Some way to set affinity for stockpiles

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Some way to set affinity for stockpiles

Postby squeezy102 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:35 pm

I'd like to see some way to set affinity for stockpiles, especially general catch-all categories like bones, leaves, bark, these sorts of things that have underlying subcategories, or several items that fall into the same category.

The problem I'm trying to alleviate with this is things like finebone going into regular bone piles, intestines going into entrail piles, salad greens going into leaf piles, rawhide going into dried hide piles.

I'm not exactly sure of how it could be implemented, but my idea would be that for any item stockpile that fits this description, there might be some checkboxes that show up when you right click the pile and see its quantity. By default these would all be checked, but a player could selectively uncheck certain things to make sure only one type of item enters the stockpile from the broader category.

So procedurally, first a player would lay down a stockpile of bones. Then, they'd walk up and right click that stockpile, and it would show the quantity inside "34" or whatever. Within that same window, there might be checkboxes that say "bones, finebones" and you could uncheck the finebone box, and now whenever you put new bones into that stockpile, the finebone won't go in.

I know this wouldn't cover all use cases, and things like sorting different wood blocks, sorting different hides, sorting different flowers still probably wouldn't be as intuitive as we'd like - but I think it would at least relieve some of the headache that comes from being an OCD sorter-organizer type player.

The situations where I find the most frustration with this in-game, in particular, is with entrails + intestines, raw hide + dry hide, dirt + worms, feathers + fine feathers, and bones + fine bones. So if this gets picked up for consideration by Jorb, those are the biggest offenders. (at least to me)
squeezy102

Return to Critique & Ideas