Let's talk about removal of mov speed bonus from critters

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Let's talk about removal of mov speed bonus from critters

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:56 am

Hi. I really hope responses in the topic will be meaningful so Jorbtar can make changes before next world.

I fully understand that movement speed from critters was massive advantage for people with custom clients (easier click, area click, auto click etc.) but..

1. When there was movement speed bonus from critters escaping from a group of gangers was possible. I can say it was fairly easy for even intermediate player.

There were many topics on the forum complain about necessarily to bring hectoliters of water to a fight.
Now we need to bring even more because the only way to escape from chase when nobody can pick you up with snekkja or boat is to have more water and food.
We are highly depended on luck (sometimes speedbuffs spawn in front of the player, sometimes they spawn in totally different direction or not spawn at all).

I think and I hope many of you will agree with me that we need a new mechanic to fill the gap. I hope we can figure something out that players on default client will be able to escape gank as good as players with custom clients.

2. I already miss my friends screaming on voice - "rabbit rabbit, chicken chicken". That was very important part of PvP
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Re: Let's talk about removal of mov speed bonus from critter

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:05 am

> brodgar screeches it's too easy to escape in a meta where brodgarbois are already struggling to escape
> kritter bonus gets removed
> literally every PVP group says it's a bad idea and will lead to super one sided fights / degenerate ganks
> brodger gets in one (1) fight away from their safepali and > half their group gets chased down, literally zero of the people directly being chased get away
> brodgarboi wants kritters back

lol, lmao
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Harunobu » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:22 am

This isn't a pvp game. The fact that the only pvp mechanic was chasing, and that was dominated by drinking water or chasing critters show it.

Just accept the truth. And ask the devs for a pvp rework.

Or think philosophically about at what point a victim should be able to flee successfully. And just make it so they can. And then think about when they should not be able to flee successfully.

For example, when you go into pvp mode, you just move slower. But to offset this, you get some abilities that can stun or slow down your target. A very crude example to highlight what could be possible. You know, like every game has done since Everquest and Ultima Online. This is a solved problem.

Once pvp has more than one mechanic going for it, the running and stamina game will be less important.
Harunobu

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:42 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:brodgarboi wants kritters back

I think Jorbtar won't readd it but more importantly - there is nice opportunity to figure out better mechanic
W11 - The Friend Zone
W13 - Monke
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:03 am

It's okay, it might not feel like it right now but you actually probably are a lot safer now. I notice a lot of my villagers coincidentally stopped logging in around the time it was changed :lol:
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby noindyfikator » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:07 am

Harunobu wrote:But to offset this, you get some abilities that can stun or slow down your target.

It's a really bad idea. A few years ago I also used to think haven needs cc, but changed my mind as I became more competent
W11 - The Friend Zone
W13 - Monke
noindyfikator

Postby Harunobu » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:55 am

It is not even debatable. This is how every game works. You can't create pvp play without that. There's a reason why HnH pvp is a chasefest with water drinking and trying to find some speed bonus.
Harunobu

Postby Massa » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:56 am

there was something amazing about seeing steel boots and knowing that person was free
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Halbertz » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:31 pm

Harunobu wrote:This isn't a pvp game.

I totally agree! Haven and Hearth is the game where you bring a hat as a gift to the first person you meet and proceed to perish after.
ask the devs for a pvp rework

It will be in two weeks right after OCO patch!
Halbertz

Postby vatas » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:11 pm

My main problem with critter speed bonus was its unintuitive nature, further adding to the already high skill floor for PvP.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas