Base stat + Equipment + Buffs

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Base stat + Equipment + Buffs

Postby vatas » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:06 pm

Would imply that you could triple, rather tan double, characters base stat. However A) Buffs would presumably be harder to acquire than Equipment bonuses B) one of the primary aims of this changes was originally to curb stuff like being able to make a miner out of a fresh character by equipping it with Strength gear (you would now be, at least theoretically, able to reach 30 instead of 20 STR.)

"Buffs" would include primarily Credos, which interfere with normal character progression when they give flat stat bonus and confuse newbies. Other stuff would mainly include Wounds and Alcohol/Narcotic effects.

Least invasive way to implement this would actually be during a reset, since lot of people have had to raise, for example. their Masonry while bearing the burden of the bonus amount gained from Quarryman and Miner.

Going "no refunds" would still produce beneficial effects to these people: they still have same amount of Masonry as before the hypothetical patch, but now the cost of raising masonry is also lower.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: Base stat + Equipment + Buffs

Postby Sevenless » Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:41 pm

I don't think we need even more stat bloat, it's already pretty nuts.

If anything I want credo effects to be buffs instead of baseline bonuses.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby vatas » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:42 am

Sevenless wrote:I don't think we need even more stat bloat, it's already pretty nuts.

As long as you don't go overboard with the amount of buffs you introduce (and make them strong but tedious to acquire), this shouldn't be a problem.

Sevenless wrote:If anything I want credo effects to be buffs instead of baseline bonuses.

Admittedly, a far more elegant simple solution to the root issue.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby vatas » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:25 pm

Pros:
1) Less confusion when a character gains/loses Credo bonus to Attribute/Ability.
2) No need to minmax when exactly a character gains the Credo Bonus (raise Farming before Farmer finisher, delay Forager until you raise non-PER stats.)

Cons:
1) if your base stat is low enough, you don't gain full Credo buff (imho not too unreasonable, you'd need to raise said stats anyway with current system.)
2) Hypothetically, developers have to be bit more careful whenever adding buffs, otherwise they might create a situation where the "ability to tolerate buff tedium" -becomes one of the deciding factors of faction fights.

I have to admit that one of my least favourite parts about World of Warcraft Classic is the need to stack 10 consumables and 5 worldbuffs to raid "optimally." However if enough stuff like that added into Haven would probably be a problem even with the current system - I assume factionbois can easily get into a situation where (without excessively multigilded equipment) you can't double your base STR/AGI/UA/Melee = same incentive to do buff tedium if it was an option.

vatas

Return to Critique & Ideas