Let's talk about removal of mov speed bonus from critters

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Let's talk about removal of mov speed bonus from critter

Postby Barbamaus » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:54 pm

noindyfikator wrote:1. When there was movement speed bonus from critters escaping from a group of gangers was possible. I can say it was fairly easy for even intermediate player.

We've clearly had very different experiences. I don't know if you're better than most players I know, or if all the people I play with suck, but critters never saved anyone I know from getting KOed when ganked by multiple people. It's so easy for the attackers to flank and outmanuver you.
Personally I'm happy it was removed, and hope it never comes back.

That being said, let's focus on what's this thread is about.
It seems to me you're looking for a way to make it easier to run away from a fight.
First of all, there won't be a solution that fits both "hermit vs attacker" and "pvp group vs pvp group".

Escaping is directly linked to movement speed. The faster you are, the more chances you have to escape.
So I see two possible ways to do this:

1. Make it equipment dependant.
The equipment you're wearing and carrying slows you through a weight system. So someone in full armor will run slower than someone wearing normal clothing. And so on... Apply this only to 3rd and 4th speed. This would need to take into account what you're carrying, not just wearing, to avoid equip quickswap systems benefiting custom clients. It could be limited to equipment and tools, or it could extend to all items (but do we really care if you're carrying stones or flowers?). This would make it easier for a hermit to run away, but in real fights it would balance things out a bit, since everyone would be using armor and weapons (until a new naked fight meta becomes a thing).

2. Make horses useful again. It just makes sense that if you are on a horse you should be able to run away. Currently you can't, due to Raw Hide (sure, there's a small gap between raw hide range and sight range, but way too small). Hard to say what the consequences would be. Horse speed should be equal for all horses, to avoid the issue we had with boats. And maybe dismounting should become a timed action, rather than instant... I'm sure there's a lot to consider for this, but it would make it easier for anyone on a horse to outrun someone on foot, even if they got slightly closer than your vision range.
Barbamaus

Postby Luno » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:13 pm

Barbamaus wrote:
noindyfikator wrote:1. When there was movement speed bonus from critters escaping from a group of gangers was possible. I can say it was fairly easy for even intermediate player.

We've clearly had very different experiences. I don't know if you're better than most players I know, or if all the people I play with suck, but critters never saved anyone I know from getting KOed when ganked by multiple people. It's so easy for the attackers to flank and outmanuver you.

It seems to me you're looking for a way to make it easier to run away from a fight.
First of all, there won't be a solution that fits both "hermit vs attacker" and "pvp group vs pvp group".

Escaping is directly linked to movement speed. The faster you are, the more chances you have to escape.

The equipment you're wearing and carrying slows you through a weight system. So someone in full armor will run slower than someone wearing normal clothing. And so on... Apply this only to 3rd and 4th speed. This would need to take into account what you're carrying, not just wearing, to avoid equip quickswap systems benefiting custom clients. It could be limited to equipment and tools, or it could extend to all items (but do we really care if you're carrying stones or flowers?). This would make it easier for a hermit to run away, but in real fights it would balance things out a bit, since everyone would be using armor and weapons (until a new naked fight meta becomes a thing).

2. Make horses useful again. It just makes sense that if you are on a horse you should be able to run away. Currently you can't, due to Raw Hide (sure, there's a small gap between raw hide range and sight range, but way too small). Hard to say what the consequences would be. Horse speed should be equal for all horses, to avoid the issue we had with boats. And maybe dismounting should become a timed action, rather than instant... I'm sure there's a lot to consider for this, but it would make it easier for anyone on a horse to outrun someone on foot, even if they got slightly closer than your vision range.

No way you are not trolling. I refuse to believe you are being serious.
Luno

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:18 pm

Barbamaus wrote:

are u drunk?
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby DonVelD » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:21 pm

Barbamaus wrote:We've clearly had very different experiences. I don't know if you're better than most players I know, or if all the people I play with suck, but critters never saved anyone I know from getting KOed when ganked by multiple people. It's so easy for the attackers to flank and outmanuver you.

Thats a skill issue on your part, i got surrounded from every side by 8 players from the group the OP is from and i swiftly got away in like 10 seconds without getting hit & chased a critter which made them give up. Ten times in a row 'cause i was fooling around. Of course it'll never save you if you don't use it or fail to use it.
Barbamaus wrote:1. Make it equipment dependant.

I'll wear nothing but a b12 and will chase you down in your bronze plate & fuck you up. No, you still won't deal any damage to me. That idea won't change anything.
Barbamaus wrote:2. Make horses useful again. It just makes sense that if you are on a horse you should be able to run away. Currently you can't, due to Raw Hide (sure, there's a small gap between raw hide range and sight range, but way too small). Hard to say what the consequences would be. Horse speed should be equal for all horses, to avoid the issue we had with boats. And maybe dismounting should become a timed action, rather than instant... I'm sure there's a lot to consider for this, but it would make it easier for anyone on a horse to outrun someone on foot, even if they got slightly closer than your vision range.

I'll use 20k of exp for pony power just to kill you, what's the difference?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby DonVelD » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:22 pm

ALTHOUGH mandatory: No keep the change it its perfect the way it is right now.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Halbertz » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:26 pm

Barbamaus wrote:1. Make it equipment dependant.

I've already imagined this experience in my head. Oh no, wait, it's Warband arena map, where naked people on horses pwning noobs.
No idea what you meant tho. Your first suggestion makes no sense after second one.
Halbertz

Postby Harunobu » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:27 pm

DonVelD wrote:Thats a skill issue on your part, i got surrounded from every side by 8 players from the group the OP is from and i swiftly got away in like 10 seconds

Yes, it is primarily a skill issue. I got walled in by 21 players from your group, and managed to escape within 6 seconds. After killing at least half of them. And I managed to do this like 34 times in a row.
Harunobu

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:46 pm

Barbamaus wrote:Garbage

Sprucecaps OUT
DDDsDD999

Postby terechgracz » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:28 pm

If you want chasers to be slower then maybe Devs should just make them slower? No reason to add obscure bandaids like critter chasing.
terechgracz

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:32 pm

imagine that, coordinated ganks are deadly now that brodgarbois screeched until kritterspeed got removed lmao
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas