Underground questgivers

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Underground questgivers

Postby squeezy102 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:34 pm

I think I've seen this mentioned once or twice, but I've only just experienced it personally starting the past couple of days.

When doing the Miner credo, some of the quests involve underground quest givers.

This is essentially a dead end in every scenario, and furthermore you don't know the questgiver is underground until you're basically right on top of it.

I think a few things need to change.

1.) Ideally this just goes away all together. Nobody is spending their metal, their stamina, their energy, their food to mine 1000+ meters to find a questgiver. I'm happy to be corrected, but I just don't see anyone justifying this. Ever. Right now, this might as well just say "Skip this quest."

2.) If they must remain in the game, the icon on the map should be the one that appears when you're close to them right off of the bat. Don't show me a tree icon, make me go chase it down, only for the icon to change to a stone when I'm 30 meters away from it. Its a bait and switch and it feels real, real bad.

In their current state, this quest line just feels awful and basically just serves as an impediment to the completion of the credo.
squeezy102

Re: Underground questgivers

Postby Reiber » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:19 pm

you should be able to determine wich level an questgiver is on on every minehole, as it only shows you questgivers on their layer and above ground,
also, questgivers can only spawn on existing rocks, meaning there is always an cave system wich they are in,

this makes it exeptionally easy to get questgivers on lvl1,
and rewards you with an cool cave if you tunnel to them on deeper levels.

its not the worst part about credo questing, might need better ui/communication, but ultimately those are no autoskipp quests unless an granith wall just around there cave decides to scratch the limits of hardness on their mine level for no reason at all
Reiber

Postby laurawoods » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:15 am

I completely agree with your points regarding the underground quest givers in the Miner credo. I hope the developers consider these concerns and make the necessary changes to enhance the overall enjoyment of the game.
laurawoods

Postby Dawidio123 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:43 pm

Having an indicator at which level the questgiver is would be great, i don't think their removal is really necessary tho, it's a miner credo -> you gotta mine to them.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Barbamaus » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:20 pm

This is a good example of hidden knowledge.
The game won't tell you, but as Reiber mentioned there's a way to know what level the NPC is on, as long as you have access to lower levels.

The icon change wouldn't help too much, since there's boulder NPCs on the surface as well. But a more straightforward way to know if the NPC is underground would be nice. Maybe it could say it on the quest itself, like "Go greet Nurgil in their 2nd level caves" or something
Barbamaus

Return to Critique & Ideas