Springtime Rituals: Offerings to the Ancestors

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Springtime Rituals: Offerings to the Ancestors

Postby Sevenless » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:48 pm

We've seen that the funny haha break the game +250 water quality actually brought a lot of people back to playing. Realistically, as the world progresses quality gain slows down to a crawl and players get bored. Why don't we take advantage of this unintended experiment to add to the game?

With ancestral worship, players gain access to a special prayer that requires offerings at an altar. To prevent this from being abused too easily, we make it so offerings are tied to village idols. That way for balancing purposes there can be diminishing returns or timegate limits. Obviously not perfect, dummy villages have existed for a long time, but it's less abusive than simply pumping out fresh alts to generate xp for a realm type idea.

There are multiple types of offerings. each offering corresponds to a type of resource in the world. Forageables & Plants (includes wild trees, and boosting crop quality caps), Natural resources (water, clay, soil etc), Huntable Creatures, Mineable resources & Monsters. Each spring the total sum of the offerings in each category for the entire world are calculated, and pushes the base quality of everything up in that category.

The increase in quality should be notable, I'm talking +100 being possible in the late game. Because these offerings would impact all of the systems, you wouldn't have something like Q1000 seals that no one has a cutting tool to take advantage of. It also gives the players cooperative goals to aim towards, as opposed to deepworld quality gain being solely in the hands of factions.

What exactly the offerings should be though I'm not sure, or how quality could play into it. Really only a concept I'm curious if people think might be nice, it would certainly shake up the world as time progresses and give new life to an otherwise very stale endgame.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Re: Springtime Rituals: Offerings to the Ancestors

Postby HarryDresden » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:39 pm

Interested in this idea, could be fun for global progression and give cause to be more cooperative. Might also be interesting to see it tied into Kingdoms and encourage them to actually work with their citizens/villages.
Yes, I am a Wizard.
loftar wrote: bear fruit is not something I can predict,.

Beborn Beton wrote: "Don't Worry, They Won't Find My Body, I Want You To Know I Found Peace In Another World."
HarryDresden

Postby Scilly_guy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:53 pm

This was my post from 6 years ago about shrines to raise animal quality.
Scilly_guy

Postby Sevenless » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:44 pm

HarryDresden wrote:Interested in this idea, could be fun for global progression and give cause to be more cooperative. Might also be interesting to see it tied into Kingdoms and encourage them to actually work with their citizens/villages.

I don't want it tied to realms because as soon as you do, it becomes a competitive issue. Now dummy idols are incentivized because it boosts you compared to the enemy.

Haven doesn't have any cooperative inbuilt mechanics, why not try one out? People effectively use wells this way and the community as a whole enjoys it.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Ø » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:12 pm

Sevenless wrote:
HarryDresden wrote:Interested in this idea, could be fun for global progression and give cause to be more cooperative. Might also be interesting to see it tied into Kingdoms and encourage them to actually work with their citizens/villages.

I don't want it tied to realms because as soon as you do, it becomes a competitive issue. Now dummy idols are incentivized because it boosts you compared to the enemy.

Haven doesn't have any cooperative inbuilt mechanics, why not try one out? People effectively use wells this way and the community as a whole enjoys it.

Agreed. And markets. Even using markets as safe places to do one off trades are nice.

+1 for more co-op mechanics beyond the hermit and single village trading
Ø

Postby Fostik » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:42 pm

I'm sharing same thoughts.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=75506&start=370#p932151

IMO, w10 was so successful exactly because of metal spiraling qualities, and trading around it.
Just play around and make gameplay in this way and it'll be best game again.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Stoneface » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:26 pm

I think this would add a really interesting social layer and cause for cooperation, even if it isn't directly beneficial to you per se. I would probably participate and bring whatever my village could muster just to go be a part of a social experiment like this.

I may be biased from minoring in anthropology in college but, if nothing else, it is a reason to leave walls and generate player interactions. I would really enjoy seeing any sort of in-game global event that isn't meteors added. The more implementations and excitement, the better!

+1
Stoneface

Return to Critique & Ideas