - there is nothing bad in FEP RNG.
FEP RNG is a very good mechanic for game. Because it have in fact almost zero impact and generate tonns of emotions at the same time. And without negative emotions you'll get no positive. This is how it works. Like theoretical possibility of siege and PVP death raise price of gains multiple times even if in fact it's almost never happens.
Podli

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:25 pm

Nobody gives a shit about foods having an RNG chance to not give you the FEP you want, retard.

An RNG machine deciding which foods will be good, and therefore what materials people will spend the majority of their playtime gathering/the rate at which stats are gained is (obviously) bad.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Dawidio123 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:37 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:An RNG machine is deciding which foods will be good, and therefore what materials people will spend the majority of their playtime gathering/the rate at which stats are gained is (obviously) bad.

To add to this, i think some recipes just haven't been adjusted to quality changes of the last worlds. Back in W10 you could get 1000s of stats by just eating stuff from ovens (good ol pumpkin pies and honeybuns) since their quality scaled well and they were cheap.

This world i don't think any of us made ANYTHING in the ovens (We didn't even have a windmill), since the hunger on those foods sucks (meatpie is 5% compared to autumn steak 3%, etc.), and they don't give a good amount of fep compared to stuff like autumn steaks, meat-in-jelly or smoked sausage (not to mention cheese) that scale better ql wise. I'm actually pretty sure most crop based foods kinda sucked since we had an abundance of them and nobody was using them up, all i recall using were pumpkins for them pumpkin stews since strength was just a bitch to get and they weren't even that good.

Also having cacha/troll/pig/bear (And irc orca was actually pretty good for agi on crackling cutlets) being the only kinds of meat that are actually useable past a certain point kinda sucks, iirc best thing you could use mammoth for were kebabs for variety fep which is just funny.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Dawidio123

Postby Podli » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:24 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Nobody gives a shit about foods having an RNG chance to not give you the FEP you want, retard.

The issue is which kinds of food are good are not based on a human designing something to be fun, and when the RNG lever is pulled it often spits out dumb shit that makes degenerate/unfun gameplay meta. Nobody wants to farm pelicans all day

Good design - bigger gains need bigger pain.
If pelicans farm provide you 30% more stats - it's a bad numbers in FEP tables. If pelican farm provide 3% more stats - you just decide. If you think than 3% gains is enough for eating shit all day - this is your choice. Yes, many people will eat shit all day for 1%. And in fact - doing the same thing over and over transform anything in eating shit, so there is no any good design at all.

Only three stats matters in your "goal-driven" gameplay. Maximizing stats raising for now in min/max game is simple. Find best recipes available - there is not a lot of them, - do stupid grind of pelicans/bears/any other top shit outside of walls and/or bot another shit inside. Repeat. Have more time - add second-third-etc best recipes for stats and go on. There is some changes of best recipes set during different world stages because of food availability and q changes.
So what you're suggesting:
Satiation removal = removing second-third-etc type of food eaten to be effective. Wanna be more effective in stats - just grind more of the same thing with best FEP/hunger ratio available. Is someone told something about pelicans farm all day, or i'm wrong?
Different hunger meter on different stats = more stupid grind of one stupid thing. Because if you can effectively gain 100 stats today because current numbers limitation, and eat something with 90% good stats and 10% shit - different hunger meters on different stats transform this towards bad side like 80/20. But you're limited now not on amount of eaten pieces of food, but on amount of good stats gained with this food. So, your limit is not gained 100 stats, but 100 good stats. With bigger chance of bad stats gaining. That means more food per day -> more grind per day to be effective. This is what you want?
Hunger meters is changing with stats gains only, food hunger stat is no more. Amount of gained stats depends on current stats, pure eaten FEP points per day and table quality. Nothing else matters. Wanna more stats - add more bots grinding inside, eat hundreds of shelves every day and be happy with this "funny", but effective gameplay. By eating 2 times more FEP you'll not get 2 times more stats because of hunger. But you'll still get more, and there is no other way than increasing of pure FEP eaten. Welcome back to first worlds before hunger and satiation. Wanna more stats - bot as hard as you can inside. This is is only one effective way.

Any changes in FEP table just change best recipes sets at some world stages, which results changes in what you have to grind today and how many to be effective. And difference in stats between dieharder and casual.

There is three possible designs with current stats mechanics.
1. Best possible FEP gain eats some very limited amount of your time each week. In fact this means - everyone have +- same stats, nothing can be changed.
2. Wanna significantly better stats - just grind more and more, hunting some meta shit. We're there now.
3. Good design there is bigger gains need bigger pain. With pain growing WAY faster than gains. In this case everyone can chose personal comfortable place where further gains dont' cost such pain. And if difference in stats between someone grinding FEP 5 hours/day and 5 hours/week is something like 5% - it's just fine. Stupid grind don't give huge advantage, you can compensate such stat difference by another ways - gear, skill or just more people. But it's still advantage, so you can spend your time in the game doing this if you want - complete removal of such possibility is just bad. Because such grind it's just something you can do when there is nothing "have to do" left.
There shouldn't be any "magic" receipes, providing you something like 20-40% more stats if you spend every day hunting some shit. Because possibility of such advantage forces people like you doing stupid grind like this. And there anyways will be some people, grinding 1% of stat advantages for x5 grinding time spent.
Magic receipes or magic components like very rare meat still can exist, but only if they can provide some fixed, small amount of FEP per day for free or almost free. Like pepper now, but without bad side-effects like wounds from pepper. Got rare catch - got some value, but grinding such things is pointless.
Podli

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:31 am

shut up retard
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Podli » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:31 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:shut up retard

:mrgreen:
Podli

Postby Lukash4k1 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:32 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:shut up retard

+1 my eyes bleeding
Lukash4k1