Intermediate Gear

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Intermediate Gear

Postby r0ck4ev3r » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:36 pm

There are a hand full of voids in the progression of gear. (I'm sure there are more off my radar i've missed)
    · There is a gap in the vest options. It is: {Badger, ???, Whaler.}
    · As well as armored pants are lacking. {Leather, Bone, ???, Steel.}
    · Axes as lacking a sub B12 option, I'd love to see a Halberd
    · Spears near some love, a 2h pike could help that weapon class and/or 1h javelin that fits in quivers.
"Don't just have an idea- have all of them." ~ Niv-Mizzet
r0ck4ev3r

Re: Intermediate Gear

Postby Harunobu » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:32 am

I think this all ties in with the combat system vision of the devs. And it seems they don't really have one. It seems all the weapon options were mostly lore/setting/flavour-motivated.
And it seems that the pvp developed into a game of running away/chasing, where most of the skill is based on drinking timings and before the current patch, clicking rabbits/frogs/critters or speed boosts to catch up.

For a good pvp system, you need some type of rock-paper-scissors dynamic. Then you need some way to decide what skill to test during combat. I think the moves/opening system is actually pretty neat. But it seems there is no feedback cycle between the moves system and the dexterity/decision making aspect of playing a game.

Then there's always the discussion about how strong having one more guy should be. Or if better stats/abilities scale off hard. Or if one very high level player should be able to kill many many lower skilled players.

I don't actually think the game needs a pvp system that tests a lot of skill. The fun could come from organizing everything around a fight. It could be as simple as just showing up and seeing who spams the right moves the best. And you'd want to avoid very wonky gameplay that maybe tests a lot of skill like niche unintentional drinking&running mechanics. Partially assisted by custom clients not publicly available.

So when adding weapons, you could be as simple as saying there are 3 times of melee weapons, blunt slow weapons, fast piercing weapons and medium slashing weapons. And then you add 2 or 3 or 4 tiers of each. Then you do the same for armor.
So it could be as simply as having a stone, copper, iron, and steel weapon of each type.

But the devs decided to go flavour-based. Which in one aspect is good because it makes the game more original. There isn't a bunch of weapons that just every RPG has.

I saw the dev stream and the devs said that PvP factions send them videos with feedback on the combat, but that the devs had no idea what was going on based on how it looked. I don't think the devs do any actual pvp. So it seems a challenge to get this part of the game right. Then the devs gave feedback on the random speed boosts that pop up on the map, after the removal of the bunny slippers/forager credo speed boosts, and they didn't want to disable those from pvp as otherwise they could just be removed from the game entirely. If PvP gets decided by if one side runs randomly into a speed boost, something is wrong with the way pvp works.

I wonder if having weaker fast-moving characters and slower more armored faster characters could give a good dynamic in team vs team pvp When one side decides to run their heavy infantry away, the faster-moving fighters of both sides can still engage into battles. And the slow moving players could stop retreating and do damage to the fast-moving low armored chasers. It removes the speed boost and drinking based running & chasing game and it replaces it with actual fighting and positioning.
Harunobu

poopy pants

Postby whorunooby » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:02 am

whorunooby

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:46 am

r0ck4ev3r wrote:· There is a gap in the vest options. It is: {Badger, ???, Whaler.}

https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Vapntreyiu
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby r0ck4ev3r » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:31 am

Nightdawg wrote:
r0ck4ev3r wrote:· There is a gap in the vest options. It is: {Badger, ???, Whaler.}

https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Vapntreyiu

Vests are gild-albe equip on 3L & 3R, and have more deflection then absorption; Vapntreyiu could fit the L3 item gap, but it is not a vest.
"Don't just have an idea- have all of them." ~ Niv-Mizzet
r0ck4ev3r

Return to Critique & Ideas