Farm animals need improvement

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Farm animals need improvement

Postby Dawidio123 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:46 pm

Barbamaus wrote:
tadeo wrote:But we have one problem croops quality will not catch up with this new +5 - +15 q especially with this new shit meachanic of wild plants. On previous world in this stage of world turnip has +- 150q or better and now it is like max 90q and top croop exluding grains bcs htable is like 100 q around.

And that's ok. I'd much rather know that feed is what's capping my animal quality, rather than crazy long timers. This would create an incentive to do your best to get higher quality fodder (which u can also make from other stuff btw). Also would likely create a market for high q fodder, which right now is something nobody would ever buy.

Farmers would be pushed to take full advantage of crop timers, and hunters would still be useful to make high q fodder as well especially in the beginning, just like they are for mulch.

The numbers can be adjusted (+5 +15 might be too fast, or not), but the idea is valid imo.

Not sure why you excluded grains from your example, since straw is decent fodder, but even assuming q100 is the top crop right now (which is not, it's higher), I doubt anyone is even close to q100 animals. And that's after 3 months of game, where q100 hide and bones are trash at this point.

Honestly as far as I understand the biggest change would be that you always get better animals, never worse. The idea that sevenless proposes stems from the high level of micro that proper herding requires right now, and IT'S NEEDED to actually improve your animals if the range is -5,+10. Now if the range is 0,+15 (or even 0, +10 would be great), you can only go up and people who don't want to spend hours/bot herding will still improve their animals overtime, while people who tryhard will be able to outpace the low-effort herders by quite a bit (as it should be).

Idk about having hunters fill food throughs tho, it's honestly not a fun activity and i think swill should always mostly come from farming, having to hunt tons of 300+ mammoths just to get your animals better food seems like something that would get tedious VERY quickly, perhaps farming should also be rebalanced so you don't have to replant everything 3 times a day to get the perfect roll in order to keep up, instead of -5,+5 make it 0,+5.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Barbamaus » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:49 pm

Dawidio123 wrote:
Barbamaus wrote:
tadeo wrote:But we have one problem croops quality will not catch up with this new +5 - +15 q especially with this new shit meachanic of wild plants. On previous world in this stage of world turnip has +- 150q or better and now it is like max 90q and top croop exluding grains bcs htable is like 100 q around.

And that's ok. I'd much rather know that feed is what's capping my animal quality, rather than crazy long timers. This would create an incentive to do your best to get higher quality fodder (which u can also make from other stuff btw). Also would likely create a market for high q fodder, which right now is something nobody would ever buy.

Farmers would be pushed to take full advantage of crop timers, and hunters would still be useful to make high q fodder as well especially in the beginning, just like they are for mulch.

The numbers can be adjusted (+5 +15 might be too fast, or not), but the idea is valid imo.

Not sure why you excluded grains from your example, since straw is decent fodder, but even assuming q100 is the top crop right now (which is not, it's higher), I doubt anyone is even close to q100 animals. And that's after 3 months of game, where q100 hide and bones are trash at this point.

Honestly as far as I understand the biggest change would be that you always get better animals, never worse. The idea that sevenless proposes stems from the high level of micro that proper herding requires right now, and IT'S NEEDED to actually improve your animals if the range is -5,+10. Now if the range is 0,+15 (or even 0, +10 would be great), you can only go up and people who don't want to spend hours/bot herding will still improve their animals overtime, while people who tryhard will be able to outpace the low-effort herders by quite a bit (as it should be).

Idk about having hunters fill food throughs tho, it's honestly not a fun activity and i think swill should always mostly come from farming, having to hunt tons of 300+ mammoths just to get your animals better food seems like something that would get tedious VERY quickly, perhaps farming should also be rebalanced so you don't have to replant everything 3 times a day to get the perfect roll in order to keep up, instead of -5,+5 make it 0,+5.

I agree fodder should come from crops (mulch as well IMO), but as long as animal parts can become fodder they'll always be the highest quality around (or at least for the first few months).
We'd need to remove meat and such as an option for fodder, or make meat and crops count as different quality (eg. meat count as half, or crops count more). Right now the only difference I believe is quantity, which isn't really enough to matter.

Totally agree on the 3 times / day crop thing. If they really want to make crops more interesting or challenging, I'd rather have crop rotations or seasonality rather than just needing to plant every 8 hours for a better roll.
Barbamaus

Postby jock » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:44 pm

Domestic animals are already the best animals. just slow.
jock

Postby grumgrumganoe » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:16 am

just farm the pumpkins bro

this is certainly not a game for bots
grumgrumganoe

Postby Oldimaru » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:57 pm

grumgrumganoe wrote:just farm the pumpkins bro

this is certainly not a game for bots

Isnt it?
Oldimaru

Postby Dawidio123 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:27 pm

jock wrote:Domestic animals are already the best animals. just slow.

They would be if you weren't able to get 900ql seals and mosses through questing. Right now the only reason for them is cheese and some recipes that are improved by using their meat (way less recipes compared to last world).
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Barbamaus » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:38 pm

That's the problem, they are way too slow. Their quality should be capped by fodder and tools. Right now you can feed them with scrap crops, and use a two month old axe to butcher them, without risking any cap.

If milk is all they are really good for, then just remove the reproduction needs and make them grow in quality over time. Leave reproduction as a mean to get more, rather than a tedious game to try to get better ones at painstakingly slow pace.
Barbamaus

Postby jock » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 am

Dawidio123 wrote:

They would be if you weren't able to get 900ql seals and mosses through questing. Right now the only reason for them is cheese and some recipes that are improved by using their meat (way less recipes compared to last world).

900ql seels are nice but animals are better, not even close to the utility animals have.
jock

Postby Oldimaru » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:46 am

jock wrote:
Dawidio123 wrote:

900ql seels are nice but animals are better, not even close to the utility animals have.

not for bones=(
Oldimaru

Postby Mr_Bober » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:01 pm

jock wrote:
Dawidio123 wrote:

The two things are not mutually exclusive. Considering how important bones are, I'll take q900 seals any day.
Mr_Bober

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas