Memories of Pain and Star Touched

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Memories of Pain and Star Touched

Postby Ø » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:23 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote:If the meaningless bit of text is something you find so annoying it shouldn't be too hard to just focus more on whether or not you received it when using a spinning wheel. The star shard spreading actually makes some sense as to prevent multiple uses in a row of the star shard and such. I understand it may be hard to avoid specifically when trading, however, if you truly care about it that much it should be incredibly easy to prevent the spread of both.

I don't really see why this would ever be something the devs should actually change.

MoP can be created on starved animals and spreads through birth and lactation to all other animals that are suckling/born. Any products those animals then create have MoP; bones, hide, meat, etc. A single piece of meat going into your feeding trough/cistern spreads to everything that eats that swill. In order to get rid of infected items, as some people argue, you have to start you entire farm/herd over and dump all of your swill.

There is no way to break the implementation of inheritance otherwise. If MoP were changed to half the FEP of the produced items, which I feel it should, this would create major problems, of which, you would then be in full support of changing the way MoP works and removing its spread. Simply because something has only a text based effect does not mean it will remain that way indefinitely.

Counter-argument, "that's not how it works now and probably never will." And yet, it should.

As for Star Touched, what is its purpose for infecting pots of any kind and producing logs, garden items, and the like with Star Touched? This prevents generational use of Star Shards. It's more than just preventing back to back use. But...
Barbamaus wrote:Star touched is supposed to spread, to avoid spamming it. Although there is a workaround for stone axes...

And yet, there is no workaround for other items. You gotta dump them or deal with it. And if you get another shard later and all your wood is infected... tough fucking luck or hope you can find someone willing to trade with the quality that you need.

I think the quote from Barbamaus says a lot.
Ø

Postby Dawidio123 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:06 pm

Ø wrote:...

Bro you're sperging out over some flavor text, and the odds of it suddenly being bad in the middle of a world are close to none (especially considering the rate of updates), you just made up that argument to make yourself sound less insane while it's clear it's just your OCD acting up from having the flavor text.

Don't start on startouched spread, it's fine as it is, removing it would lead to a very retarded state of the game. The workaround for axes is good but not OP:

Let's say you have 100ql axe, you mine out 150 ql stone (base stone quality is 200, assuming you aren't capping it with masonry) and you have let's say 60ql blocks, you up the stone to 190ql using brilliant jotun starshard (expensive and rare), you use axe to make sticks and they turn out 77ql, you get 133 quality axe. (+33ql)
Now you can mine out 166 quality stone, starshard it again get a 206 quality stone, make sticks that turn out to be 89 quality, you make a new axe, it's 147 quality (+14ql).
So if you try to do it once again, you'll mine out 173 + 40 = 213ql (starsharded), the stick is 94ql, the axe will be 153 quality. (+6ql).

As you can see thanks to startouched the boost you can get from starshards while very much great (You can calculate the gains without starshards on your own, it'll end up being maybe like +20-40ql compared to non-starshard), it is limited so someone who can throw dozens of tokens on trade (basically rmt) won't be 100s of quality ahead of you JUST because of it.

If there was no startouched spread that's how it would work:
Starshard the block up to 100ql, starshard the stone up to 190ql, starshard the first axe to 140ql, you get 118ql sticks that you starshard to be 158ql. You make axe that's 174 quality that you boost with starshard to be 214 quality, which then makes sticks that are 146ql+40ql (starshard) 186ql, the stone would be 187ql + 40ql = 227ql, make an axe again and it's 206 ql + 40ql starshard = 246ql axe... And you can keep going for quite a bit like that just by throwing a very rare and limited resource at the industry, not great for anyone especially people who can't throw hundreds of tokens at trade.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby Ø » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:59 pm

Dawidio123 wrote:...

I guess I should be more clear on Star Touched. I don't think it should be spread to the items grown in the pots. I never said get rid of Star Touched spread entirely, but my previous posts were unclear on this...

MoP should be changed. Just because something ate something else that has MoP doesn't mean it went through that experience. You don't get the memories of a monkey by eating its brain. It's not mad cow disease. It's not e. coli. It's not listeria. It's fucking memories. No one is mixing these memories with A Beautiful Dream or smoking them with opium to remember them. It makes no sense that it would spread.
Ø

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:20 pm

A single line of text that does nothing but cause all hermits to fly into an incomprehensible rage will always be hilarious
DDDsDD999

Postby Ø » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:28 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:A single line of text that does nothing but cause all hermits to fly into an incomprehensible rage will always be hilarious

Why do you think I keep posting? This is amusing to me.
Ø

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:14 am

Ø wrote:MoP can be created on starved animals

Are you sure about this? I thought it was only created from the spinning wheel EXP event. I've never once heard this, however, I guess I don't have any absolute proof it's not the case.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Ø » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:57 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote:
Ø wrote:MoP can be created on starved animals

Are you sure about this? I thought it was only created from the spinning wheel EXP event. I've never once heard this, however, I guess I don't have any absolute proof it's not the case.

Yes, I am 100% sure of this as it is the reason I culled half my herd 2 months ago due to a lack of food causing MoP on my animals. Further more, I am 100% sure that it is passed through lactating infected animals to suckling animals.

I am pretty sure that it is passed through animal breeding. However, I have found this to be difficult to track and confirm due to the suckling/lactating spread of MoP.

Can confirm; am retard. Unintentional testing was conducted. *facepalm*
Ø

Postby DonVelD » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:46 pm

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Ø » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:04 pm

Look! A puppy!
Ø

Postby springyb » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:06 pm

DonVelD wrote:Make a disease that spreads like memories of pain just to spite this guy

MØP'd items should lose 10 effective quality.
springyb

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas