Next World Salt Water Nodes

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Next World Salt Water Nodes

Postby Ø » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:17 am

For next world, assuming water tables go back to normal, what if there were insanely high quality salt water nodes that are only in Very Deep Ocean.

Let's say you could find a q400 Salt Water node as the absolute highest. Yes, it's insane, but the ocean is large and vdo damage may prevent it from being found. It would likely lead to the highest quality water and high quality stills would be required. Plus, idk... Epic ocean battles that lead to the death of many via drowning since it's a thing.

idk
*shrugs*
Ø

Re: Next World Salt Water Nodes

Postby Dawidio123 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:27 am

No. Please no.
And drowning is not a thing on a knarr.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Sevenless » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:31 am

Concept of oceans being more than open space filled with giant black/white death fish is cool, but finding a static node (or testing for it) in the middle of featureless water sounds extremely annoying to me.

In general, drowning mechanics need to be changed before more deep ocean content makes sense.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Ø » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:55 pm

Sevenless wrote:Concept of oceans being more than open space filled with giant black/white death fish is cool, but finding a static node (or testing for it) in the middle of featureless water sounds extremely annoying to me.

In general, drowning mechanics need to be changed before more deep ocean content makes sense.

This is where I was hoping this post would be taken. =]
Ø

Postby Barbamaus » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:17 pm

Sevenless wrote:finding a static node (or testing for it) in the middle of featureless water sounds extremely annoying to me.

+1
Checking for water spots is already boring, even more so in a barren ocean.

Oceans have a lot of potential, but need several improvements. Right now they are sort of pointless, since they are too narrow to stop you from crossing them with snekkjas (in some spots even with rowboats), and vortexes make it even more pointless.

If they were way bigger, knarr-only tiles, dotted with small islands (allowing mines to mine below deep water [not very deep]), would make them way cooler already. Add some more water animals and forageables (why are sponges the only submerged forageable?), and it would be more interesting. Only then you make very high salt water nodes a thing.
Barbamaus

Postby HarryDresden » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:49 pm

I only support high quality nodes if they're rotating/moving. Them being in a singular area is boring, oceans have currents. On top of that, a speed boost current would actually be pretty cool. Ride it like a jet stream.
Yes, I am a Wizard.
loftar wrote: bear fruit is not something I can predict,.

Beborn Beton wrote: "Don't Worry, They Won't Find My Body, I Want You To Know I Found Peace In Another World."
HarryDresden

Postby Uriel » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:16 pm

HarryDresden wrote:I only support high quality nodes if they're rotating/moving. Them being in a singular area is boring, oceans have currents. On top of that, a speed boost current would actually be pretty cool. Ride it like a jet stream.

That is cool.
Uriel

Postby Ø » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:42 pm

HarryDresden wrote:I only support high quality nodes if they're rotating/moving. Them being in a singular area is boring, oceans have currents. On top of that, a speed boost current would actually be pretty cool. Ride it like a jet stream.

Sounds good to me.
Ø

Postby rye130 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:55 pm

Moving water nodes would be dumb as fuck. Having to aimlessly wander around hoping you stumble open good water isn't fun to do a single time, having to do it every time you run out of water would be insufferable.
rye130

Postby Ø » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:59 pm

rye130 wrote:Moving water nodes would be dumb as fuck. Having to aimlessly wander around hoping you stumble open good water isn't fun to do a single time, having to do it every time you run out of water would be insufferable.

Eh, if it was done using a linear movement system you could follow it around the world. Would just mean plotting the systems movement and some extra travel and potential PVP to hit the highest part of the node. Most likely bots will be made to follow the node around. It would be a kind of catch up mechanic for those that don't spawn or setup bases near the highest node.

Nothing is perfect, but this would make sense.
Ø

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas