Rawhide is OP

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Rawhide is OP

Postby Kamekono » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:45 am

Any new player will assume that being on a horse should make going around safer, since you can easily outrun any attacker on foot. Too bad it doesn't work like that, thanks to its super cheap price, huge range, and automatic trigger on certain clients. You literally can't run away as you get stuck as soon as the enemy is spotted (and therefore you're spotted too).

FIX:
1. Rawhide needs to have a much shorter range. Would have to be large enough to still make it useful in pvp, but smaller than it is now to allow players to run away (assuming the enemy is not on a horse as well) if they spot someone.
2. It must cost a lot more. Rather than being something you spam every single time there's someone on a horse, it should be something you decide to use to turn a situation in your favour. Right now it's cheaper than Kindle!
3. To offset the range nerf and increased cost, Rawhide should also last much longer.
Kamekono

Re: Rawhide is OP

Postby Reiber » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:02 am

its either this , or you getting run in the ground by people with better horses than you,

there was pvp with horses, it resulted in everybody not on an horse dying , and everybody on horses dying to the koreans who had better horses,
same thing as had happened when snek quality made you faster,

rawhide was invented because pretty much everybody agreed that this was dumb,

and the cost is so low and the range so high , because everyone could already figure out that you could still abuse the shit out of horses in combat otherwhise , so they basically killed horses in any kind of pvp situation, (they are still sometimes used to cut of somebodys way. so mission not even acomplished

rawhide range is still just barely below vision, so if you are on an horse, and see an player, you instantly break vision, and ride away, or you dismount and run, seeing an player on an horse on the other side, especially one who stays in vision range is an pretty save way to determine they are probbably not here to kill you,
Reiber

Postby Audiosmurf » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:11 am

It could have like half the range and serve the same purpose, it would be fine probably.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby fallout » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:08 am

I've been the subject of two ganks. Both times I walked off into the sunset. The second time on horse back even, though the wild horse I had roped did a little dance. as I left.

It is entirely possible to just leave before being the subject of rawhide. It's not max render distance. That's misinformation. They can be visible on your screen and you won't get kicked off your wild horse. You're letting yourself get too close...
fallout

Postby vatas » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:40 am

Instead of hard CC, make it so that horses become unable to go above their 1st or 2nd speed, indicated by new pose that looks like the horse in this Europa Universalis 4 UI element:
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby sMartins » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:16 am

Swedes make good games ...
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:23 am

reason#9982 the hermits deserve it
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Aerysette » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:02 pm

I tamed a couple horses and only use them in my base because of raw hide. A horse is supposed to be used for mobility, I mean it literally has zero other purpose at all. It moves places faster and pulls things faster.

Raw hide is very, very OP especially with the automatic triggers from custom clients. Why couldn't the devs do something similar to what they did to boats? Boats used to go way faster apparently but now the quality doesn't effect speed anymore. Horses could get the same treatment OR combat against another player isn't possible while mounted at all. OR the mount takes damage in the fight first because it's a big ass animal giving someone an advantage and will rear the rider off and become lame afterwards. IDK. Anything but raw hide being what it is right now. There are other ways to tackle this that wouldn't make horses such a massive liability for everyone.

I already have to keep bunny slippers on anytime I am not in my base because I'd get smoked without them by PVP players. I understand that speed is king. This just wasn't a fair fix to the problem that only PVP players exploited. I wanted horses to keep myself safe from gankers or to speed up the hunting/gathering process while I mind my own business out there but it's a massive risk to do so when a person could stun me automatically the moment I notice them on the map.
Aerysette

Postby Sevenless » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:20 pm

Haven's pvp system is almost entirely tied to stats and movement. Due to equalization the stats component is pretty achievable for anyone with a solid understanding of the game. Which leaves movement as the only real differentiating element in pvp. It's weird, but haven's pvp is very much "strategic jogging". Someone with the best equipment in the world and good stats will still eat grass in any group engagement if they can't properly keep distance from the enemies.

Horses completely violate that, rawhide needs to be extremely strong because if it wasn't haven pvp would get completely wiped out skill wise due to horses. Case in point: Winter screws it up due to offering new movement options and is a major part of why PvPers detest it.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Kamekono » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:02 pm

I'm not sure how to balance it for pvp, but just not touching it again because before it was bad for it sounds like lazy design.

If the issue is speed, the fix is easy: do like with boats. Horses don't get faster, they just recover faster (maybe?) or gain more health or something.

As for Rawhide range, if it's not max render distance, it's very close to it. Too close. There's no good reason for it to have such a large range, other than making it close to impossible for people to escape, thanks to scripts completely removing reaction time and constant attention requirements.

As someone mentioned above, how about making it that you can't attack players while on a horse? wouldn't that fix the issue of people with stronger horses being too op?

It would be nice for once to see pvp players work together with hermits to come to a mutual beneficial solution, rather than just shutting down any idea that makes it any harder to bully new players into quitting.
Kamekono

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas