Square beehive radius and mound beds ?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Square beehive radius and mound beds ?

Postby tadeo » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:01 pm

Like in topic
What you guys think about square beehive radius and mound beds ?

I think this will be nice thing all the field are square ofc ;p

Good example the new barter hands areas big + for that
World 2-4 Small steps in hermitting nothing big ¦]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
World 12 Ted Mega Chad Hermit
World 13 Ted Member of Kulwa Village / ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
World 14 Ted Member of Alpaca Farm
World 15 Ted Member of Tempest City
tadeo

Re: Square beehive radius and mound beds ?

Postby Barbamaus » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:09 pm

+1
As much as I like the design of circular fields, it's pretty annoying having to do round things on a square grid.

This could be extended to mine pillars as well, although I don't find those as much of a problem tbh
Barbamaus

Postby Dawidio123 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:52 pm

Eh, i get that this thought is because you want to take full advantage of the beehives and moundbeds without having to actually make your field circles. But honestly i think it's fine that they are like they are, you usually spam quite a bit of them anyways and you can just consider them to have a square area that's inside the circle if you want to, yes you'll be losing out on some possible space but it's not that big of a deal.
The question is which version of square are would you think is fair:
If it's the first, you can already use them like this and people who bother to make nice farms will get a bit more out of them, if it's the second then yeah it would be easier to get the most out of each beehive/mound bed.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Hickupp » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:04 pm

Squares, Circles. Blee ... Hexagons are (still) the Bestagons. 8-)
Hickupp

Postby Barbamaus » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:40 pm

Dawidio123 wrote:Eh, i get that this thought is because you want to take full advantage of the beehives and moundbeds without having to actually make your field circles. But honestly i think it's fine that they are like they are, you usually spam quite a bit of them anyways and you can just consider them to have a square area that's inside the circle if you want to, yes you'll be losing out on some possible space but it's not that big of a deal.

Although it's true people spam them already, having multiple hives overlapping cuts down on their efficiency.
While crops don't care if there's 1 or 10 beehives, as long as there's at least 1, beehives themselves do; their wax and honey production is based on how many crops they pollinate. Two hives can't pollinate the same plant at the same stage.

So you're stuck with perfect circle fields or one of these scenarios:
- Part of your field will be outside beehive range, growing slower than the rest
- Part of your field will be covered by multiple beehives, reducing their byproduct output/quality
- Your beehive will cover empty land around the fields, heavily reducing their byproduct output/quality

Either we need beehives to behave differently, or have a squared shape to make it easier to use them as intended.
Barbamaus

Postby Sevenless » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:51 am

People forget that beehives can only pollinate 50 tiles of crop at a time. They regenerate 144 charges a day, but since they can only store 50 it's kinda pointless. You could get funky about mixing multiple crop types, but that's not how people tend to farm.

This amount of hives is required because I have a 30% carrot growth speed node. But it would still require half that many just to properly pollinate the field.

You'd need roughly 11 beehives at the center of a circle field to fully pollinate it.

If we're talking about reworking beehives, making the mechanics more intuitive takes priority over niceness since the vast majority of players have no idea about this mechanic.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Barbamaus » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:35 pm

Sevenless wrote:People forget that beehives can only pollinate 50 tiles of crop at a time. They regenerate 144 charges a day, but since they can only store 50 it's kinda pointless. You could get funky about mixing multiple crop types, but that's not how people tend to farm.

This amount of hives is required because I have a 30% carrot growth speed node. But it would still require half that many just to properly pollinate the field.

You'd need roughly 11 beehives at the center of a circle field to fully pollinate it.

If we're talking about reworking beehives, making the mechanics more intuitive takes priority over niceness since the vast majority of players have no idea about this mechanic.

Wait, WHAT? :shock:
Guess i'm part of that majority... How was this even discovered?

If that's the case, they 100% need reworking.
Barbamaus

Postby joojoo1975 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:32 pm

Sevenless wrote:People forget that beehives can only pollinate 50 tiles of crop at a time. They regenerate 144 charges a day, but since they can only store 50 it's kinda pointless. You could get funky about mixing multiple crop types, but that's not how people tend to farm.

Yea, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Please enlighten/educate me(no sarcasm friend)

For instance:

The actual radius of the beehive is i believe 13 by 13 circle. but you are saying, in that radius only 50 tiles are pollinated a game day?

so if that's the case, how many beehives would it take to fully pollinate the entire radius in one day?
To Protect The Helpless From The Heartless
joojoo1975

Postby Hickupp » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:57 am

joojoo1975 wrote: but you are saying, in that radius only 50 tiles are pollinated a game day?

Nope. Alternative version.
Sevenless (a long time ago) wrote:"Each time a crop grows to the next stage, it checks if there's a beehive within range. If it finds beehive, the time before the next stage change is reduced, and the beehive receives a usage tick. Beehives can store up to 50 uses (and noting how jorb worded it, it's likely they start will a full 50 when first created), and will regenerate 6 uses per hour. Crops using a beehive will cause honey and wax production (exact mechanics unknown), but jorb has stated there is a low level of base production of honey/wax by a hive even if it has no crops nearby." -Sevenless
Hickupp

Postby SiO2 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:21 am

Barbamaus wrote:Wait, WHAT? :shock:
Guess i'm part of that majority... How was this even discovered?

If that's the case, they 100% need reworking.

Well. It was described in one of patchnotes. Every old player is aware, but it is kind of information that can be missed by returning player or newbie who plays without old player in team.
Bronies for life /)
SiO2

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas