User created content through scripting

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

User created content through scripting

Postby terechgracz » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 am

On the Q&A page it says developers are happy to allow us to modify clients as we wish. It's obvious that this means that devs don't focus their time on developing client and want users to develop it themselves. I think that's okay to be this way, MMOs are known for shitty UI and even giant like WoW had same problem. They released API that allowed to change client with simple addons. There are multiple advantages compared to just providing source code:
  • Every addon maker shares common API so less conflicts between developers.
  • Client can have multiple addons at the time, from heavy to small.
  • Addons can be modular, for example one addon can just change inventories to allow sorting/filtering/etc and other is just for farming automation.
  • Everyone can tailor their experience as they wish unlike now - your experience is tailored by client makers.
  • With addons you can have in-game addon marketplace so everyone can have nice client without visiting forum.
  • Addons would be better quality than clients, by their modular nature it would allow addon makers to focus on what they're most interested in, unlike now developers must manage entire client.
I suggest implementing such API with easy languages like groovy/python/lua.
Last edited by terechgracz on Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terechgracz

Re: User created content through scripting

Postby jorb » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:37 am

Shifting the client modding toward some sort of plugin paradigm could be a good idea! Using e.g. jython to provide a python interpreter to the client feels pretty weird, tho, when java has good support for runtime extensions as it is, but that could perhaps be optional in and of itself.

Boundless possibilities.

:thinking:
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Kaios » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:44 pm

jorb wrote:Shifting the client modding toward some sort of plugin paradigm could be a good idea! Using e.g. jython to provide a python interpreter to the client feels pretty weird, tho, when java has good support for runtime extensions as it is, but that could perhaps be optional in and of itself.

Boundless possibilities.

bro are you guys seriously embracing all the botting crap now? or are you being sarcastic
Kaios

Postby Dawidio123 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:43 pm

Kaios wrote:
jorb wrote:Shifting the client modding toward some sort of plugin paradigm could be a good idea! Using e.g. jython to provide a python interpreter to the client feels pretty weird, tho, when java has good support for runtime extensions as it is, but that could perhaps be optional in and of itself.

Boundless possibilities.

bro are you guys seriously embracing all the botting crap now? or are you being sarcastic

Tbh botting are a part of the game that unless punished (it won't be and perhaps shouldn't be) are here to stay. And it'd be much more likely someone shares an addon/plugin with you that has a single function rather than their whole client.
Overall embracing it is better than leaving it as it is, as in encouraged by the game mechanics but not really supported other than the 3-4 public clients there are (which lack heavily in features).

Also the plugins don't imply solely bots (which should be included but i digress), they could allow people to modify the UI (which by default is kinda bad) and so on.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby pawnchito » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:18 pm

jorbtar should make automated versions or upgraded clients /plug ins for a charge. rather pay devs directly for on par client than play with a neutered product or have to go to a third party for some simple features.
pawnchito

Postby SlicingTheMoon » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:49 pm

Kaios wrote:

Boundless possibilities.

My take on it is, the larger factions will be botting anyway, so by making it more available for everyone will minimize the gap and there would be more equality.
I use the bots I have access to, my project are too big to click my way through it.
Always working on intelligent Village Designs.
SlicingTheMoon

Postby SiO2 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:19 am

terechgracz wrote:I suggest implementing such API with easy languages like groovy/python/lua.

PHP, VBS or JS. I cant think of anything more cursed then this. :lol:
Bronies for life /)
SiO2

Return to Critique & Ideas