Fixing Constitution Gear

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Fixing Constitution Gear

Postby Barbamaus » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:21 pm

Logic would suggest that Constitution gear gives you a better chance at surviving. WRONG. YOU'RE DEAD.

Nobody should die because you get undressed, and CON gear should be something sought after by fighters, not something to avoid at all costs.

Solution:
When you remove a piece of CON gear, instead of losing your extra HHP instantly, a timer starts.
During the first few minutes, there's no change to your HHP. After several minutes (Time A), you gradually lose those extra HHP over the course of a longer span of time (Time B).

Example:
You wear a piece of equipment that gives you 10 CON, so you gain 10 HHP.
You get KOed and such piece of equipment is removed. The timer starts.
- For the first 15 minutes (TIME A), nothing changes. Your HHP stays constant. This gives you time to teleport back to your HF, eat to full energy, possibly medicate yourself or wear more CON gear (more on this later).
- After 15 minutes (TIME A) have passed, you begin losing HHP at a steady rate for the next-for example-hour (TIME B). So in this example you would lose 1 HHP every 6 minutes.
In a similar situation, with gear giving you 60 CON (60 HHP), you would lose 1 HHP per minute.

What happens if you wear more CON gear during TIME B? The new bonus you get gets subtracted by the amount of HHP you'll be losing in that span of time.
So in our example, if I added gear that gives me 4 CON (4 HHP), I would only need to lose 6 HHP.

Conclusion
While TIME A and TIME B likely need to be balanced after more consideration, I believe a similar system would be enough to make CON gildings and gear a viable option for fighters and hunters, without risking certain death if they get KOed.
Barbamaus

Re: Fixing Constitution Gear

Postby Dawidio123 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:56 pm

Very much overcomplicated (as in another esoteric knowledge that won't be explained ingame), just calculating concussion based on your white consti would make them a lot less shit (arguably you'd still get more wounds because of possibly taking more hits).
Worth considering the fact that if the hp overhaul made it into this world the whole consti gildings issue would not be a thing.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Barbamaus » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:11 pm

Dawidio123 wrote:Very much overcomplicated (as in another esoteric knowledge that won't be explained ingame), just calculating concussion based on your white consti would make them a lot less shit (arguably you'd still get more wounds because of possibly taking more hits).
Worth considering the fact that if the hp overhaul made it into this world the whole consti gildings issue would not be a thing.

You're right, this would likely be a hidden mechanic, so not great for new players.
Still less deadly than the counter-intuitive health boost gear being a death sentence, but let's look for other options.

Calculating concussions on base CON is interesting, but doesn't really solve the issue of losing HHP when stripped done.

Adding CON as a sort of Temporary SHP bonus could be an option, but I think it would just make it easier to kill someone rather than harder... Ideas?
Barbamaus

Postby Dawidio123 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:27 pm

Barbamaus wrote:Calculating concussions on base CON is interesting, but doesn't really solve the issue of losing HHP when stripped done.

Adding CON as a sort of Temporary SHP bonus could be an option, but I think it would just make it easier to kill someone rather than harder... Ideas?

It would basically mean that if you die when stripped you would've died without it, except the cases where those extra few hits got you low enough as to kill you (which are arguably quite rare, concussion is the main source of it). On the other hand you would be able to handle a couple extra hits before getting to the KO so you might just survive because of it.
You could argue for systems like con gilds extra hp not taking wounds or something, but once again it seems quite esoteric at best.
I'm honestly counting for the hp changes to be tested and actually implemented in the next world thus removing the issue entirely.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby terechgracz » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:47 pm

There is simpler way. Just make con gear not kill you after you take it off.
terechgracz

Postby Sevenless » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:08 pm

Just replace con stats with a damage reduction gilding.

Con isn't fixable without being obtuse as heck, so better to just be honest at this stage and put in something that con gear feels like it should do. Give you more effective hitpoints in a fight.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Barbamaus » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:21 am

Dawidio123 wrote:It would basically mean that if you die when stripped you would've died without it, except the cases where those extra few hits got you low enough as to kill you (which are arguably quite rare, concussion is the main source of it).

True, but even though it would be rarer it would still be an issue. Not sure how many would use CON gilding knowing that's still a possibility.

Dawidio123 wrote:I'm honestly counting for the hp changes to be tested and actually implemented in the next world thus removing the issue entirely.

Same. I was very sad when they scrapped the changes they announced. I know they had issues and needed more testing, so I hope to see them soon enough.

Sevenless wrote:Just replace con stats with a damage reduction gilding.

That might work, but how would you balance it? CON is pretty straightforward: 1 CON = 1 HP.
Barbamaus

Postby mulamishne » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:05 am

Rework current con gildings into other stats and just don't have the con gildings.

Sevenless wrote:Just replace con stats with a damage reduction gilding.

Like... ac bonus?
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby Paider1958 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:58 pm

I especially like the concept of new CON gear offsetting the HP loss - it encourages strategic thinking and adaptability in the heat of battle.
Paider1958

Postby Clemins » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:31 pm

Perhaps one way to make CON gildings actually usable is making your actual base CON define your HHP, and any extra CON from gildings or potions just allows you to "overheal" your SHP like a buffer sort of thing. This is a weird example, but kind of how shield HP works in Risk of Rain 2

Simple and elegant :)
Clemins

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas